Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am liberal enough to upset some of you, and conservative enough to freak out some of the liberals, my objective response is emotional balance.

Conservative response to a problem: Well ****. How do I fix this?
    Liberal response to a problem: You have to fix this!!

Liberal response to alternative lifestyles: Celebrate your uniqueness!
    Conservative response to alternative lifestyles: They are demeaning to my relationship.

Liberal response to education: Anyone who doesn't get a degree and another degree, is stoopid and uneducated.
    Conservative response to education: I don't want the debt, so how can I learn the subject? Library, mentoring, trade, working in the field from the bottom up.

I could go on for hours. Bottom line, conservatives see a problem or issue, and think how to address it (logic). Liberals want someone else to fix it, and the majority of the time, want other people to pay for it also. (emotion)

While I lean liberal on a lot of social issues, I look at the financial and practical side like a conservative.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (06-05-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Since I am liberal enough to upset some of you, and conservative enough to freak out some of the liberals, my objective response is emotional balance.

Conservative response to alternative lifestyles: They are demeaning to my relationship.

Liberal response to education: Anyone who doesn't get a degree and another degree, is stoopid and uneducated.
    Conservative response to education: I don't want the debt, so how can I learn the subject? Library, mentoring, trade, working in the field from the bottom up.

I could go on for hours. Bottom line, conservatives see a problem or issue, and think how to address it (logic). Liberals want someone else to fix it, and the majority of the time, want other people to pay for it also. (emotion)

While I lean liberal on a lot of social issues, I look at the financial and practical side like a conservative.
    Conservatives see a problem and prudently try to fix it. Liberals see a problem and create more problems in response.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on your metrics, I'm more conservative than liberal at least on an individual level. I've never asked anyone else to fix my problems, save for paying someone else to do something I don't know how to do and I have always paid my own way. I don't really believe in hand outs but I won't see the elderly, the disabled and children do without. I expect people who can work to try to gain employment. Sometimes that can take a while and people shouldn't starve to death because they can't find a job or feel they have to resort to crime in order to eat.

There are many forms of education and not all of it is delivered from an educational institution. Experience is often more valuable than academic education. Common sense, logic, intuition and the desire to learn is something that isn't generally taught. While an education is valuable, it doesn't always translate to practical ability and the ability to apply what has been taught. There is such a thing as highly educated idiots.

I think that true liberals believe in the utility of science to eliminate suffering and make life easier for people and that tradition is only useful if it isn't stratifying society and holding some people back in order to advantage certain segments of society over others.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (06-05-2021)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I suppose one can be personally liberal/conservative but politically the opposite. A liberal businessman might still fall for Biden's advocacy of CRT. Though I'm not really sure what it means to be personally one or the other.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One thing to point out is a difference between the OP study and Mike's. The OP study is based on self-reporting. It's the way practicing psychologists/psychiatrists approach it: It's a mental problem if patients report it as such and find it troubling and undesirable. Mike's is an academic, experimentalist study of people in general, and as such "negativity bias" is value-free, neither good nor bad associated with it.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Based on your metrics, I'm more conservative than liberal at least on an individual level. I've never asked anyone else to fix my problems, save for paying someone else to do something I don't know how to do and I have always paid my own way. I don't really believe in hand outs but I won't see the elderly, the disabled and children do without. I expect people who can work to try to gain employment. Sometimes that can take a while and people shouldn't starve to death because they can't find a job or feel they have to resort to crime in order to eat.

There are many forms of education and not all of it is delivered from an educational institution. Experience is often more valuable than academic education. Common sense, logic, intuition and the desire to learn is something that isn't generally taught. While an education is valuable, it doesn't always translate to practical ability and the ability to apply what has been taught. There is such a thing as highly educated idiots.

I think that true liberals believe in the utility of science to eliminate suffering and make life easier for people and that tradition is only useful if it isn't stratifying society and holding some people back in order to advantage certain segments of society over others.
    From what you posted, we aren't far apart.

I am more limited in regards to people who can work, but choose not to. That can stretch from someone who thinks their skills are worth more then the market is will to pay, who feels that they need to start at the top because they have a degree, and those who aren't willing to 'do what needs to be done' in order to put bread on the table.

If you've seen some of the posts from those more on the liberal side, they deride those who don't have a degree, until they need a tradesman for something. Some still look down their noses even then.

As to 'eliminating suffering', which in itself is a wide swath, there is having less than you would like having, just enough to get by, medical suffering, mental suffering. The issue is who is more important? While charity is beneficial for the heart and soul, at what point does giving to others a detriment to one's self? If it's being done voluntarily of a personal level, then give until it hurts is quite common. When it is taken from by extortion and given to those who spit at you, while your brethren do without, I have a problem with that.

Wealth distribution also comes into play. Helping someone who truly needs it is a duty of society, but for decades my phone bill got tapped to help subsidize 'rural internet' for others, when I couldn't even afford it for myself, well, I have an issue with that. People given extra tax breaks for children, paid for by others including the childless. There is no exchange of benefit there. The basis of charity is to help someone move up and do for themselves, not support a lifestyle of minimal contribution for maximum return.
    Last edited by Collateral Damage; 06-04-2021 at 01:04 PM.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I suppose one can be personally liberal/conservative but politically the opposite. A liberal businessman might still fall for Biden's advocacy of CRT. Though I'm not really sure what it means to be personally one or the other.
    I must be missing something here... I don't believe one can be one way personally, and the opposite politically. Your reference to Biden makes it more a personality issue, not a policy/ideals issue.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I must be missing something here... I don't believe one can be one way personally, and the opposite politically. Your reference to Biden makes it more a personality issue, not a policy/ideals issue.
    Per Dr Who's post, she does what she can for herself, personally, yet she is very progressive and supports government deciding and doing things for people.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-04-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    negativity bias" is thought to be a carry-over evolutionary survival trait.
    If it is, and that certainly sounds plausible, its application to very recent political phenomena seems less than useless. It reminds me of the kind of articles you'll sometimes see about researchers who observe brain activity when making moral choices, for example, and then jump to all sorts of unjustified conclusions. I think it's possible that a general disposition in one's personality can be a factor in one's choice of political ideology but I think these pop science stories make far too much out of this sort of thing.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing to point out is a difference between the OP study and Mike's. The OP study is based on self-reporting. It's the way practicing psychologists/psychiatrists approach it: It's a mental problem if patients report it as such and find it troubling and undesirable. Mike's is an academic, experimentalist study of people in general, and as such "negativity bias" is value-free, neither good nor bad associated with it.
    I wasn't addressing the OP. Mike's citation reminded me of the 'political gene' articles I've seen over the last decade or so.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-04-2021)

+ Reply to Thread