User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the Pandemic the End of the Buffet?

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,231x in 743 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Especially the 1.84 million who fell so hard they assumed room temperature and had to be buried or cremated. What suckers.
    After the first 30 days I relegated my concern level to the same as other 'demics' I have lived through.. somewhere near zero concern. Its a virus, it will do what they do. there will be no cure.. its here to stay like other flus and colds.
    Notice that flu and colds are near non existent this year. We should wonder that for a bit.
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thom Paine For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (01-03-2021)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,268x in 12,391 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    After the first 30 days I relegated my concern level to the same as other 'demics' I have lived through.. somewhere near zero concern. Its a virus, it will do what they do. there will be no cure.. its here to stay like other flus and colds.
    Notice that flu and colds are near non existent this year. We should wonder that for a bit.
    As someone who came very, very close to assuming room temperature myself two years ago this week, from pneumonia, and who still has a difficult time getting enough air in my lungs due to the scar tissue in my trachea, and who has to occasionally take a dose of Lorazepam to make myself sleep so I don't lie awake all night worrying about waking up and not being able to breathe, I think I can be forgiven (or at least understood) for taking all practical precautions seriously.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

chaidragonfire (01-03-2021),Collateral Damage (01-05-2021)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,231x in 743 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who came very, very close to assuming room temperature myself two years ago this week, from pneumonia, and who still has a difficult time getting enough air in my lungs due to the scar tissue in my trachea, and who has to occasionally take a dose of Lorazepam to make myself sleep so I don't lie awake all night worrying about waking up and not being able to breathe, I think I can be forgiven (or at least understood) for taking all practical precautions seriously.
    You should be commended, not abased, for being aware or your personal needs and responding accordingly. That's what each of us should do.
    Wishing you health and prosperity Sir.
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thom Paine For This Useful Post:

chaidragonfire (01-03-2021),Peter1469 (01-03-2021),Standing Wolf (01-03-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially the 1.84 million who fell so hard they assumed room temperature and had to be buried or cremated. What suckers.
    There is really nothing to say to someone who takes government statistics at face value without questioning them even slightly.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Calypso Jones (01-03-2021)

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing practical about what we're doing. It is pure lunacy, in fact.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Calypso Jones (01-03-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair -- the PCR test isn't as accurate as we wish it were. It's very likely picking up covid, but it's also likely to be picking up the common cold and influenza and lumping them all in together. The CDC is reporting unheard-of low influenza cases this year -- but they're careful to issue a warning that the low numbers could be attributable to covid. Early on, I thought I'd donate blood and get a free covid antibody test at the same time. The CDC, however, warned that if I had antibodies, it could be from a common cold registering as covid antibodies.

https://www.icd10monitor.com/false-positives-in-pcr-tests-for-covid-19

Capture.PNG

Covid is a thing. It's killing people. It's not a hoax.

It might not be killing as many as you've been led to believe it's killing. That's all I'm saying.

Back in August, the New York Times sounded the alarm.

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus,a review by The Times found.
    That number is significant Wolf.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-03-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing, Wolf, and I don't have a medical report to back this one up--just my sister who's a national Hospice nurse. She used to jet across the nation four or more times per month, but since last February, she's been grounded and has to conduct all her meetings on Zoom.

Hospices are seeing a large number of patient deaths that test positive--posthumously--for covid. The thing is, the average time a Hospice patient is in the program has not been reduced. In other words, these patients who are terminal and are the sickest of the sick, are not dying more quickly than they normally would be after entering the Hospice program. These are the ones with the greatest comorbidities of all.

It's going to be years before all of this is sorted out, and it's not a bad idea to take precautions, but the story that's coming out, might not be the final story.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-03-2021),Thom Paine (01-03-2021)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,650x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    The new world might not have it, either, if we all sit down and be honest. Science is preoccupied enough right now, and taking academics away from researching world- saving vaccines to instead develop a cough guard big enough and robust enough to stop a toddler from infecting a communal bowl of chipsticks seems like a waste of money and time. Buffets are a good thing socially (they help bring people together!) but a bad thing pandemically (they let people repeatedly dip the same crisp into a shared pot of hummus!) and by that respect, the UN should really look into making them an international crime. It’s hard to know what the world will ever look like post-Covid, but right now it doesn’t feel like it involves a lot of sausage roll sharing platters.

http://theguardian.com/food/2020/sep...et-in-covid-19

Attachment 34115

Attachment 34116

Attachment 34117

As long as they don't ban family style pot luck dinners ( Typically buffet format)

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    chaidragonfire's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 753x in 416 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DUDE! OMG!
    I had pneumonia when I was about 4 years old, and I remember it like it was yesterday! Geez I feel for you!!

Recently I thought I was having a severe panic attack, because every time I moved I couldn't take a breath! I was stuck in my recliner for almost 2 days because moving literally shut my lungs down. Friends called 911 for me when they checked on me. Come to find out I had a huge clot in one lung, and one clot in each leg. They have no idea what the clot was from, nor do they know why it formed so fast, as my blood tests came back negative for all the tests they did!

They said it would take up to a year for me to recoup, and so far I'm having to do everything in slow motion and in short spurts so I don't fall over from lack of being able to breathe.

As for buffets, drive thru's, or just all eating places in general.............it's a NO GO for me. Not even going to tempt fate.
    The closest I've gotten to any outside food, is getting some fried chicken from the grocery store deli.....but thats immediately after they removed it from the fryer!
    Other than that, I make my own meals from packaged grocery store ingredients.
    Last edited by chaidragonfire; 01-03-2021 at 11:02 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chaidragonfire For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (01-03-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,556x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaidragonfire View Post
    DUDE! OMG!
    I had pneumonia when I was about 4 years old, and I remember it like it was yesterday! Geez I feel for you!!

Recently I thought I was having a severe panic attack, because every time I moved I couldn't take a breath! I was stuck in my recliner for almost 2 days because moving literally shut my lungs down. Friends called 911 for me when they checked on me. Come to find out I had a huge clot in one lung, and one clot in each leg. They have no idea what the clot was from, nor do they know why it formed so fast, as my blood tests came back negative for all the tests they did!

They said it would take up to a year for me to recoup, and so far I'm having to do everything in slow motion and in short spurts so I don't fall over from lack of being able to breathe.

As for buffets, drive thru's, or just all eating places in general.............it's a NO GO for me. Not even going to tempt fate.
    The closest I've gotten to any outside food, is getting some fried chicken from the grocery store deli.....but thats immediately after they removed it from the fryer!
    Other than that, I make my own meals from packaged grocery store ingredients.
    I had some serious blood clots come on all of a sudden like that. It was a reaction to an infection. Unfortunately it can kill you.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread