Members banned from this thread: Mister D and Captdon

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 'Progressive' church claims: Parts of Bible wrong because it isn't the 'Word of God'

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Social3 months registeredTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Sybil Ludington's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,536x in 2,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    it kind of is.

Both christianity and islam worship the god of abraham. Same god.
    not!

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,312x in 1,574 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    The objective truth is that the various ancient texts that, over time, grew to be the Bible were all written down by human beings; the message that they contain, about God's purpose and Man's sin and redemption, etc., can be accepted as true by faith - but nothing objectively exists to prove that it is.

I will just add that pointing this out does not constitute ridicule or insult. Wonderful things have been done in the world by individuals and groups identifying as Christians, and individual Christian faith, as long as it does not entail enforcing doctrinal rules and restrictions on society or incorporating them into the civil law, is something to be respected. It's just that any claim that the Bible being "God's holy word" is objectively true cannot go unchallenged.
    I mentioned earlier that the text that we now know as "the Bible" is formulated from several ancient manuscripts: among uncial manuscripts, Codices Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, from the mid-fourth century; Codices Alexandrinus and Ephraemi from the fifth century; and papyrus fragments that are even older.

Some of us have a very different definition of "faith" than others do: Although some define it as belief in nothing substantial, I find that rather disheartening--and quite irrational.

Rather, I define it as a belief based upon either the rational or the empirical; which are the only two forms of evidence that we have available to us. (And yes, I do require evidence. Very much so, in fact.)

+ Reply to Thread