The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm cool with anyone who doesnt infringe on my liberties. Gays and lesbians generally don't. So God bless. I have more of an issue with transgender "rights" advocates at this point, because they do infringe on other peoples rights. They've infiltrated female sports, and the whole procedure itself is child abuse, assuming one is a child when transitioning.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-16-2021),Cotton1 (06-19-2021),IMPress Polly (06-18-2021)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,663x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that gay people have all the same rights, then why do they need a special month?
    The same thing with black Americans.

They do not want to be treated the same? They want to be treated better than?

I don't care who is gay but if they are going to go around throwing it in people's face then the can expect a reaction from some people.
    Then they have to explain what gene carries irritating flamboyant behavior. That I hate. I know gay men that act like normal men. Other than some lesbians that are militant, there is no difference between them and a straight woman.

So, if Perez Hilton was a straight man then I would still want to shut him up.

Gays need no month. They need no special laws.
    Neither do black Americans.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (06-16-2021),HawkTheSlayer (06-16-2021),nathanbforrest45 (06-16-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (06-16-2021)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,506x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Having employed many over the years I believe the word "gay" is the most misapplied adjective we have ever used. All of the one's I knew, along with their friends were anything but gay. Many were drug or alcohol abusers, many suffered from constant depression, several wanted to take on an aura of superiority that was totally undeserved.

Perhaps they suffer from these mental and emotional issues because not only doesn't mainstream society accept them (we tolerate them at best) but many don't accept themselves as well. I don't know why people are homosexual, I sincerely doubt it is a choice freely made, anymore than being straight is a choice, its what you are. I don't care if you are gay or lesbian or have a predilection toward goats as long as you don't think I must treat you special because of it.
    "Goats"? Hey. .I'm from Arkansas.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal thoughts are....

Quit throwing your sexuality in MY FACE. You guys are worse that Jehovah's Witnesses. You just HAVE TO SAY you are gay, like you expect me to hand you a trophy or something.

Who you $#@! is your business and yours alone. It is none of my business, so quit throwing who and how you $#@! in my face. It is dambed annoying.

I am NOT homophobic. I AM just plain sick and tired this annoying behavior.

It would be like those involved the the BDSM community walking around in leathers always talking about their latest "scene".
    I don't care what you did or who you $#@!ed.

Keep out of my face with it, or I will truly get into yours.

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, I had several gay friends. They were nice people. The gay men, anyways.

The hardcore dykes no one liked to be around.

I had one tell me she shoots dead center every time with her pistol as some kind of macho thing.
    I then asked her what kind of pistol it was.
    She said a .357 Magnum.
    I said, OK, that is the caliber of it, but what is the make and model of it.
    She said...I told you, it is a .357 Magnum !!!

I said she was a liar and probably did not even own a gun.

1. NO one ever hits dead center each and every time
    2. Guns have makes (manufacturers) and models. All you have to do is look at the gun and you will know. It is written right on it.

She was a liar and talking crap she know nothing about trying to out macho the real men in the bar.

PS...why do they always wear their shirts buttoned all the way up to the neck ? No one does that except Latino gangstas and bull dykes.

PS...My middle son, Christopher, is gay. I could tell very early, and made no big deal out of it. It is what it is. He is still my son, and I will still always be his father.
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 06-16-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-17-2021),nathanbforrest45 (06-16-2021)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so with the exception of a couple of you (DGUtley and XL) who don't seem especially bothered by gay people or gay culture, it seems like the rest of you are theoretically fine with individual people being gay, but have objections to either the general content of gay culture (at least as you perceive it to be) or to its integration into the cultural mainstream of society. That's what I'm gathering from the replies so far. Watching my fair share of Tucker Carslon Tonight this year, I feel like I can understand some of these objections. I mean, for example, I'm no more thrilled about WAP or about Drag Queen Story Hour coming to PBS than you are and am honestly baffled as to why people just assume otherwise, as though I somehow benefit from that $#@! in some way because I'm gay. No, I don't benefit from the sexual objectification of lesbians (as much being by far the main form of media representation we get) or from men dressing up as their idea of women for the express purpose of mockery, let alone in a sexualized way for the consumption of children aged 3 to 8! And transgenderism is an entirely different beast that I object to on principle, as everyone here knows.

That said though, I disagree with the insistence that gay men and lesbians shouldn't have a culture. I disagree also with the common notion I hear often that only R-rated movies and M-rated video games and media otherwise clearly intended for adults only should depict same-sex relationships on the grounds that it's "an adult subject matter". No, it's really not. Lots of kids today are living with in households with two moms or two dads. They shouldn't feel like freaks and be socially ostracized as a result. I likewise take exception to complaints against children's cartoons like She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, which is an action cartoon targeting an audience in the 8 to 14 age range that narratively centers lesbian characters and in fact includes many gay and bi characters. Puberty is the most confusing time to be something other than straight and precisely the point where you need that kind of simple validation the most! Just because a program or a game or a book or what have you features non-straight characters doesn't mean it has to revolve around the act of sex or that it even has to be be sexual in nature at all. I wish programs like the new She-Ra existed when I was that age and think there should be a lot of those and a lot less WAP type exclusively sexual portrayals of lesbians in circulation like who you love is just a pervy fetish that exists for men to watch.

In other words, for me it's not a question of something being "too gay" or of gay culture being too integrated into the the social mainstream, but rather it's about the ways in which this occurs. There are socially healthy ways to acknowledge gay people and there are also unhealthy ways that generally revolve around fetishizing people instead of treating them like human beings.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-18-2021 at 11:03 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-19-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I disagree with the insistence that gay men and lesbians shouldn't have a culture.
    CUlture is what a people in time and place have, not abstract identity groups.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    CUlture is what a people in time and place have, not abstract identity groups.
    "America" is a much more nebulous, abstract identity group. By a margin of at least 11 million people, people don't agree on who an American is, and less do they on what it stands for or should (hence our political parties and such). And yet it has a culture and very basic things (like freedom in the abstract) that most "Americans" can agree it stands for, including agreed-upon holidays, like the upcoming Independence Day celebrations that I suspect you'll be observing despite the subjectivity of the concept of nations, and more. Gay culture is similar in all these ways, but just represents a different, more global, people group.

Lesbian culture also similar, to the very limited extent it still exists. Lesbian culture was always a much smaller phenom than gay men's culture to begin with, but has largely disappeared over the course of my lifetime. There used to be everything from lesbian bars and night clubs to lesbian-identified summer festivals like the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival I enjoyed attending in the past and much more, in addition to a thriving online community of lesbians. All of that has largely disappeared though over the course of recent decades. There are lots of reasons that range from the rise of internet dating apps to this newly fashionable bull$#@! called gender identity convincing a substantial percentage of gay girls and young women that they're straight guys or "non-binary", whatever that means. The biggest reason for the disappearance of lesbian culture though has been mainstream acceptance. The more regular bars have come to tolerate lesbians, the fewer lesbian bars survive, for example. That's the crux of it overall. And yet there are people like me who can remember these types of things and see them as representing an important part of history and as having, in that sort of way, intrinsic value, and to want to preserve the few lesbian institutions that survive today. I miss MichFest. It was a good thing! Without an autonomous culture to identify with and call their own, today's young lesbians and bi girls don't seem know whether they're even female or not.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-19-2021 at 05:33 AM.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Okay, so with the exception of a couple of you (DGUtley and XL) who don't seem especially bothered by gay people or gay culture, it seems like the rest of you are theoretically fine with individual people being gay, but have objections to either the general content of gay culture (at least as you perceive it to be) or to its integration into the cultural mainstream of society. That's what I'm gathering from the replies so far. Watching my fair share of Tucker Carslon Tonight this year, I feel like I can understand some of these objections. I mean, for example, I'm no more thrilled about WAP or about Drag Queen Story Hour coming to PBS than you are and am honestly baffled as to why people just assume otherwise, as though I somehow benefit from that $#@! in some way because I'm gay. No, I don't benefit from the sexual objectification of lesbians (as much being by far the main form of media representation we get) or from men dressing up as their idea of women for the express purpose of mockery, let alone in a sexualized way for the consumption of children aged 3 to 8! And transgenderism is an entirely different beast that I object to on principle, as everyone here knows.

That said though, I disagree with the insistence that gay men and lesbians shouldn't have a culture. I disagree also with the common notion I hear often that only R-rated movies and M-rated video games and media otherwise clearly intended for adults only should depict same-sex relationships on the grounds that it's "an adult subject matter". No, it's really not. Lots of kids today are living with in households with two moms or two dads. They shouldn't feel like freaks and be socially ostracized as a result. I likewise take exception to complaints against children's cartoons like She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, which is an action cartoon targeting an audience in the 8 to 14 age range that narratively centers lesbian characters and in fact includes many gay and bi characters. Puberty is the most confusing time to be something other than straight and precisely the point where you need that kind of simple validation the most! Just because a program or a game or a book or what have you features non-straight characters doesn't mean it has to revolve around the act of sex or that it even has to be be sexual in nature at all. I wish programs like the new She-Ra existed when I was that age and think there should be a lot of those and a lot less WAP type exclusively sexual portrayals of lesbians in circulation like who you love is just a pervy fetish that exists for men to watch.

