User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to know how much money is "enough"...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,663x in 25,183 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post How to know how much money is "enough"...

How to know how much money is "enough"... How Much Money Is 'Enough'? This Simple Thought Experiment Gives You an Exact Number to Aim For - Constantly chasing more and more will make you miserable. The right goal gets you off the treadmill.

getty_1202985465_2000133320009280288_413526.jpg

It's ridiculous that anyone could complain about raking in $350,000 a year, and it's clear many of these folks are wildly out of touch with how privileged they are. But while these families may be extreme (and annoying), they aren't alone. It's not just the wealthy who fall into the trap of earning more only to spend more and feel just as dissatisfied.

How do you get off this treadmill?

The answer is not to compare yourself with others (Jeff Bezos will always be there to make you feel bad), or to blindly try to keep making more (there will always be some shiny, new thing to covet). The answer is to take a hard look at your own financial realities and aspirations and come up with a goal number. How much money is enough for you?

money-printing.gif

giphy.gif
    Money.gif

o-PILES-OF-AMERICAN-MONEY-facebook.jpg
    https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...tm_source=digg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-08-2021),Docthehun (06-08-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-08-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Biblical verse is not "Money is the root of all evil". The true verse is "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil". How much is enough? For some President joe biden's stipend is enough. Some people earn money while a precious few make money. For the Jeff Bozo's of the world I don't think his money is as important to him as the things he is creating to make that money, money that would not exist without his efforts. It is the sense of accomplishment that drives many to make as much as they can. What is your wildest dream? Wouldn't you like to have enough money to realize that dream?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-08-2021),Docthehun (06-08-2021),MMC (06-08-2021)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,536
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,159x in 28,540 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If you ain't first, you're last." — Ricky Bobby

Money is a great measurement of success. People are always willing to tell you what you want to hear but they only pay what they percieve your value or your product's value is.

That doesn't mean that you should lose sight of why you want the money.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-08-2021)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,873x in 4,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    "If you ain't first, you're last." — Ricky Bobby

Money is a great measurement of success. People are always willing to tell you what you want to hear but they only pay what they percieve your value or your product's value is.

That doesn't mean that you should lose sight of why you want the money.
    Some people use money as their measurement of 'success', this is true. Glad I don't socialize with them.

I used to have the 'mark of success' argument with my father. His definition: how many people remember his name. My definition: How many people remember my name, and smile.

There is a world of difference between the two, and he never seemed to grasp that.

When it comes to money, if my bills are paid, my shelter is paid for, my wheels run well and my healthcare is covered, and I can afford the occasional indulgence, then I'm good.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (06-08-2021),Dr. Who (06-08-2021),MMC (06-08-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Some people use money as their measurement of 'success', this is true. Glad I don't socialize with them.

I used to have the 'mark of success' argument with my father. His definition: how many people remember his name. My definition: How many people remember my name, and smile.

There is a world of difference between the two, and he never seemed to grasp that.

When it comes to money, if my bills are paid, my shelter is paid for, my wheels run well and my healthcare is covered, and I can afford the occasional indulgence, then I'm good.
    OK, good answers as far as they go. However, how much shelter is enough shelter? After all a canvass tent can provide some shelter. What about your wheels? I have a 25 year old jeep with 200,000 miles on it. It runs well but my brand new Hyundai Santa Fe is far more comfortable and gets much better gas mileage. As for health care, being in reasonably good health I didn't have health insurance until I was in my 50's and even then it was "catastrophic illness" health care, i.e. I was run over by a truck or had cancer or any hospitalizations.

So, even saying "give me just the basics" begs the question of just what are the basics?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-08-2021)

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Docthehun's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,497x in 2,935 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just not "country club" material and my attitude in general mimics Chevy Chase in Caddyshack. In my life we went from being poor to being, pretty damn well off. Fortunately, being the oldest of five kids, I didn't really notice the transition until Jr. High when I was already pretty set in my ways. I still have the savings account I started to accumulate the meager earnings from my paper route. In those days, you were responsible for collections as well. You learn the right mix of toughness and empathy.

In third or fourth grade, my mom sent to the 5&10 to pick up some office supplies. I had a buck something left over in change which I used to buy a "very cool" toy machine gun with it's own sound effects. My dad viewed the purchase as something less than cool and I was ordered to "white wash" the basement walls, after school, until I completed said task. For a kid, it seemed like a monumental chore. That is how I learned the value of a buck.

