User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I'll always drop everything to answer my brother's calls from prison...

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,457x in 13,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Why I'll always drop everything to answer my brother's calls from prison...

Attachment 35078

Upon release, people with criminal records are greeted by over 45,000 policies that dictate where they may go, with whom they may live, and how they may spend their time. These “collateral consequences” prevent them from fully participating in the labor and housing markets. Today, there are 19,219 employment restrictions that keep people with criminal records out of the workplace. 1,033 housing restrictions keep them from being able to rent an apartment. 3,954 restrictions limit their civic participation and 1,612 constrain their family and domestic rights. This means they may not hold most public offices. They may not sit on juries. There are hundreds of categories of employment for which they need not apply. They may not rent an apartment and will struggle to find a place to stay. In some states, they may not vote. But if all politics are local, the policies of mass incarceration are hyper local. Just pick a state. New York has 1,052 laws and policies that lock people with criminal records out of the economy. Michigan has 659. Illinois has 1,289, including 512 that target employment, 177 political and civic regulations, 30 housing restrictions, and 50 policies that regulate family life.

This is a good story that gives one pause: https://time.com/5938898/reuben-mill...tm_source=digg
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I remember the 17 year old black kid that got a BJ on from a 15 year old girl in GA. The threw him in jail and he had to register as a sex offender.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_v._State
    Question is, would you believe a guy that told you that is why he was listed as a sex offender?
    Some information is deductible from age of conviction, and there are certain factors that would be considered.

Time lapse between event and date of application, and if that was the only event in the intervening years.

It helps have interpretation of the conviction data supplied in some background checks, which we have available.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    I've tried to explain to a few people, that once the State has your "papers" they own you, outright.
    Until the day you die...........
    Prisons for profit............lol
    and they'll lie if they need to to keep you there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-23-2021)

+ Reply to Thread