Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,512x in 16,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Odd timing.

A littler over a week ago, I took my Black Lab/Pitbull mix in for his annual periodontal work. About a week before, he had been in and had his blood work done because he was 11 and he need to be checked before they could put him under to do his teeth. Everything was fine at the checkup.

So, when he went to get his teeth cleaned and was knocked out and completely relaxed, the vet found a growth in his abdomen. He did an ultrasound and X-Ray and found an 8-10 pound tumor on his Spleen. You couldn't detect it when he was standing up, but when he was unconscious, the vet saw the protrusion. Because he had just had his teeth cleaned and that releases a lot of bacteria into the body, we had to wait a week to get him in for surgery. He went in this morning at 0830.

I got a call about an hour and a half ago saying the surgery was complete, the removed his spleen and about a 9 pound tumor. He was still asleep, but the prognosis looked good. He probzbly had a couple more good, pain free years ahead of him. While I was talking to the Vet, you could hear his tech call him and say he needed him right away because Festus was suddenly having trouble breathing. He said he had to go and would call me back. He called me back about 20 minutes later and told me he had gone into shock, stopped breathing and they could not resuscitate him. He died a little over an hour ago.

Festus was special to me because somebody had thrown him out of a moving car when he was about 6 months old. Some friends of mine saw it happen and were able to get him out of traffic. They didn't want to send him to a shelter and they couldn't keep him, they were both in their mid sixties at the time and a young high energy Black Lab pup was not going to work well for them. They called me because they knew my English Shepherd had died of natural causes a few months earlier and invited me up to meet him. I took him home that day and had 11 years with him before he died today.

He was a good friend.

The Vet said based on the condition of the Spleen and size of the tumor, without the surgery, he would probably have been dead in less than a month. The surgery at least gave him a chance. Between the removal of the Spleen and the removal of the tumor itself, it was just too much for him. He made it through the surgery itself, then went into shock.

I had to call my wife, who is currently in Georgia and break the news to her.

Today sucks.
    I'm very sorry
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),Madison (02-22-2021),Red Lily (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,513
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,003x in 18,683 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd timing.

A littler over a week ago, I took my Black Lab/Pitbull mix in for his annual periodontal work. About a week before, he had been in and had his blood work done because he was 11 and he need to be checked before they could put him under to do his teeth. Everything was fine at the checkup.

So, when he went to get his teeth cleaned and was knocked out and completely relaxed, the vet found a growth in his abdomen. He did an ultrasound and X-Ray and found an 8-10 pound tumor on his Spleen. You couldn't detect it when he was standing up, but when he was unconscious, the vet saw the protrusion. Because he had just had his teeth cleaned and that releases a lot of bacteria into the body, we had to wait a week to get him in for surgery. He went in this morning at 0830.

I got a call about an hour and a half ago saying the surgery was complete, the removed his spleen and about a 9 pound tumor. He was still asleep, but the prognosis looked good. He probzbly had a couple more good, pain free years ahead of him. While I was talking to the Vet, you could hear his tech call him and say he needed him right away because Festus was suddenly having trouble breathing. He said he had to go and would call me back. He called me back about 20 minutes later and told me he had gone into shock, stopped breathing and they could not resuscitate him. He died a little over an hour ago.

Festus was special to me because somebody had thrown him out of a moving car when he was about 6 months old. Some friends of mine saw it happen and were able to get him out of traffic. They didn't want to send him to a shelter and they couldn't keep him, they were both in their mid sixties at the time and a young high energy Black Lab pup was not going to work well for them. They called me because they knew my English Shepherd had died of natural causes a few months earlier and invited me up to meet him. I took him home that day and had 11 years with him before he died today.

He was a good friend.

The Vet said based on the condition of the Spleen and size of the tumor, without the surgery, he would probably have been dead in less than a month. The surgery at least gave him a chance. Between the removal of the Spleen and the removal of the tumor itself, it was just too much for him. He made it through the surgery itself, then went into shock.

Today sucks.

I'm so sorry, Cletus.

Not much else I can say.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (02-22-2021),Madison (02-22-2021),Red Lily (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,077x in 3,440 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd timing.

He was a good friend.

Today sucks.
    So sorry for your loss, Cletus. I know how heart breaking it is to lose one's dear friend and no words can really help.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),HawkTheSlayer (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,077x in 3,440 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I was sitting here, thinking about Baxter, he and my dog are friends.......I was getting a sick feeling in my stomach, thinking about him suffering so......I told my husband, "I'm going to offer to help".

If they take me up on it, great but, it's up to them. I don't know them, the most we've done is wave and say, hi.......I don't know how the dad will take it.
    Thank you for being so kind, Abby.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),Daily Bread (02-22-2021),HawkTheSlayer (02-22-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abby, you did good.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),Madison (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cletus: I had to put my Jake down because he had cancer. He was my best friend. I still think of him. I'm sorry for what you are feeling.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),carolina73 (02-22-2021),Cotton1 (02-22-2021),Madison (02-22-2021),Red Lily (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd timing.

He was a good friend.

Today sucks.
    I'm so sorry for your loss Cletus.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),Madison (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,513
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,003x in 18,683 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard anything from them. The grandmother was there earlier, maybe she's helping out.

I haven't seen Baxter, either, they were bringing him out periodically, I can see their house from my dining room.....I've been watching. I feel like a nosy neighbor!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (02-22-2021),Madison (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Madison's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,012x in 3,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry for your loss Cletus

Kurt Cobain was murdered

Trump 2020-2025

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Madison For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Madison's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,012x in 3,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I haven't heard anything from them. The grandmother was there earlier, maybe she's helping out.

I haven't seen Baxter, either, they were bringing him out periodically, I can see their house from my dining room.....I've been watching. I feel like a nosy neighbor!
    I understand the way you feel
    Kurt Cobain was murdered

Trump 2020-2025

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madison For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (02-22-2021),Cotton1 (02-22-2021)

+ Reply to Thread