User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biden administration bans menthol cigarettes.....

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biden administration bans menthol cigarettes.....

"Banning menthol—the last allowable flavor—in cigarettes and banning all flavors in cigars will help save lives, particularly among those disproportionately affected by these deadly products. With these actions, the FDA will help significantly reduce youth initiation, increase the chances of smoking cessation among current smokers, and address health disparities experienced by communities of color, low-income populations, and LGBTQ+ individuals, all of whom are far more likely to use these tobacco products," Acting Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Janet Wood$#@!, M.D., said in a statement.

Wood$#@! expressed the hope and belief that these bans would "launch us on a trajectory toward ending tobacco-related disease and death in the U.S."

The FDA pointed to studies suggesting that a menthol ban would help people quit smoking, noting that menthol makes tobacco more palatable and "facilitates progression to regular smoking, particularly among youth and young adults."

Public health organizations like the American Medical Association also favor the move to ban menthols for the same reasons cited by the FDA, the data showing their disproportionate impact on the health of racial minorities and young people.

In total, approximately 20 million Americans smoke menthols, according to the FDA......snip~

Biden administration bans menthol cigarettes (msn.com)

Uh oh.....Joe just got a whole bunch of minorities upset. Someone must have forgot to tell him that the Demos luv to increases taxes on Cigarettes. That it will cost them a whole lot of money, huh?
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (04-29-2021)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biden’s Unfair Menthol Ban Is Bad For Black Smokers.....

The Biden administration is taking aim at menthol cigarettes. Under a new proposal, the minty tobacco product could be outright banned by the federal government. Not all cigarettes, mind you, although there is talk along those lines too, just menthols. The plan isn’t just wrongheaded, it’s dangerous and deeply unfair as well. Also, like so much of Biden’s backwards agenda, it places needless emphasis on race.

So why ban menthols and only menthols? It is because they are the type of cigarette most favored by black smokers. This is a ham-fisted attempt at equity that not only doesn’t create equity but has the potential to harm black smokers more than their white counterparts, who tend to be less likely to smoke Kools or Newports.

By banning the sale of menthols nationwide, Biden would be inviting not just a black market, but a new and deadly black market our country has thus far avoided. As it stands now, the vast majority of cigarette smuggling in the United States is from low tobacco tax states to high tobacco tax states. There is very little international bootlegging into our country because there is no need for it. This menthol move will change that dramatically.

With menthols flat-out banned, bootleggers and the black market will have to look overseas, mostly to China for their supplies. This is a crippling problem in much of Europe and in Australia that we have thus far avoided.

White smokers, Biden seems to think, should be free to make their own decisions about sucking down a Marlboro Light, either because they are better able to handle that choice, or because they are on some level disposable. Black smokers, on the other hand, must be protected by the government from their own bad choices. The proposal limits Americans’ choices on a racial basis, but of course Biden thinks he is doing it for black people’s own good.

Even the American Civil Liberties Union has objected to a racialized approach to smoking. The group opposed a House bill in 2020 that sought to ban menthols on the very basis of its disproportionate impact on black Americans. They also oppose this ban. Encouraging the black community in particular to engage in an illegal cigarette marketplace will only increase dangerous police interactions, the very thing progressives claim they wish to make less common.

This is just another example of a race-based leftist policy destined to go hopelessly awry to the detriment of black Americans. Just as defund the police efforts have led to skyrocketing crime rates in black communities across our country, which is why black voters overwhelmingly oppose the idea, banning menthols will introduce dangerous fake cigarettes and needless police interactions.

Biden should know better, and there was likely a time he did. Now he just parrots critical race theory mantras instead of even trying to engage rationally on race-based questions in our country. Everybody will lose if this nonsense is enacted......snip~

Biden’s Unfair Menthol Ban Is Bad For Black Smokers (thefederalist.com)

This will cost Joe and the Demos the loss of voters.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Salem-smoking mother is spinning in her grave. I remember going to the store when I was a teenager, ca. 1970, and buying her a carton of Salems for $3.10. Lord knows how many packs a day she went through. It's hard for me to picture her without a cigarette in her hand.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (04-29-2021),MMC (04-29-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joe biden is a racist, targeting African American smokers choice of cigarettes. What next? Colt 45 Malt Liquor? Garlic boiled crabs?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-29-2021)

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,527
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,996x in 18,678 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More racism, from the most racist people on the planet.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    joe biden is a racist, targeting African American smokers choice of cigarettes. What next? Colt 45 Malt Liquor? Garlic boiled crabs?
    Cadillacs?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    My Salem-smoking mother is spinning in her grave. I remember going to the store when I was a teenager, ca. 1970, and buying her a carton of Salems for $3.10. Lord knows how many packs a day she went through. It's hard for me to picture her without a cigarette in her hand.
    My mother and father both smoked unfiltered Pall Mall's, about a pack a day. Both started in their teens, both died at the age of 61 from respiratory ailments. My sister and brother smoked heavily and both died at the age of 44, my sister from cancer of the breast, brain and bone and my brother from liver issues stemming from alcohol abuse, probably exacerbated by their cigarette smoking. I just lost another brother last Friday, age 61, also a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker. I was a pack a day Viceroy smoker ("The Thinking Man's cigarette" just to show how stupid I actually was). I quit 42 years ago when they went up to 50 cents a pack, that and the fact I almost burned my month old son with a cigarette while holding him.

Cigarettes are a health hazard but banning them is a loss of freedom hazard and I don't know which is worse. Health insurance companies could elect not to cover smokers (and many don't or charge higher rates) but this should never be a non smoking "regulation". We are allowing the government to become "In Loco Parentis" and treat us all like tender age children

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (04-29-2021),MMC (04-29-2021),Peter1469 (04-29-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Cadillacs?
    Wait a minute, not all Cadillacs, just the Escalade with gold rims. I had a 2001 Cadillac. I called it my Y1K car - Why was everything $1000.00 to repair?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-29-2021)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute, not all Cadillacs, just the Escalade with gold rims. I had a 2001 Cadillac. I called it my Y1K car - Why was everything $1000.00 to repair?
    I just had a buddy of mine call and asked if I wanted to go in on a Couple cases of cartons. Kools and Newports. Cigs here are like 13 to 15 dollars a pack. He is like I will be able to get 25-30 dollars a pack.

Says for every pack he sells. He is going to tell them. You wont be voting Democrat again, huh?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My mother and father both smoked unfiltered Pall Mall's, about a pack a day. Both started in their teens, both died at the age of 61 from respiratory ailments. My sister and brother smoked heavily and both died at the age of 44, my sister from cancer of the breast, brain and bone and my brother from liver issues stemming from alcohol abuse, probably exacerbated by their cigarette smoking. I just lost another brother last Friday, age 61, also a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker. I was a pack a day Viceroy smoker ("The Thinking Man's cigarette" just to show how stupid I actually was). I quit 42 years ago when they went up to 50 cents a pack, that and the fact I almost burned my month old son with a cigarette while holding him.

Cigarettes are a health hazard but banning them is a loss of freedom hazard and I don't know which is worse. Health insurance companies could elect not to cover smokers (and many don't or charge higher rates) but this should never be a non smoking "regulation". We are allowing the government to become "In Loco Parentis" and treat us all like tender age children
    I'm convinced that if cigarettes had never been invented and someone today came out and suggested that people should set fire to little paper tubes filled with crumbled up leaves and chemicals and suck the smoke into their lungs, they would be a laughing stock at the very least. If you look at the practice divorced from its history in our culture and society, its just a damn weird thing to do.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

+ Reply to Thread