User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Blackish Squirrel

  1. #21
    Points: 52,586, Level: 56
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,864
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial50000 Experience Points
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    17324
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    21,078
    Points
    52,586
    Level
    56
    Thanks Given
    19,840
    Thanked 17,316x in 11,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    90% of the pictures of black squirrels I get on my trail cams are just midair black streaks, lol.
    Ours are Kunta Kinte black

    Fox-squirrel-150x150.jpg

    You will not see anything else on the Golf courses here.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

    donttread (01-16-2021)

  3. #22
    Points: 52,586, Level: 56
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,864
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial50000 Experience Points
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    17324
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    21,078
    Points
    52,586
    Level
    56
    Thanks Given
    19,840
    Thanked 17,316x in 11,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BSLM. Cancel Michelin!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

    donttread (03-01-2021),stjames1_53 (02-28-2021)

  5. #23
    Points: 136,362, Level: 89
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 3,088
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    83411
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43,282
    Points
    136,362
    Level
    89
    Thanks Given
    8,619
    Thanked 15,376x in 11,321 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    There is a full on black squirrel that bounces around down the street a lot. It was the first time I ever saw one. Did not know they even existed.
    Pitch black.

    Striking aren't they? Odd color for a day critter though

  6. #24
    Points: 136,362, Level: 89
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 3,088
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    83411
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43,282
    Points
    136,362
    Level
    89
    Thanks Given
    8,619
    Thanked 15,376x in 11,321 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    My cats drug on in about three years ago. Hid behind the refrigerator.
    I locked up the cats and shooed her out.
    She hopped like a frog. very odd.
    My mother put a big pan over it and slowly slid it to the door and I saw another one once on our screen on the porch. Huge eyes, which of course makes sense. I never got to see one move on the ground so I don't know if that is normal for them or not.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Retirednsmilin308 (01-19-2021)

  8. #25

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 168,068, Level: 97
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,582
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    179328
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    30,819
    Points
    168,068
    Level
    97
    Thanks Given
    10,053
    Thanked 24,590x in 13,531 Posts
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    There are black squirrels in Palo Alto. You see them up and down San Antonio Road: not dark grey, jet black. I had never seen one before then.
    Black squirrels were brought to Kent State University in 1961 by Larry Wooddell, who was the grounds superinten-dent, and “Biff” Staples, a retired Davey Tree employee. They called the mission “Operation Black Squirrel”.
    https://www-s3-live.kent.edu/s3fs-ro...ctober2013.pdf


    Ten black squirrels were trapped in Canada and released onto the Kent State University grounds in 1961. Now hundreds of the furry rodents inhabit the city of Kent and surrounding areas and have become the unofficial mascot of Kent State. “I think the first time it is rather jarring to see an entire campus with black furry things,” said Heather White, manager of campus environment and operations at Kent State. “But it is a point of pride.”

    The black squirrel is a variety of the eastern gray squirrel. This variation was much more common before the 16th century since their color helped them camouflage in the dense forests of North America before trees were cleared for agriculture which made them easily seen. They were killed off and their gray counterparts thrived. Kent State became home to the squirrels after grounds superintendent Larry Woodell and his friend “Biff” Staples negotiated with Canadian wildlife authorities to capture ten squirrels and bring them to the University in order to preserve the species.


    After over 50 years, the black squirrels have become famous. KSU celebrates the bushy-tailed creatures with the Black Squirrel Festival every year in September.

    https://blacksquirrelsofkent.wordpress.com/


    blk-squirrel.png


    201208_black-squirrel-statue_7752909650.jpg
    Last edited by DGUtley; 01-16-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

    carolina73 (02-28-2021),donttread (01-19-2021),jet57 (01-16-2021)

  10. #26
    Points: 38,850, Level: 48
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2077
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    14,398
    Points
    38,850
    Level
    48
    Thanks Given
    1,495
    Thanked 2,067x in 1,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Black squirrels were brought to Kent State University in 1961 by Larry Wooddell, who was the grounds superinten-dent, and “Biff” Staples, a retired Davey Tree employee. They called the mission “Operation Black Squirrel”.
    https://www-s3-live.kent.edu/s3fs-ro...ctober2013.pdf


    Ten black squirrels were trapped in Canada and released onto the Kent State University grounds in 1961. Now hundreds of the furry rodents inhabit the city of Kent and surrounding areas and have become the unofficial mascot of Kent State. “I think the first time it is rather jarring to see an entire campus with black furry things,” said Heather White, manager of campus environment and operations at Kent State. “But it is a point of pride.”

    The black squirrel is a variety of the eastern gray squirrel. This variation was much more common before the 16th century since their color helped them camouflage in the dense forests of North America before trees were cleared for agriculture which made them easily seen. They were killed off and their gray counterparts thrived. Kent State became home to the squirrels after grounds superintendent Larry Woodell and his friend “Biff” Staples negotiated with Canadian wildlife authorities to capture ten squirrels and bring them to the University in order to preserve the species.


    After over 50 years, the black squirrels have become famous. KSU celebrates the bushy-tailed creatures with the Black Squirrel Festival every year in September.

    https://blacksquirrelsofkent.wordpress.com/


    Attachment 34382


    Attachment 34383
    They're black as coal out here.


    Black squirrel.jpg
    Make everything from toy guns that spark, to flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark. Itís easy to see without looking too far, that not much is really sacred.
    Thomas Jefferson (to Richard Price) January 8. 1789 "...wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government..."

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

    donttread (02-18-2021)

  12. #27
    Points: 136,362, Level: 89
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 3,088
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    83411
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43,282
    Points
    136,362
    Level
    89
    Thanks Given
    8,619
    Thanked 15,376x in 11,321 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mt friend has not been seen in a week or so. His color probably got him killed because he satnds out like a becan in the white and brown back drop of a NNY winter. He will be missed.

  13. #28
    Points: 136,362, Level: 89
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 3,088
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    83411
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43,282
    Points
    136,362
    Level
    89
    Thanks Given
    8,619
    Thanked 15,376x in 11,321 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Mt friend has not been seen in a week or so. His color probably got him killed because he satnds out like a becan in the white and brown back drop of a NNY winter. He will be missed.
    After a two week or so hiatus my black friend is back. He was chowing down at the bird feeder yesterday. However I am afraid there are now racial tensions in the area. Early this AM there was a gray squirrel standing up like a sentry Prarie Dog on one of our lovely 7 foot snow banks. I think he may have been trying to keep other races out!
    I discussed the situation with my wife who suggested a ASLM sign. Thoughts?

  14. #29
    Points: 37,347, Level: 47
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    16288
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,852
    Points
    37,347
    Level
    47
    Thanks Given
    4,639
    Thanked 9,520x in 6,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    After a two week or so hiatus my black friend is back. He was chowing down at the bird feeder yesterday. However I am afraid there are now racial tensions in the area. Early this AM there was a gray squirrel standing up like a sentry Prarie Dog on one of our lovely 7 foot snow banks. I think he may have been trying to keep other races out!
    I discussed the situation with my wife who suggested a ASLM sign. Thoughts?
    Call the government, it's the only hope.

    Joe "El Baboso" Biden-"Make America Last Again" MALA

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

    stjames1_53 (02-28-2021)

  16. #30
    Points: 37,347, Level: 47
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    16288
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,852
    Points
    37,347
    Level
    47
    Thanks Given
    4,639
    Thanked 9,520x in 6,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody visits the salt lick, even the squirrels, but they do self segregate.

    MFDC4040_800x450.JPG

    MFDC4043_800x450.JPG

    MFDC4058_800x450.JPG

    Joe "El Baboso" Biden-"Make America Last Again" MALA

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

    carolina73 (02-28-2021),donttread (03-01-2021),stjames1_53 (02-28-2021)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts