User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Study says children on a vegan diet may have stunted growth and other health problems

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I have a problem with vegans who try to turn their carnivorous pets into vegans. That pisses me off.
    Me too. It would be more humane to just put them down, rather than slowly starve them to death, since they can't really process vegetable protein!
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Mister D (06-14-2021)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,081x in 28,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I agree babies need milk, mother's milk is best. After that though, they can obtain calcium in other foods, such as leafy greens, grains, and legumes.

As far as the boy who's destined to be 6'7", well that's kind of a height stretch since most boys aren't going to be that tall, but consider that Olympic athletes who are vegan don't look all that emaciated.

Does Olympic champion weightlifter, Kendrick Farris, look emaciated?

Venus isn't too emaciated either. I actually saw her play in person years ago--one of her thighs was as big around as my waist! She's a tough woman.

And, how about Namia Delgado, the vegan bodybuilder? His parents raised him Hindu.

I didn't mean to say Jews and Asians didn't eat meat--I meant to say they had high IQ's. That's what happens when I type before my third cup of coffee. My bad.

My point, however, is that there are some big misconceptions behind vegans being wimpy, emaciated, or not as smart.

It's all food science, and if anyone cares to learn it they can develop strong muscles, reduce inflammation, reduce other health risks, and be more alert.

I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't eat -- I'm just telling them that they don't need meat in order to be among the strongest healthiest people on the planet. The beef industry has done a good propaganda job.
    I'm pretty ceratain that none of these people grew up as vegans.

Since, the question is about development of kids undergoing grown spurts and constantly changing they these athletes really do not represent the dietary needs of kids. No doubt you have seen kids eat as they go through these spurts.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair -- anyone can give their kid $#@! to eat -- and many often do, which is why we have such a problem with childhood obesity.

The American Dietetic Association is supportive of vegan diets in childhood:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19562864/

The reason more and more athletes are going vegan is because muscle recovery is much quicker, they're more alert, and have more energy.

We also know vegans are less likely to have cancer and they're healthier, overall.

That said, I'm not a strict vegan, because it can be difficult. But, I'm not sure vegan parents are any less knowledgeable about nutrition than omnivorous parents.

Probably good parents in both groups and stupid parents in both groups.
    At the end of the day, if vegan is done right--the person can be healthier.
    If vegan is done right. The problem is the profound lack of culinary skills in the general population. Making vegan food taste appetizing requires more skill than cooking with meat. How many people really know how to cook and also have the time to prepare a tasty and nutritious vegan meal after getting home from work? Things like legumes take more time to prepare and cook than meat does and vegans are less likely to choose canned legumes to speed up the process. Vegan cooking is challenging, even for trained chefs. Anthony Bourdain once observed that "vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn."

Things like baked goods made without eggs tend to be dry and crumbly. There is no natural substitute for eggs in baking and the milk substitutes often result in an odd aftertaste.

Then there are the people who have to travel for work. Finding vegan food that isn't more than a salad or boiled vegetables or vegetable soup at a non-vegan restaurant is practically impossible and you can't force your clients to go to a vegan restaurant just to please you, assuming that there is a vegan restaurant in that town.

I think that there's a reason why so few people opt to become vegans. It's just impractical unless you are home all the time and rarely go out to dinner with non-vegan friends. Vegans are also an imposition at non-vegan dinner parties because the host has to try to prepare a separate meal for the vegan minority. The results are generally less than stellar. Veganism becomes like a cultist religion, where you have to dump all your non-vegan friends in favor of vegan or at least vegetarian friends in order that you can all partake of the same food.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-14-2021),Peter1469 (06-14-2021)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would actually consider lacto-ovo vegetarianism because that's a lifestyle I could stick to. Without dairy, I don't think I could meet my protein goals and breakfast without eggs is just...well, not breakfast.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-14-2021)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    If vegan is done right. The problem is the profound lack of culinary skills in the general population. Making vegan food taste appetizing requires more skill than cooking with meat. How many people really know how to cook and also have the time to prepare a tasty and nutritious vegan meal after getting home from work? Things like legumes take more time to prepare and cook than meat does and vegans are less likely to choose canned legumes to speed up the process. Vegan cooking is challenging, even for trained chefs. Anthony Bourdain once observed that "vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn."

