Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,594x in 1,880 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Like where the Cincinnati Aquarium is actually in Newport KY?

Really nice aquarium by the way. I could spend hours in the jelly fish exhibit.
    The Greater Cincinnati International Airport is also in Kentucky ... as is the Ohio River.

Kentucky als contains a London, Paris, Pittsburg and Dayton.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,122
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Booman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,690x in 17,888 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    The Greater Cincinnati International Airport is also in Kentucky ... as is the Ohio River.

Don't they have anything of their own?

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    LWW's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,594x in 1,880 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Booman View Post
    Don't they have anything of their own?
    Toledo.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LWW For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-08-2021)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,057
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post

Seymour/North Vernon Indiana area....................I got the high ground on the south end of a big valley (old glacier river).............
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,225x in 2,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I've watched the first two seasons of 'Justified' lately...
    That is probably--no, assuredly--the best mini-series that I have ever seen.

Walton Goggins (who played Boyd Crowder) simply was the sauce that made that mini-series, I believe.

(Oh, Wikipedia says that he was scheduled to die in the pilot episode of it; but audiences liked him so well that he was "promoted to main cast from season 2 onward.")

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    That is probably--no, assuredly--the best mini-series that I have ever seen.

Walton Goggins (who played Boyd Crowder) simply was the sauce that made that mini-series, I believe.

(Oh, Wikipedia says that he was scheduled to die in the pilot episode of it; but audiences liked him so well that he was "promoted to main cast from season 2 onward.")
    I think you mean just "series", not mini-series. It was on for six seasons, you know, thirteen episodes each season. I'm a couple of episodes into season six right now. I didn't know about Boyd Crowder (Goggins) not making it out of the pilot, but I did know that he died in the short story, 'Fire in the Hole', from whence Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens came. Author Elmore Leonard went on to write I think three novels about Givens, including his last published work, 'Raylan', which I just got in the mail yesterday. The plotlines and even some of the characters themselves differ markedly from t.v. show to books, but both are great and (like Craig Johnson's 'Longmire') each can be enjoyed for what they are without worrying about the fact that one doesn't jibe with the other.

Things like that - a major character almost dying at the outset - do happen, of course. If you ever watched 'Hill Street Blues', Renko and Bobby Hill, two of the more popular characters on the show, were gunned down in the pilot, and the original script called for them to die. As broadcast, their condition was upgraded from deceased to in critical condition.

Yeah, the difference between a show like this and the run-of-the-mill network cop show is like night and day. The wife and I were talking about this the other night. (She doesn't watch 'Justified', but we watch 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' together - also fantastic shows.) We enjoy 'N.C.I.S' and 'Blue Bloods', but they're so formulaic and predictable; the plot is rushed in order to fit into 42 minutes of airtime. With a show like 'Justified' or 'Breaking Bad' - or my all-time favorite series, 'Sons of Anarchy', or my second-favorite, 'Banshee' - the writers and show runners don't feel pressured to wrap everything up in a neat bow every week, and the pacing is tremendously slowed down. On a network show you'd never have a character just staring off into the hills for thirty seconds, even though it's perfectly natural for them to be doing that and it adds tremendously to the emotional impact and realism of the scene. It's great when the producers and writers are allowed to do that sort of thing, and it can turn a good show into a classic. Starting with the fifth season of 'Sons of Anarchy', FX gave Kurt Sutter an extra thirty minutes per episode, which was almost unheard of.

Walton Goggins is amazing. I've never watched 'The Shield', but I've read that he was one of the stars of that show, so now I have to start watching it soon. I enjoyed him in 'Vice Principals' and 'The Righteous Gemstones', and - talk about versatility - as a transexual woman in 'Sons of Anarchy'. It's difficult to imagine 'Justified' without Boyd Crowder lurking around. The show would certainly be less colorful. (How they roped him into doing that godawful sitcom 'The Unicorn' I'll never know. They must have backed a truck up to his front door and dumped out a huge mountain of cash. I stopped watching after three episodes.)
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Manny Decker's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 289x in 195 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome.

