Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,071x in 1,730 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Slavery still exists in this county. They just dress it up and refer to it as "Public Accommodation".
    Why did you make such an obtuse statement?
    Make everything from toy guns that spark, to flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark. It’s easy to see without looking too far, that not much is really sacred.
    Thomas Jefferson (to Richard Price) January 8. 1789 "...wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government..."

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,173
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    So is taxation.
    So, how should we pay for our military and protective services? And will you carry your own garbage to the dumps?
    Make everything from toy guns that spark, to flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark. It’s easy to see without looking too far, that not much is really sacred.
    Thomas Jefferson (to Richard Price) January 8. 1789 "...wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government..."

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 57,364x in 40,733 Posts
    Mentioned
    1805 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    So, how should we pay for our military and protective services? And will you carry your own garbage to the dumps?
    If I get something in return, it's not taxation but exchange.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (05-02-2021),stjames1_53 (05-10-2021)

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,062x in 11,065 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you make such an obtuse statement?
    You should stop using words you do not understand.
    "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up." - Barack Obama

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-10-2021)

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 9,573 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    New Jersey did not really abolish slavery until 1866. There were slaves living in NJ at the end of the war. Just a historical tidbit.

It's also highly questionable what role slavery played in wealth creation. Slavery retarded economic development to a significant extent. The very different outcomes of the Latin American slave holdings states (e.g. Brazil, Cuba, Venezuela) compared to the US testify to it.
    Yes, and border states had slaves a while longer as well, although today's wokesters like to pretend the Emancipation Proclamation ended slavery in the entire nation.
    "What happens is of little significance compared with the stories we tell ourselves about what happens. Events matter little, only stories of events
    affect us.”

~Rabih Alameddin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-10-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    LYSANDER SPOONER - NO TREASON - 1867

On the part of the North, the war was carried on, not to liberate the slaves, but by a government that had always perverted and violated the Constitution, to keep the slaves in bondage; and was still willing to do so, if the slaveholders could be thereby induced to stay in the Union.
    Yes, and that's an inconvenient fact for the wokesters. Lincoln reiterated that sentiment in his Letter to Horace Greeley.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause.
    It's quite clear what Lincoln meant. He was able to keep the Union together by freeing the slaves, but freeing the slaves was not his main goal.

The other interesting thing is that slavery was already dying in the South when the Confederacy seceded. It wasn't going to last much longer.
    "What happens is of little significance compared with the stories we tell ourselves about what happens. Events matter little, only stories of events
    affect us.”

~Rabih Alameddin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-10-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, when did you learn that slavery was older than the US; just now? or had you forgotten?

If there are things that you don't like about CRT or the 1619 project, why don't you go after those issues?
    I just did.

THIS country ended slavery in just 89 years: one healthy person's life time. The fight was not against slavery perse, but industry. THAT was why slavery as allowed under our constitution and lasted as long as it did prior to DOI.
    The people saying that we invented it are stupid and not very well informed and they're trying to spin the issue for educational expediency. They are right that it never should have existed under our ideal.

The problem is that CRT seeks to divide Americans by painting a false picture. CRT seeks to divide us by race and to do so, they're falsifying the historical record. The 1619 project has already been called out as bogus by historians but some are still hyping it, just as they are hyping CRT.

Our nation deserves recognition for freeing slaves--no one alive today has owned a slave nor been a slave. No one alive today owes anything to anyone for those who owned slaves a century and a half ago.

That's what this thread is about. Too bad it went over your head.
    affect us.”

~Rabih Alameddin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

MMC (05-03-2021),Peter1469 (05-02-2021),stjames1_53 (05-10-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    You should stop using words you do not understand.
    You understand the word stupid don’t you?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 33,047x in 23,467 Posts
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You understand the word stupid don’t you?
    Yes.....he see you here everyday.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Cletus (05-02-2021),stjames1_53 (05-10-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I just did.

The problem is that CRT seeks to divide Americans by painting a false picture. CRT seeks to divide us by race and to do so, they're falsifying the historical record. The 1619 project has already been called out as bogus by historians but some are still hyping it, just as they are hyping CRT.

Our nation deserves recognition for freeing slaves--no one alive today has owned a slave nor been a slave. No one alive today owes anything to anyone for those who owned slaves a century and a half ago.

That's what this thread is about. Too bad it went over your head.
    No you didn't, you used a broad brush. Anybody can use a broad brush. A broad brush means that you don't understand the subject in enough detail to discuss it credibly. Our nation HAS been recognized for freeing slaves. We've also been recognized for defending slavery and talking out of both sides of our mouths over the rights granted under our Constitution or the equality of man under our Declaration of Independence.

And when did I say that I agree with reparations? Nobody alive today had slaves or were slaves. Reparations says "you owe us"; no we don't owe you anything. Or how about black America going on a campaign to THANK all those white people who fought and died to free you? Or marched with MLK, or BLM? Or how about thanking all those white people who literally invented a system wherein you could claim civil rights? Where's THAT recognition?

You see Finder? I understand both sides of the issue extremely well.

Blacks in this country, like women and gays, are still trying to achieve equal status so that the issues of the past are no longer issues we have to deal with. The longer those issues are denied (by the right) and denied through actions (like voter suppression and violent policing), the longer it takes to put the past in it's proper place and get on with what we really have.

+ Reply to Thread