Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Let's get real: clothes are made by male designers for male-owned companies. Men's clothes are designed for men and and so are our's. Men's clothes are for the comfort and convenience of men and women's clothes are for the male gaze. Men are treated as subjects, women as objects. I have no interest in the male gaze personally these days, therefore I really couldn't care less which department $#@! comes from. I think we should just abolish the concept of "men's" and "women's" clothing and get rid of the separate departments and just let people feel comfortable expressing their own individuality for themselves, on their own terms, rather than in conformity with socially compelled, misogynistic sex roles only.
    The thing is, most male designers of women's and often men's clothing are gay, so one has to wonder for whom they are designing. As an aside, I've seen some truly hideous outfits on the runway that look like the designer raided the Sally Ann for the worst looking dresses that they could find in plus sizes and then put them on size 4 models. The models end up looking like waifs in borrowed clothing.

In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Manny Decker's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 289x in 195 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    As for Harry Styles, he still has enough celebrity in the tank to Act Gay and still pretend he is not..........

Don't try this at home!
    Yeah he acts like a $#@! but has certainly shagged a lot of tasty birds!
    RIP Wes

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    They brought them back - I think they have a slightly different name like belt bag or something.

Here's one at Michael Kors - it's called a Sling Pack (worn crossbody):

This one is called a belt bag:
    I have a sling backpack. Like a small day pack. It is comfortable to wear.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-25-2021)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I have a sling backpack. Like a small day pack. It is comfortable to wear.

I've noticed that sling backpacks have grown increasingly popular with subway and train commuters, replacing the full backpacks (likely because you can't carry backpacks on your back when you're on public transit). They have become popular with both men and women alike. There are also mini backpacks. Commuters have a variety of items that they like or have to carry with them to work, including meals, computer devices and even workout gear.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-25-2021)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that sling backpacks have grown increasingly popular with subway and train commuters, replacing the full backpacks (likely because you can't carry backpacks on your back when you're on public transit). They have become popular with both men and women alike. There are also mini backpacks. Commuters have a variety of items that they like or have to carry with them to work, including meals, computer devices and even workout gear.
    And many people with a traditional backpack use one strap on one shoulder, which isn't exactly good for you if there is weight in it. The cross strap is much better if you aren't going to use both straps.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-25-2021)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, most male designers of women's and often men's clothing are gay, so one has to wonder for whom they are designing. As an aside, I've seen some truly hideous outfits on the runway that look like the designer raided the Sally Ann for the worst looking dresses that they could find in plus sizes and then put them on size 4 models. The models end up looking like waifs in borrowed clothing.
    While this is true nowadays, I find that it makes little difference in practice. The purpose of women's clothing in general remains the same.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,654x in 2,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It's not a purse, it's a European carry all!!!"
    -J. Seinfeld

I do own a Skunk Bag that can be used as a "fanny pack" or slung over the shoulder...it is lined with carbon, double zippered, and velcro, plus there is a combination lock on it... I'd tell you what it's purpose is, but you never know who's reading this... although the brand name should give you a clue LOL
    Last edited by jigglepete; 04-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-25-2021)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this is true nowadays, I find that it makes little difference in practice. The purpose of women's clothing in general remains the same.
    I suspect that if you are going to successfully design clothing, you must determine your demographic. Certainly, most women say 20 to 50, are going to want clothing that is flattering, as it must be both attractive to potential or existing mates as well as fulfill their own aesthetic. Women could demand comfort but they don't. Men, on the other hand, in general, would not be so tolerant. Women only become more demanding when they reach a stage in life where comfort becomes the more important factor in their choices. There is almost a perversity in women's clothing choices, i.e. that if it is comfortable, it is ugly.

Mahatma Gandhi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also (to everyone), sorry if it seems like I don't have much input on actual fashions to offer here, like examples of handbags and clothing combos I like to show pics of and such. Every thread about fashion leaves me feeling like an awkward presence that way: Chloe's old one, this one, others. The truth is that my actual knowledge of like high fashion and all that is...limited. It's like how that kind of cosmopolitanism is regarded as a gay thing among men, but in reverse: among women, it's regarded as more of a straight thing. Lesbian culture is predominantly more naturalistic aesthetically and I guess I'm just oriented that same sort of way to a large extent. Like most lesbians don't even care half as much about whether her wife or girlfriend shaves her legs regularly.

I just know that I often find the $#@! in the women's departments to be less comfy and more revealing than I want them to be.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-25-2021 at 12:12 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-25-2021)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also (to everyone), sorry if it seems like I don't have much input on actual fashions to offer here, like examples of handbags and clothing combos I like to show pics of and such. Every thread about fashion leaves me feeling like an awkward presence that way: Chloe's old one, this one, others. The truth is that my actual knowledge of like high fashion and all that is...limited. It's like how that kind of cosmopolitanism is regarded as a gay thing among men, but in reverse: among women, it's regarded as more of a straight thing. Lesbian culture is predominantly more naturalistic aesthetically and I guess I'm just oriented that same sort of way to a large extent. Like most lesbians don't even care half as much about whether her wife or girlfriend shaves her legs regularly.

I just know that I often find the $#@! in the women's departments to be less comfy and more revealing than I want them to be.
    If you want an example of a woman who had a wonderful eye for clothing, but valued comfort above all else, check out pictures of Katherine Hepburn. The only time she wore skirts or dresses was in movies. Off the set, she always wore trousers, but they were well cut, attractive and made from fabrics that naturally draped well. Comfort and good design needn't be mutually exclusive concepts.

Mahatma Gandhi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread