User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inside Chipotle’s two-year process of reinventing its queso...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,047x in 24,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Inside Chipotle’s two-year process of reinventing its queso...

Inside Chipotle’s two-year process of reinventing its queso... It involved a lot of tasting and chemistry to get the creaminess just right.

ezgif-7-16245152fe1b.jpg

Some restaurant chains burn through new menu items at a fevered pace. The never-ending parade of novelty offerings—right now, KFC will sell you a fried chicken sandwich between two donuts—and splashy limited-time offers entice customers with variety. For some fast casual restaurants like Five Guys and Chipotle, however, the menu’s consistency is part of the draw. Practiced Chipotle patrons recite their order with the rhythm and efficiency that only comes from repetition. It builds loyalty, but it also makes changing the menu a monumental challenge if the company wants to avoid public blow back.

ezgif-7-edc45fb1ae61.jpg

Just last week, the company made the national switch over to its new Queso Blanco. It’s Chipotle’s third official attempt to create a creamy cheese sauce; the makeover process began when Nevielle Panthaky took over as vice president of culinary and menu development roughly two years ago. “When I started with the organization, I was asked what I thought about the queso,” Panthaky tells me over the phone. “As a consumer, a culinarian, and someone who has been in the industry for a long time, I felt it had opportunity.” The previous version, which the company called Original Queso included roughly 23 different ingredients and had a grainy texture after it cooled down on the drive home. It was a result of the company’s efforts to avoid emulsifying agents like sodium hexametaphosphate and maltodextrine, which don’t have proven negative health effects but don’t fit the company’s general efforts to emphasize fresh foods.

queso.jpg

QuesoBlanco-Landing-OrderNOW-MOBILE-Tweets-2.gif

QuesoBlanco-Landing-OrderNOW-MOBILE-Watch.jpg

https://www.popsci.com/story/technol...nco-chemistry/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Chipotle, but don't get the chips and dip.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread