User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Survivors (aka Space Prison)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Survivors (aka Space Prison)

I found this book in a thrift shop for a dime when I was nine years old and read it to pieces. It's a story of survival, ingenuity and revenge that takes place over several generations. I've since collected a number of other copies, including the Gnome Press hardcover first edition and a half dozen foreign translations.

You can read the entire book here.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2254...-h/22549-h.htm

Tom Godwin is best known to science fiction fans as the author of the groundbreaking and controversial short story 'The Cold Equations'.

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/h...0Equations.pdf

His first published short story, 'The Gulf Between', inspired artist Frank Kelly Freas to paint the well-known image of a dying spaceman held by a giant robot, which graced the cover of the March 1954 issue of 'Astounding Science Fiction'.

The image was reworked many years later, at the request of science fiction fan and band member Roger Taylor for Queen's 'News of the World' album.

Godwin lived a short and unhappy life, but he left some good writing behind. 'Space Prison' is an underrated classic of the genre.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (01-23-2021),RMNIXON (01-23-2021)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,462
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,545x in 17,985 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that album!

And consider yourself lucky for the find.

I have also been looking for the rare book that was used for a very old Detective show called "Colonel March of Scotland Yard" that I found on Hoopla streaming. "The Department of $#@! Complaints" by Carter Dickson long out of print now sells for more money than I am willing to spend.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (01-23-2021)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I had that album!

And consider yourself lucky for the find.

I have also been looking for the rare book that was used for a very old Detective show called "Colonel March of Scotland Yard" that I found on Hoopla streaming. "The Department of $#@! Complaints" by Carter Dickson long out of print now sells for more money than I am willing to spend.

Yeah, I see what you mean about what people are asking for a copy of that particular book. I would have to really be a fan. I checked on Abebooks, because sometimes their dealers' prices are better than eBay, but the least expensive copy there is $75 + shipping.

You can buy any number of crappy, print-to-order editions of 'Space Prison' because it's in the public domain, but dealers usually want a hundred or more for a nice clean copy of the first edition. I lucked out and found a very nice copy in a Honolulu bookshop in 1984 for only $15.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (01-23-2021)

+ Reply to Thread