Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The great depression cooking

Some days back a friend shared a YouTube channel with me which I absolutely love. The channel features Clara a grandmother who shares her stories and recipes from the Great Depression. She has since passed away, but leaves behind a wonderful archive. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRK...qU-uK2csT6FOKw I really like her humor.

I guess in a way our elders were the ultimate preppers. Here is another cool link, that discusses survival during the great depression.
    https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farmin...ral%20America.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-27-2021),FindersKeepers (05-27-2021),MisterVeritis (05-27-2021),Peter1469 (05-27-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (05-27-2021)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,381x in 94,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People had much more survival knowledge back then.

The reason that the EMP Commission concluded that up to 90% of the US population would die within a year after a major EMP event (natural or manmade)- modern Americans are almost completely depended on our modern infrastructure.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-27-2021),Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (05-27-2021)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    People had much more survival knowledge back then.

The reason that the EMP Commission concluded that up to 90% of the US population would die within a year after a major EMP event (natural or manmade)- modern Americans are almost completely depended on our modern infrastructure.
    It's a good thing Bill Gates didn't know about this.... Lol. All joking aside, it's true, people are so dependent on technology, and being able to buy what they need at the store. Most would probably die of starvation even if they had an entire seed vault at their disposal.

I am dependent too, and I know it. But I think if it came down to it, I could go into survival mode. Gosh I love my hot water kettle and warm cozy house. But, luckily I grew up in a family that grew gardens every summer, and made a lot of food from scratch. I think that helps, some of that knowledge from the past has been instilled in me.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-27-2021),Peter1469 (05-27-2021)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    It's a good thing Bill Gates didn't know about this.... Lol. All joking aside, it's true, people are so dependent on technology, and being able to buy what they need at the store. Most would probably die of starvation even if they had an entire seed vault at their disposal.

I am dependent too, and I know it. But I think if it came down to it, I could go into survival mode. Gosh I love my hot water kettle and warm cozy house. But, luckily I grew up in a family that grew gardens every summer, and made a lot of food from scratch. I think that helps, some of that knowledge from the past has been instilled in me.
    If I didn't freeze to death (I live in the north), then I am familiar with a number of edible wild plants, as well as wild fruit, know how to make a fire without a lighter or matches, and I'm pretty sure that hunger would get me over my aversion to hunting. I certainly can grow plants from seed - I've grown some vegetables over the years and we always had a garden when I was growing up. I'm learning to bake bread of late. I never bothered before, but I'm determined to develop that skill. You never know when it might be necessary. If I move out to the country, I intend to get a book on edible mushrooms and other edible plants.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-27-2021),Cotton1 (05-27-2021),FindersKeepers (05-27-2021),Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2021),Peter1469 (05-27-2021)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    If I didn't freeze to death (I live in the north), then I am familiar with a number of edible wild plants, as well as wild fruit, know how to make a fire without a lighter or matches, and I'm pretty sure that hunger would get me over my aversion to hunting. I certainly can grow plants from seed - I've grown some vegetables over the years and we always had a garden when I was growing up. I'm learning to bake bread of late. I never bothered before, but I'm determined to develop that skill. You never know when it might be necessary. If I move out to the country, I intend to get a book on edible mushrooms and other edible plants.
    It is always good to learn new skills!
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-27-2021),Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2021)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,766x in 13,677 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks, lol.

Cutesy Time is OVER

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-27-2021),Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (05-27-2021)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That's wonderful and smart too. I feel the same way about hunting, even if I was starving to death, I wouldn't kill an animal, at least I hope not. It is for this reason I have a strong prepper stash of pinto beans. : ) if anything happens to that, I'm in some trouble.

I remember when I was a child my parents were always telling me which plants were edible in the wild. I'm afraid, I didn't pay attention properly. This is definitely something I need to study. I do think you are right it's an important knowledge to have. I remember once when I was in University, I had a professor who was Native American, he told of a story of how he had to go on a spirit journey and survive in the wild. He said he survived by watching what the animals ate, and eating what they ate. I thought that was good information.

I feel like I learned a lot during the Covid lockdown last year. It was like a small prepper course. I was able to see where I was lacking. I do have a very small book, I think it is an SAS survival handbook, something like that, it has a section on plant identification. But honestly even looking at the pics, I am still confused. One thing I know I will be able to identify is dandelions. Lol.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-27-2021),FindersKeepers (05-27-2021)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's wonderful and smart too. I feel the same way about hunting, even if I was starving to death, I wouldn't kill an animal, at least I hope not. It is for this reason I have a strong prepper stash of pinto beans. : ) if anything happens to that, I'm in some trouble.

I remember when I was a child my parents were always telling me which plants were edible in the wild. I'm afraid, I didn't pay attention properly. This is definitely something I need to study. I do think you are right it's an important knowledge to have. I remember once when I was in University, I had a professor who was Native American, he told of a story of how he had to go on a spirit journey and survive in the wild. He said he survived by watching what the animals ate, and eating what they ate. I thought that was good information.

I feel like I learned a lot during the Covid lockdown last year. It was like a small prepper course. I was able to see where I was lacking. I do have a very small book, I think it is an SAS survival handbook, something like that, it has a section on plant identification. But honestly even looking at the pics, I am still confused. One thing I know I will be able to identify is dandelions. Lol.
    Dandelions are really good for you. Unless you have a bleeding disorder- they thin the blood. They grow all over in the northern hemisphere and although there are dandelions look-alikes, none are toxic.

But your professor was right. Watch what the animals eat.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2021)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dandelions are an excellent source of vitamins, so is chicory - it's in the dandelion family, but it grows tall with the leaves forming on either side of the stalk and has little blue flowers that look like daisies. It's also less bitter than dandelion. The roots can also be dried and used to make fake coffee. You can also eat thistle - cooked, as well as nettles, cooked - you'll need gloves to pick either of them. Another edible that is ubiquitous is wild sorrel. The variety that I am used to seeing looks like smallish clover with heart shaped leaves. It's a brighter green than clover. If you taste it, it has a lemony flavor. There is also wild onion, and wild garlic, which you can use as flavoring - eating too much is poisonous. Wild asparagus is great in the spring. Also in the spring, you can pick fiddle heads, which are just baby ferns - as they come out of the ground they are coiled like the head of a fiddle. Then there are wild raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, mulberries and other berries indigenous to various regions. Here we also have chokecherries, horrible if you just eat them raw, but you can make them into jam or wine if you have a source of sugar or honey. There are crab apples, which are edible if you stew them and hawthorn berries, which again are edible if you cook them.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2021)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our mother always brought up their experience in the great depression when we had little to eat. Kinda funny when you think of it. But think about that time for a moment. They elected one of our greatest presidents whose policies and work is still with us and still helps all.

PS We had a neighbor who made dandelion wine.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

20. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-27-2021)

+ Reply to Thread