I never lost it and have lived below my means my whole life. My dad once said, "money doesn't buy happiness, but it doesn't hurt".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Docthehun For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-08-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Docthehun View Post
    I'm just not "country club" material and my attitude in general mimics Chevy Chase in Caddyshack. In my life we went from being poor to being, pretty damn well off. Fortunately, being the oldest of five kids, I didn't really notice the transition until Jr. High when I was already pretty set in my ways. I still have the savings account I started to accumulate the meager earnings from my paper route. In those days, you were responsible for collections as well. You learn the right mix of toughness and empathy. In third or fourth grade, my mom sent to the 5&10 to pick up some office supplies. I had a buck something left over in change which I used to buy a "very cool" toy machine gun with it's own sound effects. My dad viewed the purchase as something less than cool and I was ordered to "white wash" the basement walls, after school, until I completed said task. For a kid, it seemed like a monumental chore. That is how I learned the value of a buck. I never lost it and have lived below my means my whole life. My dad once said, "money doesn't buy happiness, but it doesn't hurt".
    We grew up church mouse poor. I was delivering the Youngstown Vindicator on Sunday mornings with a wagon before Mass, milking cows and picking up paper at the pool (because we couldn't afford to pay to get in). I have never lost that frugalness and still live well below my means. My wife says that I get this look on my face when I'm going to spend real money -- even on essentials - the look like our kids did when they messed their diapers.... I can't help it. My brother that died left my sister-in-law penniless. I am very disappointed.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-08-2021),Docthehun (06-08-2021)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    .... When it comes to money, if my bills are paid, my shelter is paid for, my wheels run well and my healthcare is covered, and I can afford the occasional indulgence, then I'm good.
    I'm exactly the same way. I used to agonize over the fact that I never did the smart thing and invested or even saved on a regular basis - that my family and I would be in dire straits when I could no longer work. As it turned out, I actually was investing; it was just an investment in time, not cash. I retired toward the end of last year when I found that I could easily pay my share of the bills with money to spare - to save or spend on some small indulgence - on the income I was getting from Social Security and two pensions. (And yes, I'm aware that SSI may not be around all that much longer, but there's a very good chance it will at least outlive me.)

I did have one small bank loan that I was paying on, but when an aunt (who was a nasty, mean old woman who nobody liked) passed away and the first installment on my share of the inheritance was almost exactly enough to pay it off, I took it as a sign.

I was offered a full-time job at an attorney's office a five-minute drive from my house a couple of months ago...and I actually thought about it for a few days. But I'm learning to take it somewhat easy now, having worked nearly every day for almost fifty years, and I ended up passing on the job. My health isn't all that it could be, so I don't know how many more years I've got on this planet. It's time for me, personally, to slow it down and enjoy a quieter, more contemplative life. I have no desire to vacation in exotic places or buy hundred-thousand dollar automobiles or any of that. Sure it's fun to fantasize about something like this.

But, to coin a phrase, you can't take it with you.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-08-2021),Docthehun (06-08-2021),FindersKeepers (06-08-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I'm exactly the same way. I used to agonize over the fact that I never did the smart thing and invested or even saved on a regular basis - that my family and I would be in dire straits when I could no longer work. As it turned out, I actually was investing; it was just an investment in time, not cash. I retired toward the end of last year when I found that I could easily pay my share of the bills with money to spare - to save or spend on some small indulgence - on the income I was getting from Social Security and two pensions. (And yes, I'm aware that SSI may not be around all that much longer, but there's a very good chance it will at least outlive me.)

I did have one small bank loan that I was paying on, but when an aunt (who was a nasty, mean old woman who nobody liked) passed away and the first installment on my share of the inheritance was almost exactly enough to pay it off, I took it as a sign.

I was offered a full-time job at an attorney's office a five-minute drive from my house a couple of months ago...and I actually thought about it for a few days. But I'm learning to take it somewhat easy now, having worked nearly every day for almost fifty years, and I ended up passing on the job. My health isn't all that it could be, so I don't know how many more years I've got on this planet. It's time for me, personally, to slow it down and enjoy a quieter, more contemplative life. I have no desire to vacation in exotic places or buy hundred-thousand dollar automobiles or any of that. Sure it's fun to fantasize about something like this.

But, to coin a phrase, you can't take it with you.
    Smart move!!! When this lease is up, I'm done - unless I do a few hours a week to mentor.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (06-08-2021),MisterVeritis (06-08-2021),Standing Wolf (06-08-2021)

+ Reply to Thread