User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Race to Weaponize NIL Is On As College Football Programs Acknowledge Reality

Hybrid View

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The Race to Weaponize NIL Is On As College Football Programs Acknowledge Reality

The Race to Weaponize NIL Is On As College Football Programs Acknowledge Reality

122609_h.jpg

This isn't some kind of paternalistic "aw gee buddy, maybe don't blow your life savings on Dogecoin and GameStop stock" warning (although yeah, don't do those things). It's more of an acknowledgement that as Name, Image, and Likeness monetization becomes more likely, college athletes (and especially recruits) should be wary about the bill of goods they're being sold. Or, more accurately, how they're being told they can sell their goods and what kind of bill they might incur along the way.

I do have to give some of these schools credit for the level of effort they're putting into weaponizing NIL. We've reported on some of the things that Ohio State football is currently doing to entice recruits to the Buckeye state, but much of that is along the lines of a winking "oh, you'll see!" kind of message with emoji eyes looking at stats about television markets and social media interactions. Which is fine, I guess, but also a few laps behind Alabama, which just put out this:

https://rolltide.com/news/2021/5/4/g...advantage.aspx

The_Advantage.jpg
    THE ADVANTAGE (which I'm going to put in all caps, because all caps means money) makes no bones about the idea that the University of Alabama is going to put money in your pocket by helping you build your personal brand of cool $#@!.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/colle...wledge-reality

Name, Image and Likeness and Personal Branding Already Becoming a Recruiting Pitch for Ohio State, Recently with Las Vegas Safety Zion Branch

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-recently-with

113886_h.jpg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-23-2021),donttread (05-23-2021)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,514x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    The Race to Weaponize NIL Is On As College Football Programs Acknowledge Reality

Attachment 38089

This isn't some kind of paternalistic "aw gee buddy, maybe don't blow your life savings on Dogecoin and GameStop stock" warning (although yeah, don't do those things). It's more of an acknowledgement that as Name, Image, and Likeness monetization becomes more likely, college athletes (and especially recruits) should be wary about the bill of goods they're being sold. Or, more accurately, how they're being told they can sell their goods and what kind of bill they might incur along the way.

I do have to give some of these schools credit for the level of effort they're putting into weaponizing NIL. We've reported on some of the things that Ohio State football is currently doing to entice recruits to the Buckeye state, but much of that is along the lines of a winking "oh, you'll see!" kind of message with emoji eyes looking at stats about television markets and social media interactions. Which is fine, I guess, but also a few laps behind Alabama, which just put out this:

https://rolltide.com/news/2021/5/4/g...advantage.aspx

Attachment 38091
    THE ADVANTAGE (which I'm going to put in all caps, because all caps means money) makes no bones about the idea that the University of Alabama is going to put money in your pocket by helping you build your personal brand of cool $#@!.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/colle...wledge-reality

Name, Image and Likeness and Personal Branding Already Becoming a Recruiting Pitch for Ohio State, Recently with Las Vegas Safety Zion Branch

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-recently-with

Attachment 38090

I'm old school and believe in the old amateur standards for college atheletes and for that matter Olympians. I wonder if I'm alone in those anciet beleifs? Or in my belief that football and basketball need another legimate pathway to the pros like baseball and hockey. Let colleges be more about academics and school pride. I know this must sound like blasphomey but the kids and their families , the alums and the town can get just as involved with painted faces and all but less national attention and more college. Thoughts?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (05-23-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,494
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,542x in 17,982 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting shoved through college without a proper education is old school it would seem. Now you need to branded and marketed ASAP!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-24-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,962x in 55,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It won’t be long until they ruin college football.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,908
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,650x in 28,240 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to think this will not be as extensive as anyone thinks.

Alabama averages about 5 players that make it to the NFL every year through the draft. The means at the biggest football program in the USA they may have 6 marketable players maximum. So the best they may hope for is a local commercial saying "I bought my car at Bama Ford". A basketball program may have 2 players at a time and that is about the extent of it.

I think the bigger risk is alumni being able to hide free gifts under the new rules to recruit players and then the NCAA taking action against the player.

Maybe the hot girl volleyball player will end up making the most.

Cheerleaders next?

+ Reply to Thread