User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why sports make you miserable, according to science...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,585x in 25,141 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Why sports make you miserable, according to science...

Why sports make you miserable, according to science...

ezgif-2-a36d27690c2e.jpg

On Monday, a seismic shakeup hit the world of European football, threatening to alter the DNA of the biggest sport on Earth. The formation of an invitation-only European Super League, in which 12 of the continent’s economic powerhouse clubs will compete, sharing lavish sums of cash between them, has the sport’s 4 billion global diehards fuming. Though it’s a watershed moment in the nearly 150 year history of the sport’s continental dominance, the heated emotions aroused by the Super League’s formation should be familiar to sports fans of all stripes, from long-suffering Marlins season ticket holders to those willing to defend the Arizona Coyotes hockey team year after year: Sports make us miserable.

Professional sports leagues provide a venue for broad cross-sections of the public to coalesce around a common identity, which isn’t inherently bad. It’s just that these days, the prevailing sentiment of so many sports teams and their undying fans is one of overwhelming collective anguish. So why do millions of sports fans subject themselves to the torment of supporting teams that perpetually fail? And are there any ways to detach from the cycle of crushing disappointment while still observing our cherished loyalties?

Cavs - We are champions.jpg

dyer24-03-pm.jpg

023.JPG

Jordan.jpg

https://lifehacker.com/why-sports-ma...nce-1846715851
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to science, huh. That was kinda silly as even 'afternoon delight' is not always wonderful. LOL I loved baseball and played in HS but never got so wrapped up in it that it controlled my emotions. Our grandson has a fit when they lose in football or basketball but he's a kid. Grow up people, it's just a game.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

+ Reply to Thread