User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should "WOKE" Teachers Demand what is Taught?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    @RichardMZhlubb, since you won't (or can't) do it, let me present an academic well-versed in CRT.

Let's look at what she says, from the video transcript.

She is not claiming the civil rights movement as part of CRT. No, she is simply setting historical context.

The civil rights movement in liberal terms declared discrimination unlawful, made it unconstitutional. It was liberal policy that followed MLK in demanding the law be color blind.

Now she turns to CRT.

The complaint here is with MLK-based, liberal demand for color blindness in anti-discrimination law. Do you begin to see how CRT is actually anti-liberal?

The CRT solution is this, based on Critical Legal Theory.

In short, CRT demands discrimination, demands racism.

She goes on.

CRT insists on race-based discrimination.

As for teaching it in schools, she initially demands CRT be taught in schools. Then she reverses herself and denies it is taught.

Note, I may have mixed some of the commentator's comments in with the professors but he is pro-CRT as well.

So, Richard, there you have it, CRT from CRT advocates.

Now what say you?
    Well Trump.....(insert whatever excuse. Orange man Bad, idiot, or some other insult)
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    VHD on Anatomy of the Woke Madness

...wokeism has done a lot of damage to America, and will do even more if left unchecked. Here are its chief characteristics.

First, remember that wokeism is a top-down phenomenon. It started in academia with “critical race theory” and “critical legal theory.” These are $#@! offshoots of harebrained “critical theory,” which arose from a demoralized and adrift Europe after the cataclysms of two devastating European-spawned world wars.

...Second, given its elite origins and spread, it is no surprise that wokeism is a psychological mechanism that exempts the privileged by virtue signaling and performance grievance-mongering in lieu of meaningful real action. Wokeism is neither consistent nor logical. Its self-serving selectivity means Hunter Biden’s serial use of the N-word is not inconsistent with his father’s lectures that the deplorables pose an existential racist threat to the nation.

...Third, Wokeism destroys individualism. We cease being persons and instead become categorized peoples. What does it matter that Al Sharpton was a racist demagogue, that Jesse Jackson a skilled shakedown artist of corporate America, that Bayard Rustin, in contrast, a brilliant civil rights strategist, or that Martin Luther King, Jr. was an ecumenical believer in the inherent goodness of a flawed America of his times—once they are all to be reduced to being just black, and therefore just equally victims?

...Fourth, race is not unimportant, but it is not the only catalyst of history or arbiter of life in the present. Cancer couldn’t care less about the race of the cells it warps. COVID-19 is not a white or black pandemic, for all the efforts to make it so. Google “racism” and learn that everything from gluten allergies to robots are now products of racism.

...Fifth, wokeism’s existential enemy is merit. Critical Race Theory claims that meritocratic criteria are rigged or “constructed” in subtle ways to reflect the dominant hegemonies of the white male heterosexual hierarchy. Thus physics has no innate laws across time and space. There are no race-neutral skills or lack of the same in a United Airlines pilot.

...Do we revert to the norms of the civil rights movement where the content of our character alone matters, not the color of our skin?

