User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tocqueville and Totalitarian Democracy in America

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,486x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tocqueville and Totalitarian Democracy in America

When totalitarianism comes to America...

Tocqueville and Totalitarian Democracy in America

...Perhaps totalitarianism is the very name that Tocqueville would have given to the kind of despotism he foresaw:

So I think that the type of oppression by which democratic peoples are threatened will resemble nothing of what preceded it in the world; our contemporaries cannot find the image of it in their memories. I seek in vain myself for an expression that exactly reproduces the idea that I am forming of it and includes it; the thing that I want to speak about is new, and men have not yet created the expression which must portray it. The old words of despotism and of tyranny do not work. The thing is new, so I must try to define it, since I cannot name it.

No previous tyranny or dictatorship has been willing or able to exercise so absolute, so penetrating, and so expansive a power: a power that destroys everything in society that is spontaneous, autonomous, and pluralistic, and that takes over anything that is private or social by the political. No dead autocrats ever attempted to “subject all his subjects indiscriminately to the details of a uniform rule.” As autocratic as Caesar’s rule of Rome was, for instance, his subjects preserved their diverse customs and mores, and although all Roman provinces were subjected to the emperor, most of them ruled themselves independently. Caesar and other autocrats were satisfied with exploiting (mercilessly sometimes) a few while leaving the rest alone.

What I observe in America today is the development of the kind of totalitarian democracy about which Tocqueville warned. I do not make this observation easily or lightly. It is based on 30 years of living in China under the totalitarian rule of the Communist Party, and more than four years of witnessing in America a cultural, social, and political situation shifting rapidly towards an experience with which I am all too familiar.

Democracy can be autocratic when decision-making is concentrated at the apex of the official hierarchy, the decision-making process is not accountable to anyone else, and other authorities who are supposed to share power in the government come to exist in name only. How is it not autocratic and tyrannical when New York lawmakers are mulling a bill (Bill A416) that would allow the state to remove and/or detain any person or a group of persons who are carriers of communicable diseases? This is a policy that the Chinese government has been implementing nationally since the outbreak of COVID19. The difference between the two regimes is merely procedural in that the same policy in the China case was made behind closed doors whereas in the New York case its decision-making process will be transparent to the public. But the difference does not matter because insofar as the explicit ruler or group of rulers possesses absolute power in deciding what is in the public interest and acts upon that decision in unquestionable authority, the public must obey.

Tyranny can be the rule of the one, the few, the well-born, or the many. A privilege to select leaders through voting via a democratic system is not equivalent to the people ruling themselves. I observe that Americans are bound by a gigantic and intricate web of regulations formulated with almost no reference to the public will. Not only does government prescribe uniform, public conduct, governors now even mandate masks in private homes amid the pandemic....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-21-2021),RMNIXON (03-21-2021)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,929x in 18,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As autocratic as Caesar’s rule of Rome was, for instance, his subjects preserved their diverse customs and mores, and although all Roman provinces were subjected to the emperor, most of them ruled themselves independently. Caesar and other autocrats were satisfied with exploiting (mercilessly sometimes) a few while leaving the rest alone.

I have been watching the show "Barbarians" on Netflix. It is about Rome trying to conquer and control the Germanic tribes of Central Europe. One thing that struck me is that while these people feared the overwhelming might and sophistication of Roman Armies, those soldiers could not be everywhere at once. And other than a few traitorous human spies they could not keep a close watch on the people either.

No doubt part of the reason the Roman Empire eventually fell was being stretched too far and too thin. Communication became more difficult over time and distance.

Could any of histories tyrants imagine the vast and instant Global Communication and Surveillance we have today? It is far too tempting an abuse of power to ignore!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-21-2021)

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,486x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I have been watching the show "Barbarians" on Netflix. It is about Rome trying to conquer and control the Germanic tribes of Central Europe. One thing that struck me is that while these people feared the overwhelming might and sophistication of Roman Armies, those soldiers could not be everywhere at once. And other than a few traitorous human spies they could not keep a close watch on the people either.

No doubt part of the reason the Roman Empire eventually fell was being stretched too far and too thin. Communication became more difficult over time and distance.

Could any of histories tyrants imagine the vast and instant Global Communication and Surveillance we have today? It is far too tempting an abuse of power to ignore!

Good point, "the vast and instant Global Communication and Surveillance we have today" allows a concentrated, centralized government to reach into every nook and cranny of society.

("Barbarians" is a great series!)
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,486x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Good point, "the vast and instant Global Communication and Surveillance we have today" allows a concentrated, centralized government to reach into every nook and cranny of society.

("Barbarians" is a great series!)
    And modern military commanders benefit from modern communications - except for the instant oversight from above that comes with it.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (03-21-2021)

+ Reply to Thread