User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should people have to address work topics vs political topics at work?

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    If I found out @Leanne was among those who took a buyout, somehow, I would not be surprised.

That said, politics and work don't mix. They never have, and a wise worker keep his or her mouth shut.
    Exactly.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Thinking that someone else's business is your political podium is a mistake. Political harassment has the same effect as sexual harassment in the workplace.

Yet because idealogy is not directly protected it matters much, much less. These movements never seem to get that the problem is the harrassment NOT the reason the harrasser is doing it. Much like "hate crime" the crime here is the punch/kick/shot not the why of it. Protect us all from harrassment in the work place regardless of the reason the harrsser gives you. Seems simple but instead
    Groups merely want to be protected from harrassment while still being able to bad mouth/harrass or discriminate against others.
    Another hidden real issue behing the given issue.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not fully read the article I posted. The real story here is the whine about a policy that seems like business as usual to most of us . The below quote is just one example.

Tech journalist
    Casey Newton said about one-third of the company’s roughly 60 employees took buyouts shortly after, with one fuming: “Basically the company has said, ‘well, your opinions don’t really matter — unless it’s directly related to business…’ A lot of people are gonna have a tough time living with that.”

But , but your opinions really don't matter if they don't pertain to work. Who the hell told you differently? I can see maybe needing to be reminded of this esapecially in these times but once reminded the proper answer is some form of "OK, makes sense"
    Apparently the company collects weird customer names for laughs. Odd but so what. Soem of them were not over pronouniation or anything but more along the lines of the joke name "Ima, I'm a Horrr" LOL So new employees took offense and got everyone worked up . Get this. People who had participated in the name thing complained!

There is an effort on SM to find those who left Base Camp "places where they can exist" Nobody threatened their exisitance. This is nuts even by Milenial standards

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Should we start that rule here?

THERE SHALL BE NO DISCUSSIONS RELATED TO POLITICS, RELIGION AND SEX AT TPF
    What doe "tPF" stand for?

My wife, friends and customers all thank you for letting me sound off here.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Apparently a software company called Base Camp nicely pointed out that employees need to focus on work not social change on paid company time. In any other time in history this would have been understood, probably without the company pointing it out.
    But as you can see from the article below employees left the company on a buyout, like 1 out of 3 of them! Apparently they were concerned that their opinion didn't matter unless it was work related. LOL. Yup that's how it goes.
    Thoughts?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/one-t...urce=housefile
    It seems that young people or some young people don't understand that they are not being paid to just to show up and then do as they please on company time and on company channels. Time spent on non-work related topics is theft of wages. Most companies do not begrudge anyone occasional banter, but no company wants their employees wasting vast amounts of company time on anything that is not related to the work that they were hired to do. Employees are free to come up with suggestions on their own time and submit it to management for consideration. If they have specific issues that are affecting their ability to work, they are also free to bring them to management. They are not free to decide on behalf of management what changes need to be made or how to implement any such changes, or practices, nor do they have any right to such expectations unless that is what they were hired to do.

I think this unrealistic way of thinking is the result of the kind of upbringing where parents constantly negotiate with their children rather than telling them what to do and why they should do it.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-05-2021)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,495x in 2,836 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It seems that young people or some young people don't understand that they are not being paid to just to show up and then do as they please on company time and on company channels. Time spent on non-work related topics is theft of wages. Most companies do not begrudge anyone occasional banter, but no company wants their employees wasting vast amounts of company time on anything that is not related to the work that they were hired to do. Employees are free to come up with suggestions on their own time and submit it to management for consideration. If they have specific issues that are affecting their ability to work, they are also free to bring them to management. They are not free to decide on behalf of management what changes need to be made or how to implement any such changes, or practices, nor do they have any right to such expectations unless that is what they were hired to do.

I think this unrealistic way of thinking is the result of the kind of upbringing where parents constantly negotiate with their children rather than telling them what to do and why they should do it.
    Ahhhh. Helicopter parents. They’ve done a disservice to their kids.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-04-2021)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    What doe "tPF" stand for? ....
    What I want to know is, why is the "t" always in lower case? The "The" in "The Political Forum" is capitalized, just like the other two words are. So why do people always refer to the forum as "tPF"?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Apparently a software company called Base Camp nicely pointed out that employees need to focus on work not social change on paid company time. In any other time in history this would have been understood, probably without the company pointing it out.
    But as you can see from the article below employees left the company on a buyout, like 1 out of 3 of them! Apparently they were concerned that their opinion didn't matter unless it was work related. LOL. Yup that's how it goes.
    Thoughts?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/one-t...urce=housefile
    Yeah, I heard that story today. It's pretty bad, but I think you can get the point: it'll never work (haha).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-05-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    What I want to know is, why is the "t" always in lower case? The "The" in "The Political Forum" is capitalized, just like the other two words are. So why do people always refer to the forum as "tPF"?
    Its sort of like that Twizzler's commerical where the guy says "There is always something I wanted to know. Why can't I wear white after Labor Day". Eat a twizzler, maybe it will bring understanding!

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, I heard that story today. It's pretty bad, but I think you can get the point: it'll never work (haha).
    What won't work? The idea that work is work and political opinions do not improve the work environment or the quality of the product?

+ Reply to Thread