In other words, for me it's not a question of something being "too gay" or of gay culture being too integrated into the the social mainstream, but rather it's about the ways in which this occurs. There are socially healthy ways to acknowledge gay people and there are also unhealthy ways that generally revolve around fetishizing people instead of treating them like human beings.
    I have no problem with gay culture, and while, like you, I'm not in favor of introducing sexual content to young children, I have no problem with allowing trans, drag queens, whatever, to read books to kids, etc. I think by allowing children to see that this world is made up of many different types of people, we can reduce judgementalism, which in turn reduces fear and hatred.

But in the same way that the Left is dividing us by race, they're also dividing us by gender and sexuality now.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-19-2021),Peter1469 (06-19-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I have no problem with gay culture, and while, like you, I'm not in favor of introducing sexual content to young children, I have no problem with allowing trans, drag queens, whatever, to read books to kids, etc. I think by allowing children to see that this world is made up of many different types of people, we can reduce judgementalism, which in turn reduces fear and hatred.

But in the same way that the Left is dividing us by race, they're also dividing us by gender and sexuality now.
    This is Drag Queen Story Hour:

There's stuff here I object to and stuff I don't. The gay bunny book, for example, is great! I've read it. It's called A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo and it also doubles as an hilarious social parody that you as an adult will likely appreciate too. It's got a full five-star rating on Amazon for that reason. That's not "propaganda" folks, that's kids learning that there are gay people in the world because there are and that they deserve acceptance because they do.

But no, young children don't need to learn how to twerk. That's not appropriate. (In fact, I'd rather adults not twerk either, but that's another matter. ) And I do kind of have my issues with drag as a phenomenon to the extent that it revolves around stereotyping women for satirical purposes like RuPaul's Drag Race, and it's also a specifically sexual tradition, to which end I'm not so sure about the appropriateness of some other books they've read to young kids at these events like The Hips of the Drag Queen Go Swish, Swish, Swish for instance either. And these events aimed at young children clearly need to be more carefully screened for pedophiles. I mean as you can see in the video above, not even every drag queen is on board with it. I just feel like Drag Queen Story Hour is one of those ideas that creates more problems than it solves and probably shouldn't continue, let alone supported by tax dollars. Just my take.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-19-2021 at 07:00 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-19-2021),Peter1469 (06-19-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    "America" is a much more nebulous, abstract identity group. By a margin of at least 11 million people, people don't agree on who an American is, and less do they on what it stands for or should (hence our political parties and such). And yet it has a culture and very basic things (like freedom in the abstract) that most "Americans" can agree it stands for, including agreed-upon holidays, like the upcoming Independence Day celebrations that I suspect you'll be observing despite the subjectivity of the concept of nations, and more. Gay culture is similar in all these ways, but just represents a different, more global, people group.

Lesbian culture also similar, to the very limited extent it still exists. Lesbian culture was always a much smaller phenom than gay men's culture to begin with, but has largely disappeared over the course of my lifetime. There used to be everything from lesbian bars and night clubs to lesbian-identified summer festivals like the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival I enjoyed attending in the past and much more, in addition to a thriving online community of lesbians. All of that has largely disappeared though over the course of recent decades. There are lots of reasons that range from the rise of internet dating apps to this newly fashionable bull$#@! called gender identity convincing a substantial percentage of gay girls and young women that they're straight guys or "non-binary", whatever that means. The biggest reason for the disappearance of lesbian culture though has been mainstream acceptance. The more regular bars have come to tolerate lesbians, the fewer lesbian bars survive, for example. That's the crux of it overall. And yet there are people like me who can remember these types of things and see them as representing an important part of history and as having, in that sort of way, intrinsic value, and to want to preserve the few lesbian institutions that survive today. I miss MichFest. It was a good thing! Without an autonomous culture to identify with and call their own, today's young lesbians and bi girls don't seem know whether they're even female or not.
    "America" is a much more nebulous, abstract identity group.
    America is not an "identity" group. It's a culture, the culture of the American people. No one decides what that culture is, it's an emergent property of a people in a time and place.

There is a gay community but it is subsumed within the larger American community and a single culture.

Seems to me you've bought into the identitarian crap so much you see everything through is false narrative.
    Last edited by Chris; 06-19-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread