Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,436x in 28,111 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I can accept a general level of (1). You react unconsciously to those who are like you more positively than those who differ. I react more positively to a family member than I do to a stranger. I react more positively to someone who looks like me, sounds like me, acts like me than I do to those who differ. It's not about race particularly, or just about race, though race can play a part. And I think (1) is biological, (2) learned.
    Is not as much who looks like you but experience and statistics
    It is risk/trust assessment

A black kid will be more afraid of walking though a crowd of other black kids at night than a group of old white woman.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,708x in 54,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Is not as much who looks like you but experience and statistics
    It is risk/trust assessment

A black kid will be more afraid of walking though a crowd of other black kids at night than a group of old white woman.
    Those psych studies do show attraction to the familiar, aversion to the strange in infants, of a general sort. But yes people do learn it from experience. As a kid living in the far suburbs of Chicago, I'd go into the city and walk everywhere, right through black neighborhoods without fear because I'd never experienced any cause for fear. Nowadays I'd steer clear of kids in their 20s, white, black or brown, too maany drugs on the street.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-13-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 2,123
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,448x in 11,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Those psych studies do show attraction to the familiar, aversion to the strange in infants, of a general sort. But yes people do learn it from experience. As a kid living in the far suburbs of Chicago, I'd go into the city and walk everywhere, right through black neighborhoods without fear because I'd never experienced any cause for fear. Nowadays I'd steer clear of kids in their 20s, white, black or brown, too maany drugs on the street.
    Research is generally showing that infants begin showing racial preference around 6 months, which coincides with developing visual acuity around 5 months. It is impossible to actually know about preference of a factor that infants cannot assess for (sort of like asking a deaf person if Bach is any good). Somewhat similarly, most infants, including those being included in these studies, are exposed primarily to individuals of the same race (their family). It would be interesting to look at maybe adopted or fostered infants in a home with guardians of a different race, but then attachment might be impacted and harm the results.
    FYIWDWYTM

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can accept a general level of (1). You react unconsciously to those who are like you more positively than those who differ. I react more positively to a family member than I do to a stranger. I react more positively to someone who looks like me, sounds like me, acts like me than I do to those who differ. It's not about race particularly, or just about race, though race can play a part. And I think (1) is biological, (2) learned.
    This is just another rear guard action in the (very) long retreat from the heavily ideological (and largely Jewish) social science of the 1950s and 1960s.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,708x in 54,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Research is generally showing that infants begin showing racial preference around 6 months, which coincides with developing visual acuity around 5 months. It is impossible to actually know about preference of a factor that infants cannot assess for (sort of like asking a deaf person if Bach is any good). Somewhat similarly, most infants, including those being included in these studies, are exposed primarily to individuals of the same race (their family). It would be interesting to look at maybe adopted or fostered infants in a home with guardians of a different race, but then attachment might be impacted and harm the results.
    See the OP. None of those studies are reliable. Especially when it comes to racial studies.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-13-2021)

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,123x in 892 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will America have a 2nd Civil War...Will it look more like a holocaust for...?

+ Reply to Thread