User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Newsmax, OANN, and Fox Media threats to American Democracy?

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The news media; regardless of whether or not it is left wing or right wing is all about money regardless of whether or not it is commentary. You don't necessarily make profits by telling the truth, rather by telling people what they want to hear.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,140x in 28,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    The news media; regardless of whether or not it is left wing or right wing is all about money regardless of whether or not it is commentary. You don't necessarily make profits by telling the truth, rather by telling people what they want to hear.
    It has gone beyond that now. The left wing news is not making money in the USA. FOX is projected to make more than the domestic news divisions of CNN, MSNBC and the three networks combined in 2021. Newsmax is estimated to make 350 million this year and that beats CNN and MSNBC hands down.

Do it is not about profits anymore of the news divisions. This is about their corporate parents selling of American wealth for global profits. Big tech as a supplier of news, has more ex-USA users than domestic. That is why they are willing to sell us out so fast.
    CNN International revenues are still the king of money makers.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-14-2021),texan (04-14-2021)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,645
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some serious news people that do a good job. The "news media" you are more referring to are op-ed opinion people. They have become worthless on every network.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,645
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    It has gone beyond that now. The left wing news is not making money in the USA. FOX is projected to make more than the domestic news divisions of CNN, MSNBC and the three networks combined in 2021. Newsmax is estimated to make 350 million this year and that beats CNN and MSNBC hands down.

Do it is not about profits anymore of the news divisions. This is about their corporate parents selling of American wealth for global profits. Big tech as a supplier of news, has more ex-USA users than domestic. That is why they are willing to sell us out so fast.
    CNN International revenues are still the king of money makers.
    The owners of these outlets are now the big businesses. They report what they want. Whatever helps them. Past that they don't care.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (01-06-2023)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,140x in 28,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    The owners of these outlets are now the big businesses. They report what they want. Whatever helps them. Past that they don't care.
    Which has become political agenda over profit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (04-14-2021)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,957x in 18,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a profit in news broadcasting has been going on for decades and has never been about micromanagement of content and cancel culture until recently.

We all know who got that started so lets not blame the free market.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-29-2021)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    Making a profit in news broadcasting has been going on for decades and has never been about micromanagement of content and cancel culture until recently.

We all know who got that started so lets not blame the free market.
    Up until the mid-1980's all three alphabet news organizations were money losers. Once they were sold to other entities is when their philosophy changed. Newcomers into the ring (CNN, Fox, etc) had different philosophies as well. Micromanagement has been going on for a little over 35 years now, just that it's getting worse but this is what the shareholders want.

Face it, we live in a capitalistic society and making a profit is paramount over objective reporting. You want to point fingers, point them at the system.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replies lacked content. One exception dark money, here I agree, dark money is on both republican and democratic sides of the partisan fence. Its impact would depend on distribution and target. I'm not sure of it overall impact this election. One reason was the situation with Covid. Another is many republicans I know who never voted for a democrat did this time. Trump was obvious bad news for many voters, that fact was not 'dark' it was right in front of you. [See Hiding in Plain Sight, challenge yourself for a change]

I don't know what a left wing bias is, like most replies it is only words, and if you switch the text around a bit it is what you guys call 'cancel' culture. You cancel what you don't like. When I think of Conservatism today, I don't see it. I see nationalism, intolerance, white supremacists, even religion today is nationalistic as it wants government to control a woman's life.

I'll leave it there for now quoting a Conservative who thinks and a quote at bottom on nationalism.

"It was our creed and the belief system that was personified and lived in a culture, our institutions of civil societies and our democratic way of government that made America the greatest nation in the history of all nations. In a word, it was our belief in ourselves as a good and free people. That's what made American exceptional. That's what made us a free country. And it continues to do so today."

https://www.heritage.org/conservatis...em-nationalism

"... there is a huge difference between the historical phenomena of nationalism and respect for the sovereignty of a democratic nation-state. Nationalism celebrates cultural and even ethnic differences of a people, regardless of the form of government. The democratic nation-state, on the other hand, grounds its legitimacy and its sovereignty in democratic governance."

Good words there, maybe OAN Fox and Newsmax should listen.

"The president [Trump] is a nationalist, which is not at all the same thing as a patriot. A nationalist encourages us to be our worst, and then tells us that we are the best. A nationalist, 'although endlessly brooding on power, victory, defeat, revenge,' wrote Orwell, tends to be 'uninterested in what happens in the real world.' Nationalism is relativist, since the only truth is the resentment we feel when we contemplate others. As the novelist Danilo Kiš put it, nationalism 'has no universal values, aesthetic or ethical.' A patriot, by contrast, wants the nation to live up to its ideals, which means asking us to be our best selves. A patriot must be concerned with the real world, which is the only place where his country can be loved and sustained. A patriot has universal values, standards by which he judges his nation, always wishing it well—and wishing that it would do better." Timothy Snyder 'On Tyranny'
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Replies lacked content. One exception dark money, here I agree, dark money is on both republican and democratic sides of the partisan fence. Its impact would depend on distribution and target. I'm not sure of it overall impact this election. One reason was the situation with Covid. Another is many republicans I know who never voted for a democrat did this time. Trump was obvious bad news for many voters, that fact was not 'dark' it was right in front of you. [See Hiding in Plain Sight, challenge yourself for a change]

I don't know what a left wing bias is, like most replies it is only words, and if you switch the text around a bit it is what you guys call 'cancel' culture. You cancel what you don't like. When I think of Conservatism today, I don't see it. I see nationalism, intolerance, white supremacists, even religion today is nationalistic as it wants government to control a woman's life.

I'll leave it there for now quoting a Conservative who thinks and a quote at bottom on nationalism.

"It was our creed and the belief system that was personified and lived in a culture, our institutions of civil societies and our democratic way of government that made America the greatest nation in the history of all nations. In a word, it was our belief in ourselves as a good and free people. That's what made American exceptional. That's what made us a free country. And it continues to do so today."

"... there is a huge difference between the historical phenomena of nationalism and respect for the sovereignty of a democratic nation-state. Nationalism celebrates cultural and even ethnic differences of a people, regardless of the form of government. The democratic nation-state, on the other hand, grounds its legitimacy and its sovereignty in democratic governance."

"The president [Trump] is a nationalist, which is not at all the same thing as a patriot. A nationalist encourages us to be our worst, and then tells us that we are the best. A nationalist, 'although endlessly brooding on power, victory, defeat, revenge,' wrote Orwell, tends to be 'uninterested in what happens in the real world.' Nationalism is relativist, since the only truth is the resentment we feel when we contemplate others. As the novelist Danilo Kiš put it, nationalism 'has no universal values, aesthetic or ethical.' A patriot, by contrast, wants the nation to live up to its ideals, which means asking us to be our best selves. A patriot must be concerned with the real world, which is the only place where his country can be loved and sustained. A patriot has universal values, standards by which he judges his nation, always wishing it well—and wishing that it would do better." Timothy Snyder 'On Tyranny'
    You should stop using that quote. It is not correct.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-29-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,818x in 15,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post

*Replies lacked content*

There is plenty of content, content which you willfully ignore because it allays your narrative.

"dark money" information/distribution is readily available;

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/202...electioncycle/

I suspect you willfully ignore that also because it allays your narrative.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-29-2021),The Sage of Main Street (03-08-2023)

+ Reply to Thread