User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Critical thinking

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Intersectionality merely means (in a social sense) the intersection of interests, particularly in terms of social justice. Colorism, racism, sexism and genderism exist. These are topics that can be inherently subjective because they are experiential. You cannot say that any discussion or article about these topics must be the antithesis of critical thinking simply because there is an element of subjectivity. All observations and experiences are subjective. If you tell me that you have a headache, I'm not going to dismiss that on the basis that it's a subjective evaluation or demand that you prove your headache. The entire science of psychology is based on the analysis of subjective issues.

Absolutism is the enemy of critical thinking.

Intersectionality, like systemic racism, is not experiential.

You really need to stop rationalizing defenses of CRT.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-10-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There were a couple articles on Newsweek this morning that made a very interesting point. CRT and its associated concepts are much more appealing to white progressives than they are to anyone else. Blacks, for example, were just as likely to respond favorably to class oriented rhetoric. I suspected that but it was interesting to see some data on the topic.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Intersectionality, like systemic racism, is not experiential.

You really need to stop rationalizing defenses of CRT.
    You are missing the point here. I am not defending CRT, I am suggesting that you don't have to agree with a topic or premise in order to make a cogent argument nor does your disagreement with that topic or premise mean that you can't evaluate whether someone else is making a cogent argument. In fact, in learning debating skills or critical writing skills, you can be assigned to defend a position with which you vehemently disagree as an exercise. You are rejecting this article based on your own prejudice alone and not based on whether it was argued well. If you were asked to defend CRT while employing critical thinking, could you do it?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    There were a couple articles on Newsweek this morning that made a very interesting point. CRT and its associated concepts are much more appealing to white progressives than they are to anyone else. Blacks, for example, were just as likely to respond favorably to class oriented rhetoric. I suspected that but it was interesting to see some data on the topic.
    Newsweek does put out some interesting articles lately. I might give them my email address to read a few free. Two recent ones: Black People Are Far More Powerful Than Critical Race Theory Preaches, Woke Racism Is a Systemic Problem in America.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You are missing the point here. I am not defending CRT, I am suggesting that you don't have to agree with a topic or premise in order to make a cogent argument nor does your disagreement with that topic or premise mean that you can't evaluate whether someone else is making a cogent argument. In fact, in learning debating skills or critical writing skills, you can be assigned to defend a position with which you vehemently disagree as an exercise. You are rejecting this article based on your own prejudice alone and not based on whether it was argued well. If you were asked to defend CRT while employing critical thinking, could you do it?
    I am not nor ever was interested in Crenshaw's topic, only her rhetoric, which is based in Critical Theory and not on critical thinking.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Newsweek does put out some interesting articles lately. I might give them my email address to read a few free. Two recent ones: Black People Are Far More Powerful Than Critical Race Theory Preaches, Woke Racism Is a Systemic Problem in America.
    The latter article is the one I was referring to. Thanks for finding it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not nor ever was interested in Crenshaw's topic, only her rhetoric, which is based in Critical Theory and not on critical thinking.
    IOW, you can't or won't answer my question OR you don't think that you could successfully meet such a challenge. That's fine. I won't press the issue.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chris's posting style is the very antithesis of critical thinking. You caught that very well.

+ Reply to Thread