User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity and Other Problems Barring Teens from Military Service Need National Attentio

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Consider the demographics from which recruits are typically drawn. The military is the employer of last resort. If the health, education and behaviors of people from these demographics are declining, it signifies more than just a problem for the military.
    They took away the vocational schools.
    They took away the manufacturing jobs.

Kids had other alternatives to make a decent wage or more coming out of high school.

Employer of last resort was not true in the past. Every 18 year old kid wanted to get out of the house asap. The military gave them that start and even if they stayed in the minimum, they usually became desirable employees.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Sybil Ludington (12-28-2020)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sybil Ludington's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,497x in 3,308 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we can agree why the military would not want this $#@!: "already faced several felony charges in North Carolina that include auto theft and charges related to fraud and forgery"

Man Denied Enlistment in Military Returns to Recruitment Center, Does the Unthinkable

https://www.westernjournal.com/man-d...e67b2f02003c45

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sybil Ludington For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (12-28-2020)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    phoenix's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44x in 35 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    While this is a legitimate concern for our Military it reflects on a more serious problem for society in general.

As I have noted before the number one killer of people under 50 is drug overdose with COVID not even on the radar. Then again the next generation of Obese and drug abusers will be easy COVID type virus victims.
    In my long life I've never seen so many obese people, and with people staying at home more now it's got to be many times worse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sybil Ludington's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,497x in 3,308 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    In my long life I've never seen so many obese people, and with people staying at home more now it's got to be many times worse.
    I've been surprised by how many police department have dropped weight guidelines. I've seen MANY KCMO cops that I thought....WOW! Hope my life doesn't depend on how fast they can get to me~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sybil Ludington For This Useful Post:

phoenix (12-28-2020)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mechanic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 99x in 75 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This nation needs to institute PE in schools again! We need to get children active and moving instead of sitting and computers.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mechanic For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-28-2020),Sybil Ludington (12-28-2020)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    The military is not generally the employer of last resort for many, especially out of high school. People join because they want to.
    Lower socioeconomic status is positively correlated with military recruitment:

"An important predictor to military service in the general population is family income. Those with lower family income are more likely to join the military than those with higher family income. Thus the military may indeed be a career option for those for whom there are few better opportunities. For such enlistees, military service can open opportunities that would not otherwise be available. Indeed, research has found that military service often serves as a positive turning point in the career trajectories of enlistees from disadvantaged circumstances (Elder 1986, 1987; Sampson and Laub 1996). A popular claim is that those of low socioeconomic status are more likely to be assigned to combat roles within the military than those from higher socioeconomic backgrounds. Based on this, it is said that the poor serve as cannon fodder in fighting for their nation during times of war. Gimbel and Booth (1996) have found that during the Vietnam War those with lower AFQT scores were more likely to be assigned to combat arms and to go to Vietnam, but they did not examine the impact of socioeconomic status. Thus, further research might investigate whether socioeconomic status is significantly related to one‘s assignment once one is accepted into the military.

In conclusion, among race, socioeconomic status, and immigration status, socioeconomic status is the only significant predictor of having ever served in the military. Class differences in military enlistment likely reflect differences in the non-military occupational opportunity, structured along class lines. This research shows that the all-volunteer force continues to see overrepresentation of the working and middle classes, with fewer incentives for upper class participation."
    Who Joins the Military?: A Look at Race, Class, and Immigration Status (syr.edu)
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Mechanic (12-28-2020),Standing Wolf (01-02-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously written by some limp wristed dweeb who wouldn't be able to make it in the military if her life depended on it.

How much time did YOU spend in one of the branches of service? You seem to think you know a lot about who serves and why. Regale us with your experiences in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard. Tell us about the people YOU knew and served with. Maybe you and that Amy idiot who wrote the article could get together and share your insight with the rest of us.
    Last edited by Cletus; 12-28-2020 at 05:01 PM.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (12-29-2020),Peter1469 (12-28-2020),Sybil Ludington (12-28-2020)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    phoenix's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44x in 35 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybil Ludington View Post
    I've been surprised by how many police department have dropped weight guidelines. I've seen MANY KCMO cops that I thought....WOW! Hope my life doesn't depend on how fast they can get to me~
    Yeah, we've all noticed that for a long time now. I guess, like the Military, they must have few to recruit from. If you look back decades in pictures it's almost hard to find an obese person in the crowd. I do know that some people probably have the DNA for obesity and that makes it harder for them.

When this discussion comes up I always think of the little boy in 'The Sixth Sense' saying, "I see 'dead' people everywhere".......... slapping myself,

16. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Lower socioeconomic status is positively correlated with military recruitment:

"An important predictor to military service in the general population is family income. Those with lower family income are more likely to join the military than those with higher family income. Thus the military may indeed be a career option for those for whom there are few better opportunities. For such enlistees, military service can open opportunities that would not otherwise be available. Indeed, research has found that military service often serves as a positive turning point in the career trajectories of enlistees from disadvantaged circumstances (Elder 1986, 1987; Sampson and Laub 1996). A popular claim is that those of low socioeconomic status are more likely to be assigned to combat roles within the military than those from higher socioeconomic backgrounds. Based on this, it is said that the poor serve as cannon fodder in fighting for their nation during times of war. Gimbel and Booth (1996) have found that during the Vietnam War those with lower AFQT scores were more likely to be assigned to combat arms and to go to Vietnam, but they did not examine the impact of socioeconomic status. Thus, further research might investigate whether socioeconomic status is significantly related to one‘s assignment once one is accepted into the military.

In conclusion, among race, socioeconomic status, and immigration status, socioeconomic status is the only significant predictor of having ever served in the military. Class differences in military enlistment likely reflect differences in the non-military occupational opportunity, structured along class lines. This research shows that the all-volunteer force continues to see overrepresentation of the working and middle classes, with fewer incentives for upper class participation."
    Who Joins the Military?: A Look at Race, Class, and Immigration Status (syr.edu)
    Well I actually served. Yes lower economic classes do make up a lot of the enlisted, but they joined to serve. But I was airborne infantry (as enlisted). Perhaps the guys in the REMF (re-echelon M Fers) were as you describe.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yeah, we've all noticed that for a long time now. I guess, like the Military, they must have few to recruit from. If you look back decades in pictures it's almost hard to find an obese person in the crowd. I do know that some people probably have the DNA for obesity and that makes it harder for them.

When this discussion comes up I always think of the little boy in 'The Sixth Sense' saying, "I see 'dead' people everywhere".......... slapping myself,
    There is no DNA for obesity that you are stuck with. Forget genetics, think epigenetics. Our genes hold all sorts of possibilities. Our environment and lifestyle choices turn off and on those genes.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

phoenix (12-28-2020)

+ Reply to Thread