So new gaming systems have finally arrived! I already have an extensive Switch library. Felt in a contrarian mood (what else is new?) and opted for the Series X first among the two new ones this year. Will be getting a PlayStation 5 too next year though, I just can't afford them both this year.

Why did I pick Series X over PS5 this year? Well...

1) it's got better graphical capabilities than PS5,
2) it's faster than PS5, so far anyway,
3) it's quieter than PS5,
4) it's got superior backward compatibility,
5) it's got Game Pass,
6) it's smaller than PS5,
7) it's gonna wind up with more launch window games of interest to me, and...
8) it's the same price as PS5.

For clarity on the games part of it...yeah, I'm not really the most conventional in my personal gaming preferences.

Games I want for the Series X listed in the order that they interest me:
As Dusk Falls
Lake
The Big Con
The Artful Escape
Everwild
The Medium
Call of the Sea
State of Decay 3
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
Psychonauts 2
Bright Memory Infinite
Sable
Last Stop
Song of Iron
Exo One

Games I want for the PlayStation 5, listed in the order that they interest me:

Stray
Solar Ash
Goodbye Volcano High
Where the Heart Is
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Haven
Marquette
Jett: The Far Shore
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Oddworld: Soulstorm
Destruction AllStars
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Deathloop

Yeah, I'll admit it, I generally prefer artsier games to more conventional fare. Anyway, the thing is that games like The Medium, Call of the Sea, and Bright Memory Infinite should all be available realistically within like two or three months and those are higher priorities for me than anything releasing in the same time window for PlayStation 5. You may have noticed the absence of the new Spider-Man game and I think that's the dif between me and your average gamer here really. That's the main reason people cite for picking a PS5 right now, I've noticed, but that type O' game juuuuuuust isn't really my bag, to be perfectly honest.

I think there's also like maybe a psychological factor going on here. Like Sony had Travis Scott out promoting the PS5 while Microsoft had Snoop Dogg promoting the Series X. ...Ya know, I'm a certain age where I don't really keep up with new music that much. I know who Snoop Dogg is. I don't know who Travis Scott is except that I hear he's a rapper popular with the Gen Z kids today. Likewise, superior backward compatibility is another thing that says to me that Microsoft's target demographic here is older; more like in my age range. I'm biased in these ways. I feel like Microsoft wants me to buy their system and that I'm maybe a slightly lower priority in the first year for Sony. Ya know? Then again, who is the "me" demographic anyway? Like what niche do I fall into for $#@! sakes? *shrugs* Well, it just feels like the Xbox people want my business a little more. That's all I'm saying. It's a factor too.

Like I said though, I'll get a PS5 too next year anyway.