Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    You know we are friends, right ?

So please know I point this little Freudian slip out to you in a kind and friendly way and take it the way I mean it.

You said, "...while an education is valuable..." I am sure you meant to say...while a COLLEGE education is valuable...

See the little slip. You associated a college education as the only education there is and the only one that counts....without specifically saying a COLLEGE education.

ANY education counts....and the only real learning occurs after formal schooling. Be it college, the trades, or whatever.

The formal schooling gives you the theory, and once armed with that, you can start real learning.
    There are even some sills that have no formal theory training at all and everything is learned on the job.

I will leave it at that. Give me this one small point. I am smarter than to try and debate with you on this.
    You would kick my ass in two paragraphs.

So, please, just grant me this one small point of you saying college education and education are the same thing.

Throw a crumb to the pigeon, please.
    My apologies. I should have qualified my statement to read "post secondary" education.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    To the degree that the state is paying for roads and infrastructure, it is coming out of state income taxes. If most of the people in a state live in urban centers, then they are likely paying for more than just the infrastructure in cities, they are also paying for rural infrastructure.
    Your mill rate on a square footage basis for your land is still far lower than in a city, even though you are not be paying anything for sewerage because you are on a septic system or garbage collection, since you dispose of your own and provide your own water. However very small towns don't generally have their own water treatment plants. They are usually county plants and often subsidized by the state or federal government in the form of grants. Since the number of users tends to be lower, even if they pay the same rate as urban dwellers, they often aren't actually paying the full cost of the building and operational costs of the treatment plant, not to mention running all the pipeline for fewer users. Yes, secondary and tertiary roads may not even be paved, but the highways are paved and that's a lot of road to run through sparsely populated areas. There are also bridges, paid by the state. Rural district schools are also at times heavily subsidized by the state, especially in areas where the population is low. You can only bus kids so far before it becomes impractical.
    Several States don't have income taxes. Tennessee has a slightly higher Sales Tax, but no income tax. The Sales tax is less than the Sales Tax plus Income Tax in places such as New Jersey, and the Real Estate taxes are very different also. Tennessee doesn't have the snow situation, roads don't develop potholes at the rate NJ does, etc.

One-size-fits-all doesn't work in this situation. While some cities 'subsidize' rural areas, not all do.

FYI: my small town/county does have it's own treatment plant for the local water. County residents do not currently have an option for city water. It's been going rounds that the City wants to collect the (equal to city) taxes for a minimum of 5 years BEFORE installing water lines in County areas, with an additional fee of $2500 for access to the water line demarked 5' into the property line. Any additional piping is on the homeowner. Sewer lines, if ever available, will be the same as water lines.

I'll stick with my well and septic.

Infrastructure costs fluctuate based on a
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-07-2021)

+ Reply to Thread