User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: An Olympic hopeful blames a burrito for her positive drug test...

  1. #1

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 185,689, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    180249
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    31,844
    Points
    185,689
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,365
    Thanked 25,511x in 14,029 Posts
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post An Olympic hopeful blames a burrito for her positive drug test...

    An Olympic hopeful blames a burrito for her positive drug test...

    ezgif-2-57a529bd6d02.jpg

    Shelby Houlihan, the middle-distance runner who currently holds two U.S. records, says she's been banned from the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for the steroid nandrolone. Houlihan says she's clean and is blaming the test result on a pork burrito she got from a food truck.
    Anti-doping officials don't agree with the runner. They've handed Houlihan a four-year ban, just before U.S. Olympic trials for the track and field team will begin in Eugene, Ore., this weekend.
    "I feel completely devastated, lost, broken, angry, confused and betrayed by the very sport that I've loved and poured myself into just to see how good I was," Houlihan said in an announcement on her Instagram feed.
    Houlihan, 28, is now banned from this year's Summer Olympics as well as the Paris Olympics in 2024. She pledged to fight the ban, which would sideline her during what could be the prime years of her career.

    Shelby_Houlihan_at_US_track_and_field_in_2018.jpg


    5233b550-bab9-4f84-bfd7-81d1865e5803_1920x1080.jpg


    rs_1200x1200-210615053721-1200-Shelby-Houlihan.jpg


    GIF-HERO-parachute-protestor.gif


    https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/10066...e=morning_brew
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

    carolina73 (06-18-2021),donttread (06-20-2021),pragmatic (06-20-2021)

  3. #2
    Original Ranter
    Points: 684,099, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    462902
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    198,518
    Points
    684,099
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    129,285
    Thanked 113,886x in 73,885 Posts
    Mentioned
    2414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard about this on the radio yesterday. They brought up a scientific study that said if you eat pork you might pop hot on a specific test.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    carolina73 (06-18-2021)

  5. #3
    Points: 57,498, Level: 58
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    19007
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    23,050
    Points
    57,498
    Level
    58
    Thanks Given
    22,093
    Thanked 18,999x in 12,142 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Heard about this on the radio yesterday. They brought up a scientific study that said if you eat pork you might pop hot on a specific test.
    A runner that eats burritos from road side trucks?

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

    Daily Bread (06-18-2021),Peter1469 (06-18-2021)

  7. #4
    Points: 8,925, Level: 22
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2773
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3,396
    Points
    8,925
    Level
    22
    Thanks Given
    4,596
    Thanked 2,763x in 1,748 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    A runner that eats burritos from road side trucks?
    Proteins. Some carbs from the shell. Even the very careful eaters salivate when certain foods are within reach.
    When an argument cannot be sustained on proven facts, devolve to opinions and anger, that always works.

  8. #5
    Points: 57,498, Level: 58
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    19007
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    23,050
    Points
    57,498
    Level
    58
    Thanks Given
    22,093
    Thanked 18,999x in 12,142 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Proteins. Some carbs from the shell. Even the very careful eaters salivate when certain foods are within reach.
    Maybe. Maybe she has to work hard to jut keep weight on and does not have to be careful. It just sounds contradictory.

  9. #6
    Original Ranter
    Points: 684,099, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    462902
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    198,518
    Points
    684,099
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    129,285
    Thanked 113,886x in 73,885 Posts
    Mentioned
    2414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Maybe. Maybe she has to work hard to jut keep weight on and does not have to be careful. It just sounds contradictory.

    Olympic athletes eat insane amount of calories to fuel their training.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Collateral Damage (06-18-2021)

  11. #7
    Points: 138,755, Level: 89
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    83652
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43,581
    Points
    138,755
    Level
    89
    Thanks Given
    8,957
    Thanked 15,617x in 11,475 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    An Olympic hopeful blames a burrito for her positive drug test...

    Attachment 39897

    Shelby Houlihan, the middle-distance runner who currently holds two U.S. records, says she's been banned from the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for the steroid nandrolone. Houlihan says she's clean and is blaming the test result on a pork burrito she got from a food truck.
    Anti-doping officials don't agree with the runner. They've handed Houlihan a four-year ban, just before U.S. Olympic trials for the track and field team will begin in Eugene, Ore., this weekend.
    "I feel completely devastated, lost, broken, angry, confused and betrayed by the very sport that I've loved and poured myself into just to see how good I was," Houlihan said in an announcement on her Instagram feed.
    Houlihan, 28, is now banned from this year's Summer Olympics as well as the Paris Olympics in 2024. She pledged to fight the ban, which would sideline her during what could be the prime years of her career.

    Attachment 39898


    Attachment 39899


    Attachment 39900


    Attachment 39901


    https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/10066...e=morning_brew

    If she really is clean and that's a big if, this is awful. These calls should have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't know the science on this but i do know cold capsules used to pop amphetamine on drug test to the point where we basically ignored positives on older people. I also know we eat a lot of chemicals, including several banned elsewhere.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    pragmatic (06-20-2021)

  13. #8
    Points: 11,597, Level: 25
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2079
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    West of Pixley
    Posts
    2,664
    Points
    11,597
    Level
    25
    Thanks Given
    1,810
    Thanked 1,604x in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    If she really is clean and that's a big if, this is awful. These calls should have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't know the science on this but i do know cold capsules used to pop amphetamine on drug test to the point where we basically ignored positives on older people. I also know we eat a lot of chemicals, including several banned elsewhere.
    Have read an amount of the details on this story. Sounds like she is more a victim of overzealous testing than she is a cheater.

    Hopefully she gets some relief. For competitors at this level their sport becomes an obsessive lifestyle. For Houlihan this ban has to be devastating.

    ..

    Volvo

    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

    donttread (06-21-2021),Peter1469 (06-20-2021)

  15. #9
    Points: 50,135, Level: 54
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    308280
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    17,585
    Points
    50,135
    Level
    54
    Thanks Given
    3,338
    Thanked 14,388x in 8,357 Posts
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    If she really is clean and that's a big if, this is awful. These calls should have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't know the science on this but i do know cold capsules used to pop amphetamine on drug test to the point where we basically ignored positives on older people. I also know we eat a lot of chemicals, including several banned elsewhere.
    Any number of things can cause a false positive for amphetamines on a screening test - OTC decongestants and antihistamines, diet products, weight training powders, etc. - but a GC/MS confirmation test will only show positive for amphetamine or methamphetamine, and it will tell you which one it is. There are a hundred websites out there that will "inform" you that, for example, aspirin will cause a false positive for THC or that tonic water can cause a false positive for cocaine, but inevitably they're just trying to sell you something - usually some useless substance that will allegedly "clean out" your system and guarantee a negative drug test, whether you're taking illegal substances or just eating and drinking the normal stuff.

    Houlihan stated that a hair test she submitted to was negative for nandrolone. The thing is, that really proves nothing because not all substances are retained in the hair follicle for very long, if at all. Hair tests are notoriously bad at detecting THC use, for instance. Then, too, blood flow into the hair follicle, which is what causes a drug to be stored there, just isn't very good in some individuals. I had one man before me who tested positive for cocaine every single week by urinalysis testing for almost two years, and negative on his monthly hair test.

    The pork-nandrolone connection sounds pretty thin, and may very well be a desperation move on the part of this athlete and her people. If you do enough digging on the Internet you can always find something to support the claim you're making.
    "Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

    "If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed...walk it off." - Captain America in Captain America: Civil War


  16. #10
    Original Ranter
    Points: 684,099, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    462902
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    198,518
    Points
    684,099
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    129,285
    Thanked 113,886x in 73,885 Posts
    Mentioned
    2414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Any number of things can cause a false positive for amphetamines on a screening test - OTC decongestants and antihistamines, diet products, weight training powders, etc. - but a GC/MS confirmation test will only show positive for amphetamine or methamphetamine, and it will tell you which one it is. There are a hundred websites out there that will "inform" you that, for example, aspirin will cause a false positive for THC or that tonic water can cause a false positive for cocaine, but inevitably they're just trying to sell you something - usually some useless substance that will allegedly "clean out" your system and guarantee a negative drug test, whether you're taking illegal substances or just eating and drinking the normal stuff.

    Houlihan stated that a hair test she submitted to was negative for nandrolone. The thing is, that really proves nothing because not all substances are retained in the hair follicle for very long, if at all. Hair tests are notoriously bad at detecting THC use, for instance. Then, too, blood flow into the hair follicle, which is what causes a drug to be stored there, just isn't very good in some individuals. I had one man before me who tested positive for cocaine every single week by urinalysis testing for almost two years, and negative on his monthly hair test.

    The pork-nandrolone connection sounds pretty thin, and may very well be a desperation move on the part of this athlete and her people. If you do enough digging on the Internet you can always find something to support the claim you're making.
    I saw something about a study on pork and popping hot on these tests. Not sure if I posted it above or not. The factory farmed pigs are seriously drugged up.

    Hair samples are a problem because you can't date them. That is why the military doesn't use hair samples for drug tests.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ


+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts