User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: burnout runs deeper than "too much work."

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,636x in 25,171 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post burnout runs deeper than "too much work."

burnout runs deeper than "too much work."

giphy (1) (8).gif

Burnout — a state of physical and emotional exhaustion often followed by apathy and illness — is ubiquitous across industries. Physicians, businesspeople, artists, teachers, and athletes all have high rates of burnout. As a matter of fact, most studies show that between 40 and 50 percent of people are experiencing burnout at any given time. This is cause for great concern. Research shows that burnout and underperformance go hand-in-hand. Physical (e.g., speed, strength), cognitive (e.g., alertness, focus, creativity), and emotional (e.g., patience, resilience) ability all decline. And this is to say nothing of individual human suffering and lost potential that accompanies burnout.

The most commonly discussed way to reduce burnout is to change how we work. We need to take more breaks, disconnect from our digital devices, get more sleep, and exercise. All of this can be true, no doubt. At a bare minimum, if you aren’t respecting the cycle of stress + rest = growth, you probably won’t last long, at least not too long. But there’s another driver of burnout that isn’t discussed nearly as often and is every bit, if not more, important. It’s one of the main findings we uncovered in The Passion Paradox: the difference between harmonious and obsessive passion. This is much more about why we work.

Harmonious passion is when an individual becomes completely absorbed in an activity because they love how the activity itself makes them feel. Obsessive passion is when an individual gets hooked on something because of external rewards; read: fame, fortune, a promotion, or in this day and age, social media followers. Obsessive passion is firmly linked with burnout.

toss.gif

blatt.gif

bad day.gif

ezgif-7-9593dc75f6cd.jpg

https://thegrowtheq.com/burnout-runs...too-much-work/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-21-2021),IMPress Polly (06-24-2021),Peter1469 (06-21-2021)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life has gotten more complex, more uncertain, less stable, less honest, much harder to make a living, more confusing, more ridiculous and confusing and frightening.

THe cancel culture has everyone afraid of even talking...when you have to acutually "SCREEN" everything you want to say before you say because you are in fear of your job...think how STRESSFUL that is in itself.

Thin about the lies of the Woke corporate culture, where 14% of the population is in 90% of all woke tv commercials

Anyone wonder why theres a higher rate of burnout today and of course its not all just about WORK burning you out...because theres alot less people that work or are even willing to work today than before.. Our youth would rather mindlessly riot and destroy property and hurt other people.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-21-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find exercise to be the biggest help with burnout. And sleep. I don't bring my cell phone into the bedroom.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-21-2021),Common (06-21-2021),IMPress Polly (06-24-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,818x in 15,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing something you love or enjoy, whether it's your earning work or hobby greatly diminishes burnout, IMHO. For me it was/is wood working even if it was just cleaning or straightening the shop after a 10 - 12 or longer day.

My worst burnout times were large jobs with serious time constraints. Working 12 hour days more or less, 20 to 30 days in a row takes a toll.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-21-2021),Peter1469 (06-21-2021)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can identify with loss of autonomy as a factor in burnout. The last 5 or so years that I was working saw our European corporate head office imposing more and more on the way that we worked - not in a beneficial way. Methods that work for massive operations with separate units for everything from soup to nuts, doesn't work well for smaller operations where people must wear more than one hat. Strike one was when we were forced to adopt the global insurance platform (which they spent 14 years and over a billion dollars designing), which was/is a hideous and technologically backward beast of a system but an accountant's delight yet in terms of the work that I was doing, couldn't be less flexible or poorly designed if they set out to deliberately sabotage us.

We had to abandon a much newer, far more flexible and efficient system which we designed in-house for a fraction of the money (the global system being a platform that they purchased and modified) and in which I personally worked with with the programmers to make the Claims subsystem tailored to be as user friendly, intuitive and efficient as humanly possible. Development took about 4 years and it was rolled out to all of the international units (any office not in Europe) well before the Global system was launched. It was eventually recognized by Head Office that we had the better system, but since they had invested over a billion dollars in the beast, they couldn't tell the shareholders that they had just wasted all of that money, so we were forced to give up our beautiful system in favor of crap. Worse still, the data migrators were lazy and often refused to do the work to capture historical data properly, so the data we ended up with was unreliable beyond about 10 years. Our actuaries were not pleased, however we did retain the old data in a data warehouse that could be otherwise accessed. Not efficient.

Strike two was when they disallowed access to our data via our preferred reporting tool (which worked with their system) and forced us to use canned reports that they designed (and didn't allow us to design) that didn't provide the data that we or our colleagues in other departments required for business decisions. This forced us to extract data via several reports and either manually recompile them or use the aforementioned reporting tool to recompile the data. The other alternative was data dumps, but those had to be scheduled and were not useful for spontaneous requests for data. Not efficient.

Strike three was when they moved the data entry process to another department filled with people who had no understanding of claims, including the set-up of files. I wouldn't have objected so much if it only applied to processing transactions, but file set-up requires some knowledge of the claim. In the end, what was typically accomplished properly in a very few minutes, ended up being a process of having to revisit new setups via a report, searching for missed data. Not efficient. Furthermore, moving the transactions also meant that all transactions over a certain value had to be approved by Claims - so now instead of processing a transaction myself subsequent to reading any documentation, which I would have to read anyway, I was now checking what was processed and if it was incorrect, sending it back to be corrected and resubmitted. Not efficient.

Strike four was when they incomprehensibly imposed a second form of reporting that required the re-entry of data that was already available in the data warehouse to produce reports that no one in our organization wanted to see and almost no one in the head office wanted to see! Not efficient.

While the best part of my work, the handling of the files themselves i.e. the actual claims work, was unaffected, the demands on my time for stupidity (and I didn't list all of it), ultimately eroded my job satisfaction. I ended up feeling more tired of the work and although I didn't have to retire, in fact they would have preferred that I didn't retire, I wasn't enjoying the work anymore.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 06-21-2021 at 09:41 AM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-21-2021),IMPress Polly (06-24-2021),Peter1469 (06-21-2021)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,265x in 12,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before I made one of the best decisions I ever made in my life last year and retired, I used to find myself dreaming about my job pretty frequently - like my mind didn't want to stop doing the job, even when I was supposed to be resting. They weren't always nightmares, exactly, but they always involved my having to deal with complex situations and make important decisions that affected other people, and I'm sure that as a result I wasn't receiving a lot of the benefits that sleep is supposed to provide.

About the only stress and pressure I feel now is related directly to worrying about my close family members and their work, lives and welfare. (Being the designated worrier for the family, I guess that's a job I'll never really be able to retire from.)
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-21-2021),IMPress Polly (06-24-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do something you love you will never have to work a day in your life. I could probably sell motorcycles or sailboats until the end of time and never be bored or "burnt out". I love working on transportation issues for the railroads. I have been doing that in one form or another for over 50 years and doubt that I will quit doing that either.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-21-2021),Dr. Who (06-21-2021)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I find exercise to be the biggest help with burnout. And sleep. I don't bring my cell phone into the bedroom.
    without exercise I feel like crap and at my age I cant afford NOT to exercise, once you stop your done..
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-24-2021)

+ Reply to Thread