User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What's the difference between the hundreds of riots this summer and the Capitol Storm

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    This is a big part of the race issue in America. Blacks rank last in kids growing up in two parent households, that and there congregation in huge welfare projects are IMO the answer. Yet no one seems to be talking about it? 2/3 black children grow up in single parent households.
    Now obvioualy their are some kick ass single parent households and some lousy two parent places to grow up. There are great step parents and there are "man or woman of the month" situations. I personally believed a single parent household with the other parent heavily invloved and good step parents are key.
    But staistically speaking it makes a difference and you can pretty well follow the socieo-economics fortunes of a group by correlating that the these numbers. I don't think there is a stat out for parents with 4 or more children by 4 or more people and still dad not involved but if there were the results would likely not be good.
    https://datacenter.kidscount.org/dat...185,13/432,431
    To be fair, Obama did take black men to task for fathering babies outside wedlock.

As you point out, this is probably the biggest issue for black poverty right now. A single parent simply cannot compete with the finances and structure of a two-parent family. I don't care if the parents are of the same sex or different sexes, children need two parents.

You're also right about some single-parent households running well, but those are usually ones where the parent is highly educated and draws a substantial wage.

All the attempts to sort out the mess have only made it worse, such as welfare running off a father.

The thing is -- this is not cultural and it doesn't come from an inborn tendency. It's a learned behavior. And, because it's learned, it can be unlearned just as easily.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (02-17-2021),donttread (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    To be fair, Obama did take black men to task for fathering babies outside wedlock.

As you point out, this is probably the biggest issue for black poverty right now. A single parent simply cannot compete with the finances and structure of a two-parent family. I don't care if the parents are of the same sex or different sexes, children need two parents.

You're also right about some single-parent households running well, but those are usually ones where the parent is highly educated and draws a substantial wage.

All the attempts to sort out the mess have only made it worse, such as welfare running off a father.

The thing is -- this is not cultural and it doesn't come from an inborn tendency. It's a learned behavior. And, because it's learned, it can be unlearned just as easily.

Post of the day.

It's not that racism hasn't help cause this but it was democrat LBJ racism decades ago the repubs didn't do it. and it's time to study and not assume and then fix. There are professional atheletes ( role models whether they like it or not) who just go around impregnanting women and don't live with most if any of their kids. One, can't remember the name but he's NFL, has 11 kids with ten baby mammas! I'm not sure how the child support works on that but there used to be built in protection for the rich so I would not be surprised if some of those kids are not being raisied on partial welfare! But I do not know that.
    Hey young folks make mistakes and forget the condom , I was once young and I get that. I was married but had one without a good job wound up making it work but it was tough and now I have a fantastic adult daughter who is a great daughter and mom. I wouldn't change who she is but I might change her DOB a couple of years. Anyway it did NOT happen a second time. My son was planned and both his mother and I had real jobs.
    So where does this mindset of just getting pregnant or impregnating women without any intention of being together come from? How did "your own welfare case" become the "Dream" of so many young woman and how did having child after child with no real responsibility towards them become the way of so many young men?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,898x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post

As Thomas Sowell would argue it's behavior promoited by the government, especially those on the left, in attempts to solve povery by mere redistribution of wealth, i.e., welfare.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

donttread (02-18-2021),FindersKeepers (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    As Thomas Sowell would argue it's behavior promoited by the government, especially those on the left, in attempts to solve povery by mere redistribution of wealth, i.e., welfare.

The war on poverty, much like the war on drugs have failed for 60 yeras and yet no major redirect in policy . It's almost as if the term "war" is Orwellian double speak and code for "Promotion"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Chris (02-18-2021)

+ Reply to Thread