Or have we sunk so deeply into the woke quicksands, that we cannot thrash our way up to the air, and thus suffocate from the ancient pressures of the bog that have always destroyed civilizations?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-14-2021)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,475
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RichardMZhlubb's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,557x in 3,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Then by all means tell us what CRT is all about. Tell us how we mischaracterize CRT. Don't just make an empty claim.
    CRT is not the issue. It's become a boogeyman for any teaching of the history of racism and current racial problems in this country. Take, for example the recent Florida regulations that supposedly ban the teaching of CRT in Florida schools. CRT is not currently being taught in Florida schools, but that regulation is going to be used to go after any teacher that suggests the existence of systemic racism in this country.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMZhlubb View Post
    CRT is not the issue. It's become a boogeyman for any teaching of the history of racism and current racial problems in this country. Take, for example the recent Florida regulations that supposedly ban the teaching of CRT in Florida schools. CRT is not currently being taught in Florida schools, but that regulation is going to be used to go after any teacher that suggests the existence of systemic racism in this country.
    You won't be able to indoctrinate students into your cult in Florida. More states will take a stand. Get used to it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-14-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,563x in 94,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Ordinary Americans" understand that there is nothing wrong with giving students a complete picture of this country's history, racist underpinnings and all. It's the right-wing minority that is pushing this nonsense about censoring teachers.
    CRT ain't that.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-14-2021)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "Ordinary Americans" understand that there is nothing wrong with giving students a complete picture of this country's history, racist underpinnings and all. It's the right-wing minority that is pushing this nonsense about censoring teachers.
    CRT was implied in your first post. CRT is not for teaching history but for teaching false narratives. The 1619 Project is partly based on fact, but leaves out many facts, presents some false facts, and argues a false narrative. CRT is being taught in schools. School boards have imposed it. What you're seeing is parents--of all colors--objecting to its racism.

Systemic racism is not a historical fact. How can teaching it be considered history?

You obviously haven't seen the post from CRT advocates yet.

BTW, I agree slavery and racism like the KKK and Jim Crow should be taught and should point out the historical fact that that was all the Democratic Party's doing.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-14-2021),Peter1469 (06-14-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So, I'm actually in an academic program that teaches what would be called "CRT" and my perspective on some issues has shifted, but primarily as a result of talking about issues related to race and culture with other students in my cohort. I should make a disclaimer that my doctoral program has a social justice concentration because each campus has a "theme" based on where they are, and I am in DC. The APA also requires that doctoral students have at least one lesson related to social justice in each class and it has to be considered in our dissertations (either in the research data or in the topic).

However, I cannot think of any circumstance in which I would relay this information to students outside of graduate programs in my field. I see the utility of it for my purposes, but I think the goal for secondary students should be unbiased/neutral history. I don't see any benefit to of discussing concepts well above their pay grade, so to speak. I think that there are advanced topics worth discussing in the social and behavioral sciences, but it's too much for anyone without the education to put it into perspective (and adults not in academia can get that education through their own research, but I do not expect high school students to have that knowledge, experience or maturity).
    FYIWDWYTM

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-14-2021),MMC (06-14-2021),Peter1469 (06-14-2021)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,902
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,650x in 28,240 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no confusion.

No one is saying that kids should not be taught about the atrocities of slavery in proportion to the many historic events in our history. We all learned about from school. We all know it is a period that we do not want to repeat.

CRT is not history. It is teaching kids to be racist and bigoted. The 1619 Project wants to teach fake history.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-14-2021),MMC (06-14-2021)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,475
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RichardMZhlubb's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,557x in 3,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Systemic racism is not a historical fact.
    Of course it is. This is just ridiculous.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    So, I'm actually in an academic program that teaches what would be called "CRT" and my perspective on some issues has shifted, but primarily as a result of talking about issues related to race and culture with other students in my cohort. I should make a disclaimer that my doctoral program has a social justice concentration because each campus has a "theme" based on where they are, and I am in DC. The APA also requires that doctoral students have at least one lesson related to social justice in each class and it has to be considered in our dissertations (either in the research data or in the topic).

However, I cannot think of any circumstance in which I would relay this information to students outside of graduate programs in my field. I see the utility of it for my purposes, but I think the goal for secondary students should be unbiased/neutral history. I don't see any benefit to of discussing concepts well above their pay grade, so to speak. I think that there are advanced topics worth discussing in the social and behavioral sciences, but it's too much for anyone without the education to put it into perspective (and adults not in academia can get that education through their own research, but I do not expect high school students to have that knowledge, experience or maturity).
    There you have it @RichardMZhlubb. It is being taught, it is forced, it is a concept and not history.

@Adelaide, I agree, "students should be [taught] unbiased/neutral history." And sure, at the grad school-level, CRT could be a topic of, well, critical thinking.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-14-2021),MMC (06-14-2021)

+ Reply to Thread