User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is science racist?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The word race which derives from the Italian "razza" has been co-opted from its original sense as a description of people from a common origin or who share common characteristics. It was used as we now use the word ethnicity. The sense of the word only changed when it was deliberately applied in conjunction with flawed taxonomic theory in order to support colonial agendas. Despite the fact that the theory, particularly in respect of humans, has been scientifically disproven, we persist in using this misnomer as if it is biologically meaningful. The unfortunate result of this quack science was that the categorization of people by skin color, hence black, brown, red, white and yellow entered the lexicon as "races" of people. Centuries before, the French, English, Germans, Chinese etc were all referred to as races i.e. ethnicities regardless of their skin tone. This flawed theory permitted imperialist powers to discount the humanity of the peoples who they conquered often legally treating them as something closer to animals, making laws denying them the right to own land, have any say in government, restricting their education as well as how they could make a living and in some cases even enslaving them. This allowed these colonial powers to exploit the resources of these conquered territories with ethical impunity.

There is no question that the west benefited greatly from the stolen labor and bounty of their colonies. It created great wealth, which in turn help fuel the industrialization of the west. It would be a lie to suggest that the concept of "white" western superiority has entirely disappeared or that the legacy of colonialism in the Middle East, Africa, South America and South East Asia hasn't been military and political manipulation on the part of the west to ensure that the nations therein remain politically unstable, making access to their resources much cheaper. It is clear even in the patronizing fashion in which the nations in these lands are discussed by westerners.

CRT may have become lost in the weeds to the point where it has become toxic, but it does contain some fundamental truths.

The word race which derives from the Italian "razza" has been co-opted from its original sense as a description of people from a common origin or who share common characteristics.
    Right, you can read Edmund Burke speaking of the Irish race.

It wasn't until Galton's ideas were adopted by Progressive Era eugenics that it became associated with skin color.

CRT may have become lost in the weeds to the point where it has become toxic, but it does contain some fundamental truths.
    CRT has gone through two phases. The first phase was neoMarxist, materialist, and aligned with the civil rights movement that sought equality and judgment of a man by his character and not his skin color. The second phase started in the 80-90s and this is the postmodernist movement that rejects any form of objective truth, thereby unable in its contradictions to "contain some fundamental truths", and is anti-liberal, which is odd when you think of the Democratic Party's embrace of it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-28-2021),pjohns (04-28-2021)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I don't think that I defended it, I think I explained it. I understand the rationality behind it, even if I don't agree with it.
    You misspelled irrationality. I don't think you would defend it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (04-28-2021),pjohns (04-28-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I don't think that I defended it, I think I explained it. I understand the rationality behind it, even if I don't agree with it.
    Ah, maybe it was a more tolerant stance toward it that I remember. This gives the state license to find racism virtually anywhere it looks for it...and penalize businesses for it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-28-2021),pjohns (04-28-2021)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Ah, maybe it was a more tolerant stance toward it that I remember. This gives the state license to find racism virtually anywhere it looks for it...and penalize businesses for it.
    That to me is the real issue. Critical Theory is whacky and self-destructive and will fade away like any fad. As such, "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." The problem is the Democrats embracing it and enforcing it on us.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

pjohns (04-28-2021)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,226x in 2,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    Just look at the way they twist science over COVID.

Yes more minorities are effected but it has specific causes that have nothing to do with race or even poverty.
    Yes. It is typically due to co-morbidities, which disproportionately affect black people.

This is probably due to the fact that black people are less likely to see a doctor regularly; and that may be due to a lack of healthcare insurance.

But just why is that white people's fault, anyway?

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    murdock's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 592x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turd eating leftists already proved to the world math was not racist when they made the movie "Stand and Deliver."

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    Yes. It is typically due to co-morbidities, which disproportionately affect black people.

This is probably due to the fact that black people are less likely to see a doctor regularly; and that may be due to a lack of healthcare insurance.

But just why is that white people's fault, anyway?
    There might also be a genetic component.

Race-related differences in genetic determinants of COVID-19 severity (news-medical.net)
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread