User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear, is the Pope is a l**r too?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,581x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Is it his responsibility to understand the political nature of a particular issue or is it his job to allow Christian standards to be influenced by political issues?
    Yes, it absolutely is his responsibility to understand the problems he wishes to pontificate on (shameless pun intended). To do less demeans the Papacy. To say that the West needs to love their neighbor and the stranger in the context of immigration/migration patterns and all of the political problems they create, for example, is simply inane. His problem is that at times he only perceives things through an ethical or moral lens when it's 1) simplistic and 2) not always appropriate.
    Last edited by Mister D; 12-03-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-04-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    What are you talking about? The only insane level of personal worship I have seen for a President was this guy:

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the piece of $#@! looks to me like he is terribly amused with it all, like the devil would be in scoffing at the motions.

Plus, if that's his ring finger, then he has raised his left hand, and the photo is simply reversed. In what instance does one give an oath -- or whatever he's doing -- with his right hand on the Bible?
    Last edited by Lummy; 12-03-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,138x in 28,530 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pope is meant to follow the Catholic Church Doctrine. The Pope is to make sure that people stay to the the Doctrine not alter it to fit what people want to do.

Anyone can certainly argue how legitimate that is based on how many times the Catholic Church rewrote its own dogma and history.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I get that.

However, all the events happening in the US and globally have the feel of a coordinated coup, at least to me. That's what's important.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (12-03-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Yes, it absolutely is his responsibility to understand the problems he wishes to pontificate on (shameless pun intended). To do less demeans the Papacy. To say that the West needs to love their neighbor and the stranger in the context of immigration/migration patterns and all of the political problems they create, for example, is simply inane. His problem is that at times he only perceives things through an ethical or moral lens when it's 1) simplistic and 2) not always appropriate.
    I think that the slippery slope there is western "values and norms", politically or otherwise might influence the standard of Christianity if that makes sense.

Basically what we see here, in this thread now, he gets bashed over western, imperialistic trigger terms like "marxism" and all that nonsense, because western values wants a pope more like Trump than Christ - my original point.
    my junk is ugly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Mister D (12-03-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that the slippery slope there is western "values and norms", politically or otherwise might influence the standard of Christianity if that makes sense.

Basically what we see here, in this thread now, he gets bashed over western, imperialistic trigger terms like "marxism" and all that nonsense, because western values wants a pope more like Trump than Christ - my original point.
    As I see it, some issues cannot be reduced to simple moral or ethical formulae. Pope Francis has a bad habit of doing precisely that.

Hypocrisy, as well as ignorance, abounds. What you said does make sense. Pope Francis will often be vilified by the American right for saying things that are so basic to Christianity his critics sound more like latter day Calvinists or, better still, Jews than Christians. Any mention of the common good and a just society is interpreted as Marxism. Yes, it's kind of retarded. That said, Francis earns quite a bit of criticism as well.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (12-03-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    The Pope is meant to follow the Catholic Church Doctrine. The Pope is to make sure that people stay to the the Doctrine not alter it to fit what people want to do.

Anyone can certainly argue how legitimate that is based on how many times the Catholic Church rewrote its own dogma and history.
    What dogmas has the Catholic Church rewritten?

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    As I see it, some issues cannot be reduced to simple moral or ethical formulae. Pope Francis has a bad habit of doing precisely that.

Hypocrisy, as well as ignorance, abounds. What you said does make sense. Pope Francis will often be vilified by the American right for saying things that are so basic to Christianity his critics sound more like latter day Calvinists or, better still, Jews than Christians. Any mention of the common good and a just society is interpreted as Marxism. Yes, it's kind of retarded. That said, Francis earns quite a bit of criticism as well.
    How so? Criticism?

Curious your thoughts on that, this isn't a "gotcha" question at all. You go way deeper into this stuff than I and 98% of this forum and I respect and value your opinion.

And I think I can almost anticipate where you're coming from but I think of Popes in terms of Christ, but historically, moreso before modern ages they were highly political and power and control minded. Wars, imperialism and all that. Nothing that Christ represented. At least in Western values contrary to Islamic values which in my folksy mind were really similar in a lot of respects.
    my junk is ugly

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Mister D (12-04-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How so? Criticism?

Curious your thoughts on that, this isn't a "gotcha" question at all. You go way deeper into this stuff than I and 98% of this forum and I respect and value your opinion.

And I think I can almost anticipate where you're coming from but I think of Popes in terms of Christ, but historically, moreso before modern ages they were highly political and power and control minded. Wars, imperialism and all that. Nothing that Christ represented. At least in Western values contrary to Islamic values which in my folksy mind were really similar in a lot of respects.
    I appreciate the compliment.

As I mentioned earlier, the Pope's pronouncements on the immigration/migration issue are infuriating. They're insouciant at best but not a few perceive some hostility to Europe and the US. This certainly isn't a racial or ethnic thing. Pope Francis is a dago. Like many Argentines, his ancestors are from Italy. I think it has something to do with the consumerism and materialism we discussed earlier. I actually agree with the Pope in that regard but not to the point of suicide. His biggest problem, however is his lack of clarity and his naivety. He'll make comments in interviews, for example, that are kind of vague and leave far too much room for interpretation. His recent remarks about civil unions are a great example. During an interview he gave for a documentary about his work in the Church he advocated for civil union laws and said that we need to be more accepting of homosexuals. They shouldn't be ostracized etc. As per usual, activists and progressives portrayed it as a revolution in the RCC. When I first read the story (posted here by an evangelical as an attack on the Pope) I could see why there was so much confusion and negativity. Is the Church changing its stance on marriage? Is gay marriage OK now? In reality, he was taken out of context and after doing a little research it was much easier to reconcile his remarks with Catholic teaching. He has allowed this to happen time and again. He grants interviews and makes off the cuff remarks to people who abuse the privilege.

The truth is that the Pope has always been a political figure and I don't think that's a bad thing per se. I'm not sure I agree about "wars and imperialism" but what occurred to me is that while you're right to point out the hypocrisy of some American Christians the hypocrisy of the left is just as blatant. Have you ever noticed how religion in the public sphere is suddenly awesome when Pope Francis says something they can use? One day progressives here are fond of telling us what a "real" Christian would support when it comes to the poor. The day before they were $#@!ting the bed over a Nativity scene and telling us that religion has no place in public life.
    Last edited by Mister D; 12-04-2020 at 11:32 AM.

~Alain de Benoist

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (12-04-2020),Cthulhu (12-04-2020)

+ Reply to Thread