User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the surprising return of a forgotten Nintendo game...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,046x in 24,877 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post the surprising return of a forgotten Nintendo game...

the surprising return of a forgotten Nintendo game...

ezgif-4-c16c7664ac85.jpg

On the lists of “games you’ll likely never play,” one Nintendo game has made frequent appearances: Metroid Dread. The supposed sequel to the beloved Metroid Fusion, released on Game Boy Advance in 2002, was first rumored in early 2005 to be readying for launch on the then-new Nintendo DS. But months later, the rumors changed from “coming soon” to “canceled,” dashing fans’ hopes of a Fusion follow-up.

Nintendo never confirmed nor denied the existence of the game at the time, let alone that it had been in any kind of development; in later years, when announcing new Metroid games, Nintendo would clarify that the new project had nothing to do with the storied Dread. But video-game fans subsist on leaks and gossip and morsels of possibility, so Metroid Dread became a sort of Holy Grail for Nintendo-heads: a fabled new adventure in the saga of Samus Aran, a space bounty hunter whose games are defined by their non-linear cave-excavating, grotesque monsters, and laser beam-filled action.

dread.jpg

MD.gif

ezgif-4-1763ae35db31.gif

099.gif

https://slate.com/culture/2021/06/me...h-e3-2021.html
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-24-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an Atari- the only game consul we ever owned. Once I got a PC I only played PC games.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-24-2021)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infections! Vaccines! Face coverings! Social distancing! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnn!!

Seriously though, as you might've guessed, I followed E3 pretty closely and Metroid Dread really does look like it'll be a lot of fun. The announcement took me by surprise too! Matter-of-factly, to me at least, it was the best surprise of the entire event! The graphics don't impress me that much so far. It's mainly the bland color scheme and the one-sidedly mechanical vibe of it all that I dislike. Not against a limited color palette, but many of the combinations I'm seeing as yet look pretty generic and boring and the whole thing feels more cartoony than I can take all that seriously, or at least as seriously as I'm supposed to. But what I do like is a lot of the water effects, the lightning-fast pacing, the E.M.M.I. horror element, the seamless transitioning between 2D and 3D scenes, and what sure seems like the sheer breadth of the world available to explore and discover here. And also the promise of a definitive conclusion to the metroid saga! And also also, Samus's new suit. I know I just complained about the art style overall here, but I'm giving the suit a pass on that 'cause it just looks cool!

What I'm expecting here is for Super Metroid and the Prime games to remain my favorites in the franchise, but Dread looks like it has the potential to become my second-favorite 2D Metroid title. That it's bein' made by the people who gave us Samus Returns is alrighty by me. I found Samus Returns imperfect (a bit more action-focused than I'd really prefer for this franchise), but the best Metroid title in a decade when it was released back in 2017. This looks way smoother and more refined than Samus Returns, I might add. The $60 asking price took me aback when I first saw it because I'm still not used to seeing that high a price requested for a 2D game, but then I looked at the storage space it requires and felt like there sure seems to be a lot of content here, so...maybe there's half a reason after all. At any rate, I'll gladly pay it! I mean I doubt this will be among the best-selling games on the Switch, but I also don't care. Metroid has never been Nintendo's most popular franchise and I'm okay with that. I DON'T want another Federation Force type experiment aimed at expanding the franchise's appeal at the cost of its soul. And honestly, I'm so starved for more space bounties to hunt that I'll pay about any price for the chance, especially if it promises all that this game does.

If you're not familiar with this franchise, Metroid is iconic for two main reasons: 1) the original popularized non-linear exploration in 2D games back in the '80s, and 2) the original was the first action console game to use a (human) female protagonist. The latter point was actually intended as a kind of surprise twist because she's completely covered in her armored suit until you beat the game, whereupon you get to see a screen of her without it if you beat the game fast enough. In fact, the instruction manual for the game goes as far with this as to throw you off by using male pronouns to describe her. (Which was only true for the original game. Manuals for subsequent Metroid titles used female pronouns, now that the proverbial cat was out of the bag.) For this reason, Samus Aran as a character used to be considered a sort of feminist icon of the gaming world. The fan-favorite entries are Super Metroid for the Super NES, released in 1994, and Metroid Prime for the GameCube, released in 2002, which are also my faves. Super Metroid is known for introducing numerous quality-of-life enhancements that made the experience far more practical and also for its emotional, if subdued, storyline that, among other things, has a metroid, the main creatures Samus is tasked with eradicating, come to her aid and sacrifice itself in the final fight against the main villain Ripley. I shed a tear when that happened. Seriously! The original Metroid Prime for the GameCube was the next entry in the series and is iconic for introducing a first-person perspective that franchise fans have absolutely loved.

