User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: A possible argument against the Cancel Culture.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I believe that his point fails on both rational and practical grounds. Try to imagine a typical workforce of individuals - it doesn't matter the setting or the size - and you're the boss. One day you decide to come in and fire everyone who is a Democrat. (CC began by limiting the scope of his proposed firings to "Liberals who support Cancel Culture", but that didn't last long.) First you have to determine who leans what way politically, and not everyone makes a practice of advertising that. Then, after you think you know who doesn't, in theory, "support Cancel Culture", you actually get down to firing people on that basis. Value as an employee, length of loyal service, family situation, personal friendship - all completely out the window as a consideration.
    Of course, in each situation, the boss should judge according to circumstances. If it is a large business in San Francisco, then firing any Democrats may be impossible. If it is a small business in a county where >80% voted for President Trump, and a worker indicated support for Cancel Culture on Twitter, then it is another story.

The most important point is philosophical rather then practical. Conservatives, Independents, and Classical Liberals must always remember that many Dems would happily take away their career. These Dems are not fellow citizens -- they are The Enemy. Not all Democrats, but enough Democrats.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (03-02-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt you're right - but being possessed of that disability should not exempt him from being told straight out when his facts, his history or his logic is flawed.
    And in some cases I concede that I am wrong. I may be wrong on details, but not on major point.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    Of course, in each situation, the boss should judge according to circumstances. If it is a large business in San Francisco, then firing any Democrats may be impossible. If it is a small business in a county where >80% voted for President Trump, and a worker indicated support for Cancel Culture on Twitter, then it is another story.

The most important point is philosophical rather then practical. Conservatives, Independents, and Classical Liberals must always remember that many Dems would happily take away their career. These Dems are not fellow citizens -- they are The Enemy. Not all Democrats, but enough Democrats.
    Can you provide specific examples to verify this claim?
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt you're right - but being possessed of that disability should not exempt him from being told straight out when his facts, his history or his logic is flawed. Some members treat him with kid gloves; I don't feel the need to do that. If he wants to participate in a discussion forum with non-autistic people, he should accept the challenge without expecting special favors - and without using his condition as an excuse for his failure to understand things.
    I can't say that I ever saw him use his condition as means of being coddled. I think I was the one that brought up his autism.

To me that is neither here nor there. What matters is the underlining premise of his argument, that Conservatives have been allowing liberals to control the narrative and we are always on the defensive. That it was time for Conservatives to take the offense and fight back

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (03-02-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    To me that is neither here nor there. What matters is the underlining premise of his argument, that Conservatives have been allowing liberals to control the narrative and we are always on the defensive. That it was time for Conservatives to take the offense and fight back
    Thank you.

Not only Conservatives, but also Independents and Classical Liberals including myself. Tens of thousands of people lost their jobs/careers. Millions live double lives out of fear.

Most Conservatives are afraid to voice their opinions in public:

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/...cal-expression

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

Omar (03-02-2021)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071x in 788 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Horse hockey. Conservatives are not in favor of firing people for expressing politic beliefs when they were off the job.
    Nah. Conservatives are the same as liberals here. They're just upset because they have no popular support when they try it. Liberal positions are popular, so firing liberals for having liberal positions is very unpopular. Nobody's going to be fired for supporting gay marriage or a higher minimum wage. They will get fired for antisemitic or white supremacist statements.

A quick example of conservative cancel culture? Kathy Griffin, cancelled. And liberals supported that. She did a stupid and offensive thing, she suffered the consequences. Liberals are consistent that way.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071x in 788 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    1) Myself and most Republicans, Independents, Classical Liberals have done or said something for which we would be cancelled by Progressives.
    And I keep asking exactly how you specifically are being 'cancelled', and you won't answer. Instead, you just make the same unsupported claim again.

So at this stage, it's obvious you're making up phony stories of victimhood. You're upset because you can't say stupid and offensive things without being criticized. You're demanding special snowflake treatment, and crying when everyone laughs at the demand.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes, I know he has mental issues and I refuse to make allowances for him because of it or coddle the man. He quite obviously lives in a fantasy world wherein real life doesn't always penetrate in any sort of uniform way. No one who supports his ideas out of a misplaced sense of sympathy is doing him any favors.
    I apologize, but sometimes losers such as myself may be much more in touch with reality then upper middle class people. In other words, Aspies and outcasts may understand some things better then Normies.

Most Normal people, especially people at or above upper middle class can not admit that everyone is weak and vulnerable. Aspies and outcasts are always aware of the gravity of situation.

In USA 2021, The Sword of Damocles hangs over everyone. Even the most successful person can be cancelled. Everyone who is not Progressive has to live in fear. For most successful people, this is hard to admit.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    Liberal positions are popular, so firing liberals for having liberal positions is very unpopular. Nobody's going to be fired for supporting gay marriage or a higher minimum wage. They will get fired for antisemitic or white supremacist statements.
    Hopefully hundreds of thousands of small Conservative businesses employing The Enemy in small Conservative counties will reconsider.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    And I keep asking exactly how you specifically are being 'cancelled', and you won't answer.
    I do not answer hostile questions on demand. Calm down.

+ Reply to Thread