Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybil Ludington View Post
    60 gallons of oil to run?!?!?! So how the hell are these supposed to cut down on fossil fuels? I thought these things were supposed to create energy out of wind with nothing else... WTF? Does dumbass AOC know this? If so....why is she still promoting them?
    I think that the 60 gallons of oil corresponds to the oil in the gear box for a large wind turbine. Wind energy has a very small carbon footprint.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/03/wi...bon-footprint/

In observing that “every type of energy has consequences,” Department of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke claimed the “carbon footprint on wind [energy] is significant.” In fact, wind power’s carbon footprint is among the smallest of any energy source.
    Coal’s carbon footprint is almost 90 times larger than that of wind energy, and the footprint of natural gas is more than 40 times larger, according to the Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

To be more exact, wind energy produces around 11 grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt-hour of electricity generated, Garvin A. Heath, a senior scientist at NREL, and colleagues concluded after reviewing the scientific literature. That’s compared with about 980 g CO2/kWh for coal and roughly 465 g CO2/kWh for natural gas, Heath found

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sybil Ludington's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,497x in 3,308 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalmike View Post
    I think that the 60 gallons of oil corresponds to the oil in the gear box for a large wind turbine. Wind energy has a very small carbon footprint.

In observing that “every type of energy has consequences,” Department of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke claimed the “carbon footprint on wind [energy] is significant.” In fact, wind power’s carbon footprint is among the smallest of any energy source.
    Coal’s carbon footprint is almost 90 times larger than that of wind energy, and the footprint of natural gas is more than 40 times larger, according to the Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

To be more exact, wind energy produces around 11 grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt-hour of electricity generated, Garvin A. Heath, a senior scientist at NREL, and colleagues concluded after reviewing the scientific literature. That’s compared with about 980 g CO2/kWh for coal and roughly 465 g CO2/kWh for natural gas, Heath found

Doesn't really matter. Until they come up with something that's RELIABLE you can sit on your damn wind turbine. Doesn't do any good having them if they don't supply the needs....

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sybil Ludington For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (02-16-2021),FindersKeepers (02-17-2021),stjames1_53 (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    skepticalmike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole thing with the wind turbines SHOULD be the perfect example of what NOT to rely on. But dems are stupid and will continue to push something that's not reliable, and more expensive.
    What is your energy plan? Do you think that there is any need to reduce carbon emissions? When considering the cost of electricity you should include the environmental impacts and health impacts in the cost.

Why are you always insulting other people and calling them stupid? Don't you know that you are breaking the rules. You must have a very high opinion of yourself.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sybil Ludington's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,497x in 3,308 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your energy plan? Do you think that there is any need to reduce carbon emissions? When considering the cost of electricity you should include the environmental impacts and health impacts in the cost.

Why are you always insulting other people and calling them stupid? Don't you know that you are breaking the rules. You must have a very high opinion of yourself.
    Blow it out your butt snowflake. I didn't call YOU stupid. OH! But you're a dem and of course everything is about FEELINGS with you. Until they get these methods PERFECTED, they need to leave the old ones alone. They also need to be cost effective....that SHOULD be self explanatory. REALLY? You expect us to believe you're so concerned about the environment?? But, apparently you're not concerned that wind turbines kill 300,000 birds every year.

And YEAH, I have a high opinion of myself, no different than you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sybil Ludington For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blow it out your butt snowflake. I didn't call YOU stupid. OH! But you're a dem and of course everything is about FEELINGS with you. Until they get these methods PERFECTED, they need to leave the old ones alone. They also need to be cost effective....that SHOULD be self explanatory. REALLY? You expect us to believe you're so concerned about the environment?? But, apparently you're not concerned that wind turbines kill 300,000 birds every year.

Be Skeptical of Skeptical Mike. He is just a brainwashed leftist.

His ideas are far more expensive and far less dependable that natural gas, nuclear and the other options that we already use. His ideas would not sell at all without tax credits meaning making other people pay for their energy.

I didn't even bother to have my solar panels put back up when I put on the new roof. They were already losing efficiency at 1/3 of the promised life time. It is not just the panels, it is the entire system.