Nintendo largely stopped releasing new Metroid games after a 2010 Wii titled called Metroid: Other M because fans (including me) were disappointed by its lame storyline that reinvents Samus as a shrieking dip$#@! regular soldier who's tasked with learning to follow orders to the point that she's forbidden to even defend herself without being commanded to first rather than being a badass bounty hunter (which also greatly reduces quality-of-life for the player). The subsequent entry, the aforementioned Metroid Prime: Federation Force that I griped about before, was released five years later only for a handheld system and ditches Samus as the player character entirely in favor of a multiplayer format and all too Nintendo cute-ified designs. (Metroid has traditionally stood out as Nintendo's one ongoing first-party franchise that was more thematically and aesthetically adult, and also as their only ongoing franchise centering a female character.) To every Metroid fan I know of, Federation Force is the worst game in the series by several miles. The game faced historically unprecedented backlash online upon its announcement, with the announcement trailer receiving what up to that point was an all-time record-breaking number of down-votes for any video posted to YouTube. That's how much people hated it! Two years later Nintendo released another Metroid game for the handheld 3DS system unsubtly titled Samus Returns that was a much bigger hit. Substantively though, it was technically a remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus for the Game Boy, though the game play experience was hard to recognize (it was that much better). Metroid Dread is an all-new adventure that reportedly will follow and add to much of the game play template established in Samus Returns (YaY!) and will narratively directly follow Metroid Fusion (Game Boy Advance, 2002), reportedly concluding the metroid saga.

That doesn't mean Dread will be the last Metroid game though. On the contrary, a major game called Metroid Prime 4 -- the first mainline entry in the Prime series since 2007 -- has been in development for several years already and is just about the most hotly anticipated game yet to be released for the Switch. (Realistically, Prime 4 will come out in 2023.) A proper trailer for Metroid Prime 4 was what franchise fans were anticipating from this year's E3. Instead we got a whole new Metroid game out of nowhere that's due out this year! That was pretty exciting! Though it does implicitly confirm that Prime 4 remains a ways off yet.

Bottom Line: I'm hyped too!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-24-2021 at 06:38 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-24-2021),Peter1469 (06-24-2021)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polly, I have been playing PC games forever, even before DukeNukem, I was addicted to the first pc game Pong, they put arcade machines in bars...and the bar I hung out at when I came home the owner and I were addicted and dueled constantly...before that we were chess addicts and had a vicious competitive thing going on.

I finally moved to the original wolfenstein, then doom, then quake, I almost lost my job over my Quake 1 addition. I played all through the quake series and finally when activision ended it, I had no where to go so I played Microsofts Battlefield for a short minute.

In 2005 I started playing War of Warcraft, they call that version "Vanilla" now and they have recreated it as Classic World of Warfare..hence refered to as WOW...Ive been playing it every since...I am currently in a guild that 1000 strong.
    I had forays into the Alliance side of the game and at various points leveled them to max...but I am horde at heart

Im still playing, I guess im one of the oldest guys and those playing it the longest...my dexterity isnt what it was nor my intensity but it keeps my head working. When I first started it was Barrens chat..which by many at the time thought to be vulgar cuz there was the occasional P word by young boys and there was ALOT of talk about girls constantly

Today its called General chat and its UTTERLY DISGUSTING...the chat is about boys doing things to other boys and just all around reflects what liberalism has done to our youth....

Im stll playing but I turn chat off...it used to be fun no more..
    KEEP PLAYING Polly it keeps the head going
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Polly, I have been playing PC games forever, even before DukeNukem, I was addicted to the first pc game Pong, they put arcade machines in bars...and the bar I hung out at when I came home the owner and I were addicted and dueled constantly...before that we were chess addicts and had a vicious competitive thing going on.
    Whoa! Pong is well-known these days, of course, but in its own day it wasn't actually much of a hit. It was just the first arcade game to actually turn a profit, and turning a profit was a big deal for an arcade video game for most of the 1970s. The first real hit that cemented video gaming as a mainstream cultural phenomenon was Space Invaders, which didn't come out until 1978. Before then, video gaming was really just a novelty. If you were into Pong (1972) at the arcades back in the day before Space Invaders came out, that's...legendary!

I finally moved to the original wolfenstein, then doom, then quake, I almost lost my job over my Quake 1 addition. I played all through the quake series and finally when activision ended it, I had no where to go so I played Microsofts Battlefield for a short minute.
    Oh I remember Quake-mania back in the '90s and early 2000s. The smelly conventions and tournaments legendary for body odor, partially-eaten pizza slices and empty soda cans strewn about the floor, and $100 victory prizes. $100!! People back then clearly played for love of the game, NOT to become millionaires. I miss that.

Didja ever hear about the all-female Quake tournament of '97?

In 2005 I started playing War of Warcraft, they call that version "Vanilla" now and they have recreated it as Classic World of Warfare..hence refered to as WOW...Ive been playing it every since...I am currently in a guild that 1000 strong.
    I had forays into the Alliance side of the game and at various points leveled them to max...but I am horde at heart
    Im still playing, I guess im one of the oldest guys and those playing it the longest...my dexterity isnt what it was nor my intensity but it keeps my head working. When I first started it was Barrens chat..which by many at the time thought to be vulgar cuz there was the occasional P word by young boys and there was ALOT of talk about girls constantly.

Today its called General chat and its UTTERLY DISGUSTING...the chat is about boys doing things to other boys and just all around reflects what liberalism has done to our youth....

Im stll playing but I turn chat off...it used to be fun no more..
    I never did get into Warcraft (any of it). Besides the seeming commonality of addiction and the misogynistic rep that users had, it just never seemed like my kinda game. My preference is most often for single-player games built around a narrative. The Last of Us Part II is my favorite. It's a post-apocalyptic Western. Here's a glimpse of one small part of it.

(The trailer's a little misleading at a couple points to keep people from guessing too many details of the story direction in advance, but you'll get some idea of part of the story here. Enough for our purposes anyway.)

KEEP PLAYING Polly it keeps the head going
    It helps me find peace, honestly. I will absolutely keep playing. You too!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 07-06-2021 at 07:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread