User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From Dusk Till Dawn (the series) WARNING! SPOILERS!

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Dusk Till Dawn (the series) WARNING! SPOILERS!

Just finished watching, on Netflix, the first two seasons of this ultimately disappointing show. I started the third, was turned off even more as the downhill slide had turned into a tumble, then skipped to the end of the last episode to see how it ended. It was lame.

Unless you are a totally uncritical Vampire groupie I would not recommend.

Here's the Wiki skinny on the show:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_D...wn:_The_Series

My take:

The first issue is D. J. Cotrona as Seth Gecko. He is a poorly thought out replacement for the original George Clooney of the movie. Clooney is a true tough guy bad-ass. Cotrona comes across as just a smart mouthed punk.

Issue number two is the attempt to "rehabilitate" Richie Gecko. In the movie (written by Quentin Tarantino), Richie is played by Tarantino. Tarantino is, IMHO, technically insane (but absolutely brilliant), and his insanity shines through in his portrayal of Richie. Counterwise, Zane Holtz's portrayal is a weak-sauce counterfeit. Though this may be due to the direction of the script, which brings me to issue #3.

Issue three is that the series tries to tone down, humanize, and "heroize" the Gecko brothers, particularly the insane Richie. In the movie, Richie rapes and torture-kills their female hostage. Because that is what he does. He's nuts, and a sadist. In the series he simply kills and mutilates her, because he is apparently being confused and driven mad by telepathic messages from the Queen of the Vampires, Santanico Pandemonium, who is "calling" to him to free her from her slavery... which leads to issue #4.

The fourth issue is that, to pad out the movie, the writers include in the series the unstated background mythology of the movie. The vampires are the Snake People or Culebras of Mexico. They have nine Lords who rule them with an iron fist. The Culebras exist by shaking down everyone else for protection money, and each Lord has his/her "blood & flesh" harvesting operation to capture, kill, and eat people who won't be missed too much (generally criminals, bikers, and truckers). (The Titty Twister strip club and hooker bar is the harvesting operation of the head Lord and over-the-top Big Bad, Lord Amancio Malvado).

So its like Mafia With Fangs, and they have their own rich history as supposedly mentioned in the Popol Vuh, which segues to....

Issue #5 is that, included in that mythology is mention of the Hero Brothers, from the Popol Vuh. Taa-daa! That's the "in" for the Gecko brothers to slowly morph into insipid and unbelievable Good Guys. This totally destroys the "charm" of the movie, where the dynamic is bad-ass Bad Guys being taken down by victims who are badder-asser Bad Guys.

Except they are not actually Good Guys. In this, they are identical to the rest of the cast. Issue #6, and the most important in my estimation, is that Every. Single. Main. Character. (and not a few of the minor ones) in this series is a sociopath. All of them, including the Texas Ranger, and all of the Evangelical Family characters. They all seem incapable of empathy. Their motivations are what Ayn Rand might characterize as Irrational Selfish, where their perspective for any action is the momentary personal advantage of the immediate moment. I found myself not caring about any of them.

The one exception is a minor vampire, who befriends one of the main characters and is killed off for his trouble by the other vampires in the space of one episode.

The last issue, #7, is the silly way that vampires in the series attack. They go all snakey... and then POSE for a moment, presumably so their victim can have the time to be terrified of their snake-like mottled skin, glowy eyes, snake-like fangs, and hissing and/or growling. Except that do that even when fighting other vampires. Pfft. Any vampire of any of the vampire stories or series I've read would have been able to utterly destroy them in those 2 or 3 useless preening seconds.

So there you have it, my take on From Dusk Till Dawn, The Series. In summary, starts out OK, declines slowly during season 1, declines faster during season 2, and falls off a cliff in season 3.
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given