Things like baked goods made without eggs tend to be dry and crumbly. There is no natural substitute for eggs in baking and the milk substitutes often result in an odd aftertaste.

Then there are the people who have to travel for work. Finding vegan food that isn't more than a salad or boiled vegetables or vegetable soup at a non-vegan restaurant is practically impossible and you can't force your clients to go to a vegan restaurant just to please you, assuming that there is a vegan restaurant in that town.

I think that there's a reason why so few people opt to become vegans. It's just impractical unless you are home all the time and rarely go out to dinner with non-vegan friends. Vegans are also an imposition at non-vegan dinner parties because the host has to try to prepare a separate meal for the vegan minority. The results are generally less than stellar. Veganism becomes like a cultist religion, where you have to dump all your non-vegan friends in favor of vegan or at least vegetarian friends in order that you can all partake of the same food.
    The sad reality is that the outspoken vegans are all crazy. Seriously, I mean $#@!ing nuts. It really is like a cult and when you leave they hate you for it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-14-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I don't disagree, but do you think part of that is due to not making children aware of healthy vegan options? There is a learning curve, to be sure, and perhaps because it's second-nature for me now that I tend to forget it's not really taught to kids or their parents.

If there's one thing I do well--and without needing a recipe--it's bake bread. When it comes to breads, artisan, French, and Italian types, no eggs or milk are necessary. When you get into the sweetbreads, cinnamon rolls, donuts, etc., eggs are usually included.
    My thoughts on that, though, are that people eat way too much sugar for the most part. I rarely make cakes anymore because my husband has a lot of food sensitivities, so most baked goods will be breads. I do use eggs and milk, though, if a recipe calls for them. My husband loves eggs.

If you have to substitute for milk, and you want to avoid the "off" taste, use oat milk. I make mine, and it's thick, pure white, and very tasty.
    From your lips to God's ears, and this is my favorite restaurant in Wichita.
    It probably is impractical for many. We've become a fast-paced society that eats on the run. But, the above emboldened is silly. Every single one of my friends is a meat-eater and we all go out together without worrying about what anyone else is eating. That's just not true. I will often order a dish, be it pasta, a sandwich, or something else and ask them to hold the meat. There's always something to eat. Occasionally, a chef will send the waiter back out to inquire if I'm vegetarian, and then offer to make me something "fabulous." I always take them up on that offer, but I don't make special requests.

We're really not cultists.

We are slender. We are in shape. Most of us work out, lift weights, and are very active. We have lower rates of heart disease, cancer, and other health issues.

I'm just not really seeing the downside here.

But, I don't begrudge anyone from enjoying their bloody flesh entrees. We all have to survive.

""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-14-2021),Peter1469 (06-14-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sad reality is that the outspoken vegans are all crazy. Seriously, I mean $#@!ing nuts. It really is like a cult and when you leave they hate you for it.

Well, I'm outspoken about many things, but I don't go around telling people not to eat meat. And, I'm not $#@!ing nuts, either.

I just do what I think is right, and when someone presents bogus information, it's my duty to set the record straight.

Plus, I'm not totally vegan.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-14-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would actually consider lacto-ovo vegetarianism because that's a lifestyle I could stick to. Without dairy, I don't think I could meet my protein goals and breakfast without eggs is just...well, not breakfast.
    Ovo-lacto vegetarianism is very popular. And healthy.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm outspoken about many things, but I don't go around telling people not to eat meat. And, I'm not $#@!ing nuts, either.

I just do what I think is right, and when someone presents bogus information, it's my duty to set the record straight.

Plus, I'm not totally vegan.
    Some vegans do that. They get very preachy and it's obnoxious. I don't believe that meat consumption is wrong in principle but I respect their choices. I only ask that they respect mine but they don't because they think my dinner tonight (Artic Char) is gravely immoral.

Anyway, I wasn't referring to you. You're very reasonable.

~Alain de Benoist

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-14-2021),FindersKeepers (06-14-2021)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ovo-lacto vegetarianism is very popular. And healthy.
    It's something I could actually do.

~Alain de Benoist

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-14-2021)

+ Reply to Thread