User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why an English Museum Has a Collection of Magic Potatoes Touch of the rheumatiz?

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,047x in 24,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Why an English Museum Has a Collection of Magic Potatoes Touch of the rheumatiz?

Why an English Museum Has a Collection of Magic PotatoesTouch of the rheumatiz? Try carrying around a purloined spud.

RHEUMATISM, THE HISTORICAL CATCH-ALL TERM
    for a number of inflammatory joint and muscle conditions, is a painful diagnosis. Before the advent of painkillers and the specialized field of rheumatology, there was little sufferers could do. So many people turned to magic, superstition, and folks remedies to ease their pain. Many of them turned to potatoes.

According to this British and American tradition, sufferers of joint pain could simply slip uncooked spuds into their pockets. This would ease aches, it was said, so long as the potato remained in place. The Victorian-era cure had a critical caveat, though: The potato had to have been stolen.

https://thepoliticalforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=19

A7E0FA8E-D72B-4A49-82B9-43569C047243.jpeg6BA8F084-F6BC-46EF-9F81-9FF9AF41CFAE.jpeg4D2EC5AE-DC83-4283-8D78-0A38975FB6DF.jpegF940200C-EA0A-40A0-806A-97EA3DF80DEC.jpeg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link doesn't appear to be good, but this is fascinating! There had to be some reason they thought potatoes were beneficial. I'm always interested in how myths and folklore came to be.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-16-2021)

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,654x in 2,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always keep my Magic Potatoes in my Magic Underwear...just in case...

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Manny Decker's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 289x in 195 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got some magic shoes, I don’t like talking about them because I’m afraid someone will steal them.

It all started 2 years before the virus started, I’d bought the shoes from Debenhams for £85 in a sale, they were £130 originally.

On the weekend I got myself ready to go out on the lash (beer) put my new shoes on anc jumped into the taxi I had ordered, it dropped me off in the village and I settled down to drinking a few room temperature ales.
    Round about 9:30 a gaggle of women came into the bar, they were laughing and joking and having a laugh, one came over to where I was sitting and picked up my pint and started to drink it. Calmly j watched her, ale dropped off her chin onto her chest, if rolled down into her low cut top and dribbled over her half exposed breasts.
    She saw my gaze and said “you like tits then?” I nodded.

She wandered off back her her friends and whispered in her friends ears. The landlord caught my eye and I pointed to my empty pint mug, he nodded and poured me a fresh one and brought it over to my table.
    The women turned their attention the music player and they all started jogging about to the sounds.
    Later the same woman who had drank half my pint came over and whispered in my ear. She grabbed my arm and pulled me across the bar and out of the door, she marched me over to a Ford transit van, she opened a side door and pulled me in.
    She unbuttoned her shirt and flopped her knockers out, lifted her skirt to announce she was commando.
    When we finished she buttoned up and told me to wait where I was, no sooner had she opened thd van door to get out another woman got herself in and took her knickers off ready for play time, this happened every time I’d finished, I made love to all the women in thd group who had come into the village pub.
    Nobody can tell me any different to what I was thinking... it was my magic shoes.
    RIP Wes

+ Reply to Thread