User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Intelligence Of The Anti-Faith Secular Humanists Will Vanish.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I agree with much of this but I also think you underestimate the extent of true faith.
    How true can a faith be when someone can be so easily distracted from it, or when practicing it in any kind of serious way becomes inconvenient or incompatible with one's "lifestyle"? Church attendance may be this number, and self-identification as "Religious" in an opinion poll be that number, but when it comes to the number of Americans who actually apply scriptural principles of conduct and faith in their private and public lives, that number continues to diminish.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-09-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Right. Religion grows through births rather than through acquisitions. My parents were Christians so I am a Christian. This is why almost no one behaves as if their gods are real. It is a social club.
    Or simply a way to stand out from the "melting pot" of America by identifying with a particular religion, the way many people identify with a particular nationality or ethnicity. Americans brag about being Irish or Polish or Italian when their families haven't lived in those places in a hundred years or more, and they've personally never been there or so much as tried to learn the language. Cultural Christians - isn't that what they're called?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-09-2021)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    How true can a faith be when someone can be so easily distracted from it, or when practicing it in any kind of serious way becomes inconvenient or incompatible with one's "lifestyle"? Church attendance may be this number, and self-identification as "Religious" in an opinion poll be that number, but when it comes to the number of Americans who actually apply scriptural principles of conduct and faith in their private and public lives, that number continues to diminish.
    Not very true at all but how can anyone possibly make the sweeping determination you both made? Granted, you seem to have moved to the much more modest assertion that the number is simply diminishing. Perhaps, but this says as much if not more about Western decadence than it does religion per se. Judging from your first response, I think we agree that there is something unsightly about our current state.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not very true at all but how can anyone possibly make the sweeping determination you both made? Granted, you seem to have moved to the much more modest assertion that the number is simply diminishing. Perhaps, but this says as much if not more about Western decadence than it does religion per se. Judging from your first response, I think we agree that there is something unsightly about our current state.
    The prospect of religiosity in America - and I'm going to drop any pretense of ecumenical inclusivity at this point and just say Christianity - diminishing and eventually going away has its negative and positive aspects. Yes, many Christians do, as part and parcel of their faith and inspired by it, engage in many good, charitable works. Some Christians do hold Christ constantly in their minds as a guide and example for their daily living, and for their interactions with others. I've known people like that in mainstream Protestant churches, evangelical congregations and Catholic communities. They do good work, and their behavior is the best testimony possible for their Faith. On the other hand, some Christians feel compelled to try to impose their doctrinal beliefs and moral judgments on society in general - to enlist the civil and criminal law in forcing everyone to do and refrain from doing according to their interpretation of God's will, as was common throughout the U.S. for the first hundred and fifty years of our history. Those impulses and those attempts will not be missed.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The prospect of religiosity in America - and I'm going to drop any pretense of ecumenical inclusivity at this point and just say Christianity - diminishing and eventually going away has its negative and positive aspects. Yes, many Christians do, as part and parcel of their faith and inspired by it, engage in many good, charitable works. Some Christians do hold Christ constantly in their minds as a guide and example for their daily living, and for their interactions with others. I've known people like that in mainstream Protestant churches, evangelical congregations and Catholic communities. They do good work, and their behavior is the best testimony possible for their Faith. On the other hand, some Christians feel compelled to try to impose their doctrinal beliefs and moral judgments on society in general - to enlist the civil and criminal law in forcing everyone to do and refrain from doing according to their interpretation of God's will, as was common throughout the U.S. for the first hundred and fifty years of our history. Those impulses and those attempts will not be missed.
    I can agree with much of that but this enforcement of doctrinal beliefs and moral judgements appears to be a fairly common trait among the religious and non-religious. I know many progressives do not like to see their own preoccupations with "justice" and "fairness" as enforced moral judgments but they are of course nothing less than that. Examples that come immediately to mind are public accommodation laws, hate crimes and the recent gender pronoun insanity.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can agree with much of that but this enforcement of doctrinal beliefs and moral judgements appears to be a fairly common trait among the religious and non-religious. I know many progressives do not like to see their own preoccupations with "justice" and "fairness" as enforced moral judgments but they are of course nothing less than that. Examples that come immediately to mind are public accommodation laws, hate crimes and the recent gender pronoun insanity.
    That response is certainly logical and totally expected. The imposition of laws dealing with someone's notion of morality or justice is, however, especially dangerous to a free society when the authority for doing so is represented as coming from the Almighty God. To oppose such measures is invariably characterized as "evil" or "anti-God".

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That response is certainly logical and totally expected. The imposition of laws dealing with someone's notion of morality or justice is, however, especially dangerous to a free society when the authority for doing so is represented as coming from the Almighty God. To oppose such measures is invariably characterized as "evil" or "anti-God".
    Don't you think that this sort of absolute condemnation has been thoroughly secularized and carried over into the American political arena? I would concede that this kind of thinking originated in monotheism and I'd like to believe it's just hyperbole but I'm sometimes shocked by the rhetorical style I see here in the comments, in the articles cited and on the news (what little I view at this point). Are our opponents really monsters? Morons? Sure, sometimes. lol But I don't think most of the people who disagree with me, even on the issues I'm most passionate about, have some kind of moral defect.

~Alain de Benoist

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (04-10-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't you think that this sort of absolute condemnation has been thoroughly secularized and carried over into the American political arena? I would concede that this kind of thinking originated in monotheism and I'd like to believe it's just hyperbole but I'm sometimes shocked by the rhetorical style I see here in the comments, in the articles cited and on the news (what little I view at this point). Are our opponents really monsters? Morons? Sure, sometimes. lol But I don't think most of the people who disagree with me, even on the issues I'm most passionate about, have some kind of moral defect.
    I read mass condemnations of anyone even marginally in the "liberal" camp on this board every day - accusing them of having no morals, of hating America, yada yada yada. I'm told that the forum's conservatives get the same kind of flaming rhetoric from the forum liberals, but every time I ask for examples - crickets. Or I get a quote from AOC, or from some professor of applied guilt studies at the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople.

As for outside the forum, yes - absolutely! If you don't recognize and confess that you're a racist, you're a racist. If you defend someone who's been accused of being a racist, you're a racist. If you oppose letting transgendered individuals participate in women's sporting competitions, you're transphobic. If you invoke the Second Amendment, even in the most rational and thoughtful way, you're a gun-stroking redneck idiot who delights in seeing people killed. Ninety percent of Hollywood is currently afraid to question the silly new rules about films only being eligible for an Oscar nomination if a certain percentage of the cast and crew isn't non-White and/or non-male. They don't, in most cases, agree with the new policies, but they value their careers and incomes.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,462
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,551x in 17,987 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ninety percent of Hollywood is currently afraid to question the silly new rules about films only being eligible for an Oscar nomination if a certain percentage of the cast and crew isn't non-White and/or non-male. They don't, in most cases, agree with the new policies, but they value their careers and incomes.

Having known people in Hollywood (actually LA) who have worked in staging, lighting, ect....I can confirm that 90% either conform to political leftness or remain silent. This began back in the 90's long before the current race representation and diversity craze, but with the same result. Nobody dare criticize even when major films tank!

My OP yesterday more as a Bad Hollywood Joke than anything else:

Critics Predict Woke Comedy Thunder Force Fail (thepoliticalforums.com)

Did they think people would just eat this up because it hit all the correct Woke messaging even in a bad comedy?

+ Reply to Thread