User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How the Death of 6,000 Sheep Spurred the American Debate on Chemical Weapons

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,636x in 25,171 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post How the Death of 6,000 Sheep Spurred the American Debate on Chemical Weapons

How the Death of 6,000 Sheep Spurred the American Debate on Chemical Weapons

The Dugway sheep incident of March 1968 made visible the military’s covert attempts to test and stockpile millions of dollars worth of chemical weapons.

5f5a5b691a379.jpg

The morning of March 14, 1968, began just like any other day in the rural, snow-covered hills of Skull Valley, Utah. But for Tooele County Sheriff Fay Gillette, the carnage of the day would be forever seared in his mind, and for the rest of the country, it would come to be a flashpoint for a national debate about the use of chemical weapons. “I’ve never seen such a sight in my life,” Gillette later told investigative reporter Seymour Hersh about the thousands of dead livestock splayed across the landscape. “It was like a movie version of ‘death and destruction’—you know, like after the bomb goes off. Sheep laying all over. All of them down—patches of white as far as you could see.”

In the weeks and months tha followed, local veterinarians and health officials investigated the matter. Their findings: the jet that sprayed VX gas had experienced a malfunction in its delivery tanks and had accidentally released the gas at a much higher altitude than intended, allowing it to be blown far from the testing grounds. The ill-fated sheep had been grazing on grass covered in the chemical. Some died within 24 hours while others remained ill for weeks before succumbing, “generally act[ing] dazed, [with] their heads tilted down and off to the side, walk[ing] in a stilted, uncoordinated manner,” reported Philip Boffey for the journal Science. It was exactly the suite of symptoms scientists would expect to accompany poisoning by VX nerve gas. But the most damning report came from the National
    Communicable Disease Center in Atlanta, which tested the water and forage food from the area, as well as the blood and livers of dead sheep. Their tests “prove beyond doubt that these responses are in fact identical and can only be attributed to the same chemical” as the Army provided for comparison, stated the report.

gettyimages-595692841_master.jpg

14435745.jpg

sheep.jpg

sheep2.jpg https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...=pocket-newtab

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to go to an undisclosed location for advanced NBC training when I was an enlisted soldier. We were in a level IV sealed room and all of the US chemical weapons released so we could test for them and see that our protective gear actually worked.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-10-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,636x in 25,171 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I got to go to an undisclosed location for advanced NBC training when I was an enlisted soldier. We were in a level IV sealed room and all of the US chemical weapons released so we could test for them and see that our protective gear actually worked.
    I watch a pelosi-ton of WW1 and WW2 shows. I watch the chemical attacks from WW1 and the flimsy protection they had then. Wow.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-10-2021)

Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,393x in 27,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I watch a pelosi-ton of WW1 and WW2 shows. I watch the chemical attacks from WW1 and the flimsy protection they had then. Wow.
    However, our flimsy, cloth masks we use daily will protect us from molecules several orders of magnitude smaller than the complex molecules found in chemical weapons.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

+ Reply to Thread