User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The weird, lingering life ​of post-breakup objects...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,624x in 25,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post The weird, lingering life ​of post-breakup objects...

The weird, lingering life of post-breakup objects...

head explode.gif

Exiting a relationship leaves you with two kinds of junk: the things you can hold in your hands, and the things you can't. Emotional purging takes time, takes work. But we're living in a cultural moment that asks us to winnow down our physical belongings, too. Those of us who live in big cities face tiny apartments with closets that can barely hold our winter coats, let alone the winters of all our discontents. A partial exhibit of what gets left behind:
    • Two wine glasses, a broken wristwatch, and a nice silver pen, which I left in a shoebox at the curb. They disappeared that same afternoon.
    • A silver infinity knot ring that I had to stop wearing because it turned my finger green.
    • Books, many. (I always keep the books.)
    • The "Jem & the Holograms" T-shirt I'd been wearing in the first photograph ever taken of us, in our freshman dorm before an '80s-themed party.
    • A rough clay mug the color of smoke, hand-thrown by his sister.
    mcms.php.jpg

b4d4942cbcc16aabfe889c384d27a11f.jpg

ax.jpg

Devito Explo.gif

https://www.racked.com/2016/3/3/1113...reak-ups-gifts
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

countryboy (05-19-2021),US Conservative (05-18-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like this one lol

"A rough clay mug the color of smoke, hand-thrown by his sister."
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

US Conservative (05-17-2021)

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    US Conservative's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,445x in 2,856 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-17-2021)

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    US Conservative's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,445x in 2,856 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One time I saw a new truck with "Whats her name?" Scratched into the sides and rear.

Seems like it would fit in that museum.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-18-2021)

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Manny Decker's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 290x in 196 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my wife walked she took everything she wanted whilst I was at work, I came home and read the walk out note she had left and I calmly drank a cup of tea.

I got up and slowly looked at what she left behind of hers in the house;
    The family photo albums of our children, the oil paintings, her fathers sketches, water colour scenes, her vast collection of knitting patterns/crochet. Then I went into the kitchen, she left her supermarket stamp book with over £200 in it. The Gods were smiling on me.

The first few years after the divorce my eldest son would ask if he could borrow the photo albums, his mother asked and she wanted to make copies, of course i as more than happy to do that the next time I went into the loft I’d bring them down. After a 5-6 years he stopped asking.

My eldest son also asked if his mother could have her father oil paintings, sketches and water colour pictures, to which i answered this time the truth “no I consider them mine, your mother didn’t take them when she left, after all this time they are mine”

Cold hearted of me?

I consider I behaved rather well don’t you?
    RIP Wes

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manny Decker For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-18-2021),NoisyBoy (05-21-2021)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,263
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Decker View Post
    When my wife walked she took everything she wanted whilst I was at work, I came home and read the walk out note she had left and I calmly drank a cup of tea.

The family photo albums of our children, the oil paintings, her fathers sketches, water colour scenes, her vast collection of knitting patterns/crochet. Then I went into the kitchen, she left her supermarket stamp book with over £200 in it. The Gods were smiling on me.

The first few years after the divorce my eldest son would ask if he could borrow the photo albums, his mother asked and she wanted to make copies, of course i as more than happy to do that the next time I went into the loft I’d bring them down. After a 5-6 years he stopped asking.

My eldest son also asked if his mother could have her father oil paintings, sketches and water colour pictures, to which i answered this time the truth “no I consider them mine, your mother didn’t take them when she left, after all this time they are mine”

Cold hearted of me?

I guess it would depend on why she left. It would seem that she was in a hurry, in order to leave behind such sentimental items.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Decker View Post

Cold hearted of me?

I don't know if you behaved well. Some people are so entrenched in the idea that the other person in a relationship somehow belongs to them, that they find small ways to poke and prod the other long after the relationship is over.

I'm sorry your relationship ended, and I don't know why she left--perhaps she had an affair? That would make the spouse left behind very angry.

But, in my view, you can't move forward if you're still clinging to the past. I'd bundle up the albums (or copies of them), her father's sketches, and anything else that has more meaning to her than to you. I'd tell your son to give it to his mother.

Then, I'd forget about her. Literally. She's part of your past. Keeping those things from her--just my armchair opinion--may be emotionally keeping you from living the happy life you deserve.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-20-2021)

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,807x in 13,697 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    The weird, lingering life of post-breakup objects...

Attachment 38474

Exiting a relationship leaves you with two kinds of junk: the things you can hold in your hands, and the things you can't. Emotional purging takes time, takes work. But we're living in a cultural moment that asks us to winnow down our physical belongings, too. Those of us who live in big cities face tiny apartments with closets that can barely hold our winter coats, let alone the winters of all our discontents. A partial exhibit of what gets left behind:
    • Two wine glasses, a broken wristwatch, and a nice silver pen, which I left in a shoebox at the curb. They disappeared that same afternoon.
    • A silver infinity knot ring that I had to stop wearing because it turned my finger green.
    • Books, many. (I always keep the books.)
    • The "Jem & the Holograms" T-shirt I'd been wearing in the first photograph ever taken of us, in our freshman dorm before an '80s-themed party.
    • A rough clay mug the color of smoke, hand-thrown by his sister.
    Attachment 38470

Attachment 38471

Attachment 38472

Attachment 38473

https://www.racked.com/2016/3/3/1113...reak-ups-gifts
    Hahaha, great line.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I don't know if you behaved well. Some people are so entrenched in the idea that the other person in a relationship somehow belongs to them, that they find small ways to poke and prod the other long after the relationship is over.

I'm sorry your relationship ended, and I don't know why she left--perhaps she had an affair? That would make the spouse left behind very angry.

But, in my view, you can't move forward if you're still clinging to the past. I'd bundle up the albums (or copies of them), her father's sketches, and anything else that has more meaning to her than to you. I'd tell your son to give it to his mother.

Then, I'd forget about her. Literally. She's part of your past. Keeping those things from her--just my armchair opinion--may be emotionally keeping you from living the happy life you deserve.
    Everything is bundle up in black plastic bin liners and carefully stored in the loft.

Yeah, she met someone else whilst I was away working, since then I’ve moved on, remarried and got on with my life.

We get on fine, I’m not a guy that wants payback, she gets on with her life and I do mine. My sons are happy we get on well. She is the mother of my children, how can I show my sons how not to behave, I’m the bigger person.
    RIP Wes

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manny Decker For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-20-2021),Peter1469 (05-20-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I guess it would depend on why she left. It would seem that she was in a hurry, in order to leave behind such sentimental items.
    My friends wife told me very much later on that she knew what was going on behind my back, but how can you tell someone that a wife was having an affair, for all she knew if she’d told me I could quite possibly cut my wife’s head off and stuck it in a freezer?
    RIP Wes

+ Reply to Thread