I am just wondering what accent LWW has?
    RIP Wes

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,070x in 3,436 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I think you mean just "series", not mini-series. It was on for six seasons, you know, thirteen episodes each season. I'm a couple of episodes into season six right now. I didn't know about Boyd Crowder (Goggins) not making it out of the pilot, but I did know that he died in the short story, 'Fire in the Hole', from whence Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens came. Author Elmore Leonard went on to write I think three novels about Givens, including his last published work, 'Raylan', which I just got in the mail yesterday. The plotlines and even some of the characters themselves differ markedly from t.v. show to books, but both are great and (like Craig Johnson's 'Longmire') each can be enjoyed for what they are without worrying about the fact that one doesn't jibe with the other.

Things like that - a major character almost dying at the outset - do happen, of course. If you ever watched 'Hill Street Blues', Renko and Bobby Hill, two of the more popular characters on the show, were gunned down in the pilot, and the original script called for them to die. As broadcast, their condition was upgraded from deceased to in critical condition.

Yeah, the difference between a show like this and the run-of-the-mill network cop show is like night and day. The wife and I were talking about this the other night. (She doesn't watch 'Justified', but we watch 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' together - also fantastic shows.) We enjoy 'N.C.I.S' and 'Blue Bloods', but they're so formulaic and predictable; the plot is rushed in order to fit into 42 minutes of airtime. With a show like 'Justified' or 'Breaking Bad' - or my all-time favorite series, 'Sons of Anarchy', or my second-favorite, 'Banshee' - the writers and show runners don't feel pressured to wrap everything up in a neat bow every week, and the pacing is tremendously slowed down. On a network show you'd never have a character just staring off into the hills for thirty seconds, even though it's perfectly natural for them to be doing that and it adds tremendously to the emotional impact and realism of the scene. It's great when the producers and writers are allowed to do that sort of thing, and it can turn a good show into a classic. Starting with the fifth season of 'Sons of Anarchy', FX gave Kurt Sutter an extra thirty minutes per episode, which was almost unheard of.

Walton Goggins is amazing. I've never watched 'The Shield', but I've read that he was one of the stars of that show, so now I have to start watching it soon. I enjoyed him in 'Vice Principals' and 'The Righteous Gemstones', and - talk about versatility - as a transexual woman in 'Sons of Anarchy'. It's difficult to imagine 'Justified' without Boyd Crowder lurking around. The show would certainly be less colorful. (How they roped him into doing that godawful sitcom 'The Unicorn' I'll never know. They must have backed a truck up to his front door and dumped out a huge mountain of cash. I stopped watching after three episodes.)
    Justified, Banshee and Longmire are three of my all time favorite series. Deadwood was pretty awesome too.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lily View Post
    Justified, Banshee and Longmire are three of my all time favorite series. Deadwood was pretty awesome too.
    Yeah, I just caught up with 'Deadwood' last year. The way the characters all spoke in such long-winded and convoluted sentences - what I call "Sh*tkicker Shakespeare" - was off-putting, and I sometimes had to resort to using the Closed Caption function just to follow what they were saying, but it was a good show. I guess it was the show that caused Timothy Olyphant's career to really take off, and got him the lead in 'Justified'.

I just now got through with Season 2 (of 6) of 'The Shield'. Kurt Sutter, the creator of 'Sons of Anarchy', was one of the principal writers on that show, and he managed to use pretty much all the major actors, to one degree or another, in 'Sons' and/or 'Mayans'. I don't think Sutter was connected with 'Deadwood', but several of the actors from that show ended up on 'Sons of Anarchy' as well - most notably Dayton Callie ("Charlie Utter") who became Police Chief Wayne Unser on 'Sons", Robin Weigert, who went from being the explosive and perpetually drunk Calamity Jane to soft-spoken attorney Ally Lowen, and Ray McKinnon, who was the epileptic Reverend in 'Deadwood' and became Deputy U.S. Attorney Lincoln Potter on 'Sons' and 'Mayans'. Versatile actors all.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,070x in 3,436 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really got into Sons of Anarchy for some reason.

+ Reply to Thread