The answer always lies in, would I buy that if there were no credits from the government. If the answer is no, then the source is not commercially viable.

Don't get me wrong. I use mostly electric in my life so I'm not pushing fossil fuels. They are going to have to burn fossil fuels to make electricity. There is no choice unless they bring back nuclear.

They technology needs to lead the transfer. These idiots want people to suffer for decades while they try to straighten out what they broke by doubling down and tell you to get used to staying home and freezing/sweating.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-17-2021),Sybil Ludington (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,165x in 6,408 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also a very low energy footprint in cold weather.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the solar and wind power are not the big problem in Texas...
    What's behind the dangerous power outages in Texas

Energy analysts also noted that ERCOT doesn’t plan to rely much on wind power during the winter. Jesse Jenkins, a Princeton professor who is a macro-scale energy systems engineer, said ERCOT generally relies on wind for less than 10% of its total winter capacity, with the bulk being natural gas and coal.
    “No matter how wind performs this week — important for future planning! — it is the big failure of the thermal plants, mostly gas units, that is causing such widespread outages now,” he said in a tweet Monday.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...nd-natural-gas
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you are wrong about me. I am more concerned with rationality and truth than I am with feelings. I have only posted on 1 other thread recently and you insulted me several times and said I was a doofus -another word for a stupid person.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...bout-windmills

Windmills kill anywhere from 234,000 to 328,000 birds a year, according to a study by federal scientists. That’s no small number, but it does pale in comparison to the number of birds killed elsewhere.A USA Today review of the study noted that collisions with cell and radio towers cause an estimated 6.8 million deaths, while cats kill a staggering 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion birds a year.
    Last edited by skepticalmike; 02-17-2021 at 04:30 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Be Skeptical of Skeptical Mike. He is just a brainwashed leftist.

His ideas are far more expensive and far less dependable that natural gas, nuclear and the other options that we already use. His ideas would not sell at all without tax credits meaning making other people pay for their energy.

I didn't even bother to have my solar panels put back up when I put on the new roof. They were already losing efficiency at 1/3 of the promised life time. It is not just the panels, it is the entire system.

The answer always lies in, would I buy that if there were no credits from the government. If the answer is no, then the source is not commercially viable.

Don't get me wrong. I use mostly electric in my life so I'm not pushing fossil fuels. They are going to have to burn fossil fuels to make electricity. There is no choice unless they bring back nuclear.

They technology needs to lead the transfer. These idiots want people to suffer for decades while they try to straighten out what they broke by doubling down and tell you to get used to staying home and freezing/sweating.
    I have never insulted you or anyone else on this forum, so why do you insult me? I am not a leftist. I don't have a rigid political philosophy.

I call myself a skeptic because I am a person who relies on the scientific method as a way of separating fact from fiction. I used to read both Skeptic magazine and the Skeptical Inquirer and I have

degrees in Physics and Electrical engineering plus I have a background in healthcare and biology.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to skepticalmike For This Useful Post:

MMC (02-17-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N
    Windmills kill anywhere from 234,000 to 328,000 birds a year, according to a study by federal scientists. That’s no small number, but it does pale in comparison to the number of birds killed elsewhere.A USA Today review of the study noted that collisions with cell and radio towers cause an estimated 6.8 million deaths, while cats kill a staggering 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion birds a year.
    The cell-tower study isn't peer-reviewed or accepted by most researchers.

As far as cats -- when was the last time you saw (or even heard about) a cat killing a raptor? Raptors, including eagles, are regular victims of wind turbines.

But, let's just forget about our feathered friends for a second--wind turbines produce intermittent power--they're not reliable as we've just seen in the center of the nation and in Texas in the past few days.

Let's relegate wind farms to the annals of history and move forward with another clean energy--clean nuclear--that doesn't produce carbon gases and has much, much more power.

Anyone who says "renewable" energy is the answer, doesn't have a clue about energy.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (02-17-2021),stjames1_53 (02-17-2021),Sybil Ludington (02-17-2021)

+ Reply to Thread