Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,131x in 20,215 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Like many libs, she's extremely misguided.
    Her past directs her feet............it is the "nature of the beast"
    But I do protect her rights as zealously as I protect my own.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (04-08-2021)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,175
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,307x in 13,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Her past directs her feet............it is the "nature of the beast"
    But I do protect her rights as zealously as I protect my own.
    Agreed.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (04-08-2021)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,046
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,612x in 4,342 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your attempt at humor is weak. [1] I don't do pink and green hair, black fingernail polish, and liberal women.
    Actually I don't care about appearances, I care about the character. [2]
    Polly may not believe this, but I enjoy sparring with her. I think she has a good heart, but carries too much of a personal load. [3]
    [1] Yeah, but at least it was better than the pitifully dorky OP.

[2] Well which is it?

I'm partial to purple and blue myself. Jus favorite colors that contrast nicely with lots of black. Nonetheless, despite my disappointment with nature that way, I think I'd be most at home in a world where your hair could just run natural, wild and free. And I do have some tattoos. And I's currently spoken for, by a womanz. Guess I'm a bit of a cliche that way. Oh well!

What's your definition of character? I'm guessing that being a vegetarian, atheist lesbian who prostituted her way through college and currently bags people's groceries for a living and complains on the internet means I measure up, right?

[3] I know ya do. I wouldn't bother otherwise. I'm over my youthful demonization-of-political-others phase. I know you're human and mean well in your own way too. At least I think. Most of the time.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,456
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post

[2] Well which is it?

I'm partial to purple and blue myself. Jus favorite colors that contrast nicely with lots of black. Nonetheless, despite my disappointment with nature that way, I think I'd be most at home in a world where your hair could just run natural, wild and free. And I do have some tattoos. And I's currently spoken for, by a womanz. Guess I'm a bit of a cliche that way. Oh well!

What's your definition of character? I'm guessing that being a vegetarian, atheist lesbian who prostituted her way through college and currently bags people's groceries for a living and complains on the internet means I measure up, right?

[3] I know ya do. I wouldn't bother otherwise. I'm over my youthful demonization-of-political-others phase. I know you're human and mean well in your own way too. At least I think. Most of the time.
    did you not read this part?
    I think she has a good heart, but carries too much of a personal load.
    We've talked very briefly about your past and I know that it is difficult, sometimes, to not use it to measure your future.
    I think you are smart and have a well rounded educational experience. We might even have some similarities in our history.
    I do consider you thoughtful, even though we are on opposite sides of the fence.
    Character? Well, let's say as long as you aren't calling for my blood, we can get along.
    As far as your political beliefs, they too are based on your history.
    I used to be a liberal and a registered democrat, then I started getting the bill...........the first thing anyone does when they get their paycheck is figure out how to pay all of these bills, you begin to think like a conservative.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-08-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,098x in 27,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!

Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-08-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you not read this part?

We've talked very briefly about your past and I know that it is difficult, sometimes, to not use it to measure your future.
    I think you are smart and have a well rounded educational experience. We might even have some similarities in our history.
    I do consider you thoughtful, even though we are on opposite sides of the fence.
    Character? Well, let's say as long as you aren't calling for my blood, we can get along.
    As far as your political beliefs, they too are based on your history.
    I used to be a liberal and a registered democrat, then I started getting the bill...........the first thing anyone does when they get their paycheck is figure out how to pay all of these bills, you begin to think like a conservative.
    I did see that part. That's what I was responding to in my third note. Anyway, thanks!

For me, finances are like the #1 reason why I can't see myself becoming a conservative. Or at least for so long as the definition of "conservative" in this country remains what it is right now anyway. And that brings me to another point: I live in a more liberal-minded state (Vermont) that simply doesn't have the political divisions along race lines, class lines, age lines, sex lines, or based on one's level of education or whether they live in a rural or urban setting that the country more largely has and in recent years and I think that's traditionally given me an incorrect view of who conservatives are. My mental picture of a conservative has traditionally been of some aloof, office-bound industrialist somewhere I'll never see or some Wall Street or oil executive type who frequents the country club and some church belonging to the Southern Baptist Convention several days a week, ya know?

Although I think it's crystal clear that I loathed Donald Trump and still do, one helpful thing that came out of that experience for me was the revelation that there are actually such things as working class conservatives, for example. Likewise, recent years have seen questions like gender identity (transgenderism) and "sex work" move more to the forefront of the women's movement that I've long been committed to and one result has been the revelation that maybe I agree more with conservatives than I do with progressives on some issues; maybe more issues than I'd thought before. I get the concerns about political censorship much better today than before the Trump era, now that I find myself on the receiving end often, even as a leftist. You may not like this part, but the whole Russia issue has also made me I think a bit more nationalistic than I'm used to being too because it's just made me more aware than there are real and legitimate security concerns that do matter. Anyway, the point is that I've actually conservatized a good amount in recent years compared to where I used to be. While nothing has improved my opinion of our last president himself, I have certainly come to see, you know, many conservatives as actual human beings and not just as all xenophobic monsters who want to eat the poor and colonize the world. I hope that counts as maturing anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (04-09-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did see that part. That's what I was responding to in my third note. Anyway, thanks!

