User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An innocent man went to prison for murder, but now, it’s the real killer’s turn...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,627x in 25,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post An innocent man went to prison for murder, but now, it’s the real killer’s turn...

An innocent man went to prison for murder, but now, it’s the real killer’s turn...

Eighteen-year-old Angie Dodge was raped and killed in her Idaho home a quarter-century ago and an innocent man wrongly served 20 years in prison for the crime. On Tuesday, the man authorities have said is the real killer was sentenced to life in prison.
    Brian Leigh Dripps Sr., 55, must serve at least 20 years in prison before he will be eligible for parole, 7th District Judge Joel Tingey said. Dripps’ defense attorneys say his medical problems — including a history of heart issues and an autoimmune disease — makes it unlikely that he will live long enough to get parole. “Twenty-five years is a long time to wait for some type of closure on such a brutal crime,” Tingey said. “ … It’s impossible to quantify how much damage has been caused, and it’s spread wide.”

Christopher_Tapp.jpg

5d2fb345b8902.image.jpg

5b8ed689e1961.image.jpg

0516 dripps 02.jpg

IMG_4383_1563391389316_38999793_ver1.0_1280_720-860x484.jpeg

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/ma...n-idaho-falls/
    https://localnews8.com/archive/2019/...pp-exonerated/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Common (06-10-2021),pragmatic (06-10-2021)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,464x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious..Does it also include expungement? Restitution?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,627x in 25,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Curious..Does it also include expungement? Restitution?
    @stjames1_53 - Thank you for your thoughtful inquiry. Expungement is not necessary as the conviction is vacated and Mr. Tapp was declared INNOCENT. Mr. Tapp got involved and was the impetus for Idaho to pas the Wrongful Conviction Act which grants compensation to those wrongfully imprisoned.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/0...de-chris-tapp/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

pragmatic (06-10-2021),stjames1_53 (06-10-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to imply his wrongful conviction was justified but bear in mind he wasn't just thrown in jail right off the street. There was a trial, a jury heard the pro and con evidence and elected to convict him. Perhaps the person most at fault is his defense attorney who apparently didn't mount a strong enough defense. Another question is who was the person wrongly convicted, i.e. what kind of person was he. What led to his arrest? Did he already have criminal history and was he likely to continue that life if acquitted. Perhaps he would have spent almost that much time in jail anyway.

I don't know if any of this is true, I am only throwing out ideas

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (06-10-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    @stjames1_53 - Thank you for your thoughtful inquiry. Expungement is not necessary as the conviction is vacated and Mr. Tapp was declared INNOCENT. Mr. Tapp got involved and was the impetus for Idaho to pas the Wrongful Conviction Act which grants compensation to those wrongfully imprisoned.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/0...de-chris-tapp/
    Some states aren't so generous. But he still needs to have all of those records expunged, up to and including to the "investigation" as a suspect. I went through a deep dive FBI background check for my current job. They found the only warning ticket I ever got from 1976.
    If these facts aren't removed, they will surface in a deep background check and could result in prohibiting employment with anything less than a burger flipper or dishwasher.
    Maybe he should find a fair and honest investor. He could live off the million plus for a very long time.
    He's going to need counselling for re-introduction into society.....
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Not to imply his wrongful conviction was justified but bear in mind he wasn't just thrown in jail right off the street. There was a trial, a jury heard the pro and con evidence and elected to convict him. Perhaps the person most at fault is his defense attorney who apparently didn't mount a strong enough defense. Another question is who was the person wrongly convicted, i.e. what kind of person was he. What led to his arrest? Did he already have criminal history and was he likely to continue that life if acquitted. Perhaps he would have spent almost that much time in jail anyway.

Sloppy police work often relies upon brow beating a suspect into a conviction. Did you NOT go read the articles/links that the OP presented?
    - Thucydides

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (06-10-2021)

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,810x in 13,699 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post

Obviously the jury heard false evidence and testimony. This is obviously the fault of law enforcement, and the prosecution. Until we start to hold overzealous prosecutors and investigators, personally responsible, these travesties of justice will continue to happen.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

12. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-10-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Sloppy police work often relies upon brow beating a suspect into a conviction. Did you NOT go read the articles/links that the OP presented?
    Why YES I did read the article, admittedly not all of them. The first article begs the question of why did the police suspect him? His only tie, according to the article, was his connection with a known rapist. Why didn't his attorney stop the police from coercing him? And did you NOT read my last sentence where I said I was just throwing out questions????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember back when cigar was here and exotix and dozens of other liberals as I tried to explain why so many people were falsely accused and convicted and set to prison...PRIOR to DNA...they raged at me said mostly all blacks were falsely accused and it was about racism...First I asked them all multiple times to provide the data that demonstrated it was only blacks...and I said I could also explain why there were so many black falsely accused

First prior to dna, detectives got a case from patrol. Ever hear of the expression "GUMSHOE" that was in fact true there were alot of gumshoes..in the 60s 70s 80s they had soft rubber sole shoes with ridges all the way across in their time they were the most comfortable shoes to do alot of walking on concrete until you stepped in dog $#@! and took half a day scraping it out of the grooves...and they wore out fast...thats where gumshoe came from

Detectives took what they could from the crime scene and went door to door, relatives, friends, neighbors people and business' close to the crime scene...there were NO cameras in NYC they can track a suspect for blocks on end via camera...not back then you had NOTHING but individual statements and your notes.

There were more blacks falsely convicted because Police in the late 60s and 70s especially and for GOOD REASON were not trusted one iota by the black community and would not talk to us PERIOD not even to help their friends or a family member because they believed we would set them up instead of exonerate them....it was not TRUE the lionshare of the time but the times it was true just poisoned everything.

SO yes at that point there were more blacks incarcerated falsely but that doesnt mean we didnt get it wrong on white people also and we did not set anyone up...we gathered all we could put it in report form, gave it to your Det Sgt or Lt and he read it briefed the commander and it was sent to the DA to make the final decisions...WE GOT IT WRONG if it was only once, it was once to many but we got it wrong alot more than that...but it wasnt done dishonestly it was done because all we had was human interaction to go by and thats ALWAYS unreliable
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure this man who had his life and reputation ruined will not receive any serious compensation.

+ Reply to Thread