User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navy officer under scrutiny for letter disparaging enlisted sailors as ‘deviants’...

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,249x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Navy officer under scrutiny for letter disparaging enlisted sailors as ‘deviants’...

...and perverts.

Navy officer under scrutiny for letter disparaging enlisted sailors as ‘deviants’ and ‘perverts’

TOKYO — An officer at Yokosuka Naval Base is under investigation for purportedly writing a complaint to the base housing office about the “deviant nature” of enlisted sailors who pose a danger to his family.

The letter, allegedly authored by Lt. Nathanael Allison of Naval Hospital Yokosuka, states that living in the Ikego Housing Detachment in an apartment building for enlisted families is “unacceptable.” The message, filled with spelling and grammatical errors, condemns enlisted sailors as “perverts” and accuses them of egregious behavior such as rape, involvement in drug cartels and attacking each other with hatchets.

“There are often drunk and often hostile sailors hanging around enlisted housing,” the letter states. “Housing with enlisted greatly increases the risk to my family. I have a good-looking family, a wife and two daughters ages 3 and 4. They are prime targets to be victims for these enlisted deviant activities.”

According to screenshots, the letter was sent Feb 8 via a Google email account to housing. It began circulating last week on military community Facebook pages, and a YouTube video about the letter has garnered over 300,000 views as of Monday.
    The letter states that officers are “more respectable” than enlisted members and that Allison’s children should “only be friends with officers’ children” and his wife “only friends with officer wives.” He also expressed concern that his officer colleagues would not want to visit him in enlisted housing.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific...verts-1.668472
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    ...and perverts.

Navy officer under scrutiny for letter disparaging enlisted sailors as ‘deviants’ and ‘perverts’

TOKYO — An officer at Yokosuka Naval Base is under investigation for purportedly writing a complaint to the base housing office about the “deviant nature” of enlisted sailors who pose a danger to his family.

The letter, allegedly authored by Lt. Nathanael Allison of Naval Hospital Yokosuka, states that living in the Ikego Housing Detachment in an apartment building for enlisted families is “unacceptable.” The message, filled with spelling and grammatical errors, condemns enlisted sailors as “perverts” and accuses them of egregious behavior such as rape, involvement in drug cartels and attacking each other with hatchets.

“There are often drunk and often hostile sailors hanging around enlisted housing,” the letter states. “Housing with enlisted greatly increases the risk to my family. I have a good-looking family, a wife and two daughters ages 3 and 4. They are prime targets to be victims for these enlisted deviant activities.”

According to screenshots, the letter was sent Feb 8 via a Google email account to housing. It began circulating last week on military community Facebook pages, and a YouTube video about the letter has garnered over 300,000 views as of Monday.
    The letter states that officers are “more respectable” than enlisted members and that Allison’s children should “only be friends with officers’ children” and his wife “only friends with officer wives.” He also expressed concern that his officer colleagues would not want to visit him in enlisted housing.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific...verts-1.668472
    He's a Yale man!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over the years I did encounter officers who seemed to harbor this kind of sentiment. (Ironically some of them were former enlisted.) My first dozen years on active duty, however, were in the Naval Aviation community, where the socializing and partying - especially on deployment - tended to defy (or ignore) distinctions of rank and rate. I suspect this officer is new to the Service - He's an O-3, but newly commissioned doctors, if that's what he is, get that on Day One - and probably comes from a background where he wasn't required to mingle with the hoi polloi. Then, too, he might have grown up watching shows like 'M.A.S.H.', where the officers were pretty much all sophisticated geniuses and the enlisted men were dullards.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,714
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,087x in 28,496 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snobbery is not unique to the Navy.

But if he is older and raising a family, then he may not enjoy being housed with single young men 5000 miles from home and having his kids and wife exposed to what young single men commonly act like.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Snobbery is not unique to the Navy.

But if he is older and raising a family, then he may not enjoy being housed with single young men 5000 miles from home and having his kids and wife exposed to what young single men commonly act like.
    I'm not familiar with the setup at that base specifically, but I've never heard of a military housing unit that mixed family housing and enlisted barracks facilities. That wouldn't work at all. I'm quite sure this Lieutenant is referring to the enlisted sailors who have their families there. Unaccompanied personnel would be housed somewhere else.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,425x in 94,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I'm not familiar with the setup at that base specifically, but I've never heard of a military housing unit that mixed family housing and enlisted barracks facilities. That wouldn't work at all. I'm quite sure this Lieutenant is referring to the enlisted sailors who have their families there. Unaccompanied personnel would be housed somewhere else.
    I don't think on base house for married should be mixed officer / enlisted. Each service has fraternization policies (which cover all relationships, not just sex). And the Navy takes this more seriously than the other services, don't they still have different mess halls for officers and enlisted?

Funny that the officer's letter was full of misspellings. When I went to my intermediate level service school, the instructors liked the JAGs even if we weren't up to snuff with that level of tactics and strategy, because we could write.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I don't think on base house for married should be mixed officer / enlisted. Each service has fraternization policies (which cover all relationships, not just sex). And the Navy takes this more seriously than the other services, don't they still have different mess halls for officers and enlisted? ....
    On bases of any size, yes, but I've been stationed at or deployed to places where separate dining facilities, as they're called, wouldn't make sense.

As for mixed family housing, I understand that Japan has a land scarcity problem, but while the Services have had high-rise barracks facilities for many years for single and unaccompanied personnel, I've never seen or heard of high-rise family housing. The only time I ever took advantage of family housing was in Hawaii, and the units there were single family houses or duplexes. There may have been officers living in some of those units, I'm not sure...although in my experience officers usually made it a point to live off base if at all possible and could afford to do so. Anyway, as I say, the whole high-rise apartment situation is a different animal.

As for enforcement of any fraternization policy in the Navy - oh, that was quite variable. When I was flying in P-3s, the crews, officers and enlisted, would party together on deployment, in places like Osan, Hong Kong, Olongapo and Misawa, without regard to rank or rate. One of our C.O.s, a full Commander, and an Airman (E-3) were regular golf partners. Even in the blackshoe Navy, it really depended on the personalities involved. At my last duty station, Centerville Beach in far NoCal, a certain female Ensign was romantically involved with a Seaman - I think he'd been busted down from PO3 at least once - and when his enlistment was up and he became a civilian she used to invite him onto the base to hang out and play kissy-face in full view of the watch team.

+ Reply to Thread