For me, finances are like the #1 reason why I can't see myself becoming a conservative. Or at least for so long as the definition of "conservative" in this country remains what it is right now anyway. And that brings me to another point: I live in a more liberal-minded state (Vermont) that simply doesn't have the political divisions along race lines, class lines, age lines, sex lines, or based on one's level of education or whether they live in a rural or urban setting that the country more largely has and in recent years and I think that's traditionally given me an incorrect view of who conservatives are. My mental picture of a conservative has traditionally been of some aloof, office-bound industrialist somewhere I'll never see or some Wall Street or oil executive type who frequents the country club and some church belonging to the Southern Baptist Convention several days a week, ya know?

Although I think it's crystal clear that I loathed Donald Trump and still do, one helpful thing that came out of that experience for me was the revelation that there are actually such things as working class conservatives, for example. Likewise, recent years have seen questions like gender identity (transgenderism) and "sex work" move more to the forefront of the women's movement that I've long been committed to and one result has been the revelation that maybe I agree more with conservatives than I do with progressives on some issues; maybe more issues than I'd thought before. I get the concerns about political censorship much better today than before the Trump era, now that I find myself on the receiving end often, even as a leftist. You may not like this part, but the whole Russia issue has also made me I think a bit more nationalistic than I'm used to being too because it's just made me more aware than there are real and legitimate security concerns that do matter. Anyway, the point is that I've actually conservatized a good amount in recent years compared to where I used to be. While nothing has improved my opinion of our last president himself, I have certainly come to see, you know, many conservatives as actual human beings and not just as all xenophobic monsters who want to eat the poor and colonize the world. I hope that counts as maturing anyway.
    I have worked all of my life. I have built homes, apartments, and commercial buildings. I have always been working class.
    So my feet are well grounded. Being a conservative does not equate into racism or bigotry. That's a lie foisted by others.
    Being a conservative means not holding your hand out looking for free stuff because there is no such thing as free stuff.
    I find that a lot of liberals seem to think conservatives work for THEM. They look to the producers to supply them with their needs instead of getting off their collective asses and go to work. You cannot deny that there are a lot of freeloaders out there, and yes there are some conservatives that stand around with their hands out, but they tend to be young and have pitiful work ethics,
    What irritates me is that some think that by burning, raping, and rioting, that it will cause the rest of us to buy them off.
    The deadbeats are calling not only for your house, they want mine as well.
    For me, that isn't going to happen. I earned this, I paid for it, and it's mine. Conservative
    "I want your house. I want a check every month from you. I want free food and medicine." alt Left
    No one handed me anything. Being a small contractor is tough, real tough. It's dog eat dog out there. Yet I still overcame those issues and managed to buy two houses and sell one. It took 35 years of hard work and dedication.....and planning. Heavy on the planning.
    There were no "vacations", no trips to Disneyland, no fancy cars, and many times, no "extras."
    I never once blamed anyone for a failure, except myself. In the beginning, I made mistakes, but I fixed them. My word was all I ever had at the end of the day. No self-inflated opinion, and no lying to myself or to others.
    I learned that one can only stand tall on what they've done, and not what they feel or say.
    I am a builder by nature. Dow Corning in Kendallville is the acme of my accomplishments. I helped by putting 300 people to work between my crew and the people that finally worked there. That's an accomplishment no one can take from me.
    I build. I do not destroy.
    - Thucydides

