User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: So Let's Hear it Conservatives

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,902x in 54,719 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Booman View Post
    Jet has a pattern. He starts by making specific claims. Then when challenged he tries to evade and then when that fails he engages however his responses become increasingly generalized and vague. The more subjective the better for him. The lines must be blurred for him to survive a debate. However he will always at some point run away, never to return to that thread.
    A pattern implies intelligence.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (03-01-2021)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A pattern implies intelligence.
    Much like a dog that always chases its tail?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Chris (03-01-2021),Sybil Ludington (03-01-2021)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sybil Ludington's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,497x in 3,308 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    And he thinks he's being clever
    I believe you're giving him too much credit when you say "thinks"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sybil Ludington For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (03-01-2021)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    It's not the concept of income tax which I take issue with. Pre 1913 any money the feds didn't require for their enumerated duties went back to the states based upon population ( today you could return such funds based upon who paid what in) but that was not then practicle. The point was the feds took care of their business which was pretty much dealing collectively with other nations and regulating commerse that actually crossed state lines , the money went back to the state without strings or controls. The effect of course was to incentivise the government to only take taxes they required to run the enumerated powers.
    The states should legally be in charge of human services, drug policy within their own borders, arts endowments, Kennedy center contributions, housing , welfare , grants to other municipalities and busineses/non profits. Essentially the states knew they required a collective front to work with or if required war with other nations and the federal government became a necessary evil. It remained powerful enough to enforce the Constitution if states broke it for example the civil war. But it was not designed to regulate our daily lives for purposes of both liberty and fiscal effieicency.

As for the cuts ideally we would transition the states rightful powers back to them but in the meantime 10% across the board annual cuts excepting SS/Medicare as that is our money and federal wages cuts would be lower and attrition based. These cuts would include congressional spending, the war machine, welfare including the corporate kind. Cuts could be reduced in the areas that involve the enumerated powers by taking deeper cuts in the areas which do not. I assure you there is not a federal program that could not survive several years of these cuts. In fact the first 2-3 years would just be cutting off the fat.
    Well said. Yes I agree that states should have more powers with respect to social services, but the problem is such services have become so high in demand, because of the amount of people who need it, but also so expensive, considering market pressures, not to mention the federal necessity due to intrastate political pressures that it all out of control. We just didn't have this problem until actually the end of the Vietnam war when the US became the new refugee camp for anybody and everybody. I have to say however that I maintain that federal intervention is simply the result of public demand. Our bread has two sides and both need butter in order for us to become what we were set out to be.

What are termed as "entitlements", SS and medicare, are really not, because we pay into them, should be, in my view, one of those great things about the American dream. You've worked all your life, you've contributed, now you deserve a secure retirement. Costs?? much of that cost is under market control as we have had an out of control market system for the last 50 years. Now that baby boomers (the last US population boom) are goin out, THAT population is taken it on the chin just for being born at the wrong time? This country has more money than we know what to do with. The problem is the way it's allocated and corruption has such great cover with divisive politics that nobody can really follow the ball. We sold our country's ability to put people to work with good jobs, [i]and high contributions to SS and medicare for dividends and profit margins. It's no wonder that were squeezed. In order to get back to the constitution, we have to have better control of our money.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,966x in 55,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    State demands create the need for federal money, no matter where it comes from...
    That is ridiculous.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Sybil Ludington (03-01-2021)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,966x in 55,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay; you have no idea what you're talking about. You and D are two peas in a pod: you use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

You've earned a place on the mantle! along the bottom where i keep Sybil, Forrest and a couple of others: I will continue to debunk your BS and then just ignore you as you don't have the capacity for intelligent discussion.

Congratulations; you've earned it!
    When you "debunk" anything, let us all know.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (03-01-2021),Sybil Ludington (03-01-2021)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,516x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gi'me the list of chris topics.

So no answer which is what I thought

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,516x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said. Yes I agree that states should have more powers with respect to social services, but the problem is such services have become so high in demand, because of the amount of people who need it, but also so expensive, considering market pressures, not to mention the federal necessity due to intrastate political pressures that it all out of control. We just didn't have this problem until actually the end of the Vietnam war when the US became the new refugee camp for anybody and everybody. I have to say however that I maintain that federal intervention is simply the result of public demand. Our bread has two sides and both need butter in order for us to become what we were set out to be.

What are termed as "entitlements", SS and medicare, are really not, because we pay into them, should be, in my view, one of those great things about the American dream. You've worked all your life, you've contributed, now you deserve a secure retirement. Costs?? much of that cost is under market control as we have had an out of control market system for the last 50 years. Now that baby boomers (the last US population boom) are goin out, THAT population is taken it on the chin just for being born at the wrong time? This country has more money than we know what to do with. The problem is the way it's allocated and corruption has such great cover with divisive politics that nobody can really follow the ball. We sold our country's ability to put people to work with good jobs, [i]and high contributions to SS and medicare for dividends and profit margins. It's no wonder that were squeezed. In order to get back to the constitution, we have to have better control of our money.

But the money comes from and is dispersed to the same people regardless of which governments layers are involved. IMO an extra layer just takes services away.

SS and Medicare I have earned, PA is adifefrent matter. But corruption is at the heart of all our problems

+ Reply to Thread