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (04-10-2021),IMPress Polly (04-10-2021),MisterVeritis (04-09-2021),Peter1469 (04-09-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worked all of my life. I have built homes, apartments, and commercial buildings. I have always been working class.
    So my feet are well grounded. Being a conservative does not equate into racism or bigotry. That's a lie foisted by others.
    Being a conservative means not holding your hand out looking for free stuff because there is no such thing as free stuff.
    I find that a lot of liberals seem to think conservatives work for THEM. They look to the producers to supply them with their needs instead of getting off their collective asses and go to work. You cannot deny that there are a lot of freeloaders out there, and yes there are some conservatives that stand around with their hands out, but they tend to be young and have pitiful work ethics,
    What irritates me is that some think that by burning, raping, and rioting, that it will cause the rest of us to buy them off.
    The deadbeats are calling not only for your house, they want mine as well.
    For me, that isn't going to happen. I earned this, I paid for it, and it's mine. Conservative
    "I want your house. I want a check every month from you. I want free food and medicine." alt Left
    No one handed me anything. Being a small contractor is tough, real tough. It's dog eat dog out there. Yet I still overcame those issues and managed to buy two houses and sell one. It took 35 years of hard work and dedication.....and planning. Heavy on the planning.
    There were no "vacations", no trips to Disneyland, no fancy cars, and many times, no "extras."
    I never once blamed anyone for a failure, except myself. In the beginning, I made mistakes, but I fixed them. My word was all I ever had at the end of the day. No self-inflated opinion, and no lying to myself or to others.
    I learned that one can only stand tall on what they've done, and not what they feel or say.
    I am a builder by nature. Dow Corning in Kendallville is the acme of my accomplishments. I helped by putting 300 people to work between my crew and the people that finally worked there. That's an accomplishment no one can take from me.
    I build. I do not destroy.
    Hmm. This sentiment reminds me a lot of producerism. I mean with your description of the supreme value of physically creating things, strong concept of a deserving poor who make things and a parasitic undeserving poor who don't (as perhaps me, for example, being a service worker instead of perhaps a manufacturer or a construction worker or toiler in some other male-dominated occupation), traditionalist sense of cultural values, etc. Would you consider yourself a producerist?
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-10-2021 at 01:20 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (04-10-2021)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,175
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,307x in 13,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your mental picture of a conservative couldn't possibly be more off base if you tried. Many of us are just plain old working class stiffs.

If liberalism is so great, and you live in a lefty state, why are you bagging groceries for a living? Not that there's anything wrong with that, though I imagine the pay isn't that great. Is it a union store?
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. This sentiment reminds me a lot of producerism. I mean with your description of the supreme value of physically creating things, strong concept of a deserving poor who make things and a parasitic undeserving poor who don't (as perhaps me, for example, being a service worker instead of perhaps a manufacturer or a construction worker or toiler in some other male-dominated occupation), traditionalist sense of cultural values, etc. Would you consider yourself a producerist?
    Producerism is an ideology which holds that those members of society engaged in the production of tangible wealth are of greater benefit to society than, for example, aristocrats who inherit their wealth and status.
    I never hear of that, but in some way it does apply to me, I guess. I never consider myself to be anything other than a man who answers his nature. But I am thoughtful about what I build. Builders need an "urge" to create. Every time I created something, I sit back and study what I've done. Does it serve its purpose? Does it function as the owner wanted? Is it pleasing to the eye? But most importantly, was the event satisfying?
    Docthehun recently laid a lot of train stuff on me. It was pretty substantial, monetary-wise, and had a vast resource of material to be used on a set of mild size. I intend to build a mountain for the first time ever, now having the material to make it happen. I've never done that before because I'm a carpenter, not an artist. I think in straight lines and arcs. It isn't what it is, it is the challenge to create what I want.
    This will also be the first for me.
    As a builder by nature, I'm constantly challenging myself to go beyond my experience.
    I suspect you are one as well. But you are more service oriented. You help other people. That seems to be in your nature as well. I would guess you like the people and the environment. You are more like my wife who is also a service person by her nature. Even though she has a degree as a CMA, she decided a long time ago that sitting in an office is not her style. She has this urge to be of service to people and she is damned good at her job and her clients enjoy her as well. You and I both provide benefit to others.
    You history as well as mine has led us down our paths. Our failures are our successes, because if hadn't had failures, we wouldn't learn a thing and create success. This is character.
    Both of us have answered the call of what they do. Both of us care for the people we work around even though, sometimes, they are as children.
    I had it rough as a child, not nearly as rough as you, but I like to think I would be doing the same thing to day because it is something that cannot be taken away or lost. It is part of what makes us.
    It wasn't a dream to build, it was something deeper, something more obscure, the thing that drives us.
    Then you have the other side of the coin: The Destroyers.
    They destroy what they don't understand. They destroy that which they cannot create themselves, they do not incorporate or utilize, and some enjoy destruction and revel in it. That kind of thinking is beyond my understanding.
    While we may be on opposite sides of the political spectrum, we may share part of the same spirit.
    As far as your sexuality goes, it is of no concern to me as I do not judge people that way. I judge people by the standards of Creation and Destruction because that is my nature. I look at the personally impossible, and think my way through it, like my mountain. I will create this instead of tearing someone else's apart out of spite and despite the fact that I've never even tried anything like that, I will learn how to construct it.
    How we handle construction/destruction ideologies is what shapes our character. It also affects our spirits and shapes that as well. To destroy with a purpose of rebuilding is one thing, to mindlessly destroy is a whole different cow to milk. That I do not understand.
    We are just on opposites sides of the fence.
    - Thucydides

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-10-2021)

+ Reply to Thread