Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I remember them for sure! They were kinda cool.
    Although these days I do notice the insertion of apparently necessary disclaimers like this:
    "Sarah Schulman: It grew very quickly. It was also a very radical and open organization. Anyone could be in the Avengers if they were willing to fight for lesbian visibility, so it was the opposite of “terf-y.” We voted 99 to one to include trans women and men and were part of the group of people who created Camp Trans."
    Camp Trans was that tiny group of people who protested outside the annual Michigan Womyn's Music Festival (attendance roughly 98% lesbian) most every year between 1993 and 2010, complaining that they bafflingly weren't allowed in without an invitation because they were male transgender. Camp Trans ultimately dissolved from corruption and infighting several years before MichFests stopped being held, but the gender identity movement did eventually succeed in cancelling the event forever, which was sad because it was the largest annual gathering of lesbians in the country. It's likewise kind of sad to me that nowadays you have to justify your right to be a lesbian activist by mentioning your role in actively dismantling other parts of lesbian culture because not all of it has been politically correct. Sometimes I likewise wish you didn't have to volunteer that your definition of "lesbian" includes women of all sexes, and thus heterosexuality.
    Still, the net impact of the Dyke March and the Lesbian Avengers back in the '90s was definitely positive for lesbian visibility and increased awareness of lesbian-specific social issues. It's actually, like I said, how I became aware that there were others like me that way, even if it took me much longer to really wrap my around how it all applied to me fully.
    Having grown up with and went to school with a friend who was straight then bi then lesbian, I've had an interesting perspective on the path that some walk. Trying to 'conform to the norm' as she put caused a great deal of heartache for her.

I've never heard of either group, but since I'm straight, I guess there are things that went on I wasn't aware of. She just was her, I didn't ask a whole lot of questions, just accepted.

What would be the purpose of 'visibility'? People are not invisible, act like a human, be treated like a human. Sexuality isn't something most people advertise unless they are seeking something from it.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-30-2021)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,719x in 4,391 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So are you no longer attracted to men?
    It's complicated and difficult to explain. I've always felt mostly attracted to girls/women (as applicable to my age) my whole life, though I have conned myself into believing I was attracted to guys too just for the sake of my own psyche in the past. It might've been true, but it's hard to tell. You and others who have been here for years might recall my mentioning a relationship with a guy named Matt that was an on-and-off thing that lasted for a good while. That wasn't a healthy relationship, and I say that with sympathy toward him. My relationship with my current girlfriend Jetzel feels about a hundred times more genuine and natural and it's really making me think that maybe I was never actually bisexual at all. If I ever was, it was a fluid thing that's totally gone now.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-30-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    PaulyWalnuts's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 283x in 181 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is too much info about carpet munchers

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,719x in 4,391 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Having grown up with and went to school with a friend who was straight then bi then lesbian, I've had an interesting perspective on the path that some walk. Trying to 'conform to the norm' as she put caused a great deal of heartache for her.

I've never heard of either group, but since I'm straight, I guess there are things that went on I wasn't aware of. She just was her, I didn't ask a whole lot of questions, just accepted.

What would be the purpose of 'visibility'? People are not invisible, act like a human, be treated like a human. Sexuality isn't something most people advertise unless they are seeking something from it.
    Having support is a very important thing when you're that age and just figuring $#@! out. I'm sure she appreciated it!

Anyway, you know, I'd bet that a lot of people probably have seen a story about something like the Dyke March or the Lesbian Avengers in the news at some point in the past, but it just didn't stick with them like it did for me because it was just a lot more relevant to my life, so they forgot they ever saw it.

As to the question of visibility, well let me just point out that heterosexuality is "advertised" all the time, all day long, everyday. It's a feature of like every song on the radio of the store I work at throughout my entire work day. It's in nearly every movie, video game, and TV show and certainly in any waiting line of any length. It's discussed openly on about every web site without shame on a regular basis. And it's the only valid sexuality according to most religious organizations. Lesbian relationships? Mm, not so much. Heterosexuality has been celebrated and praised and gay relationships and gay people have traditionally been belittled, stigmatized, vilified, and even persecuted. My point is that heterosexuality is so visible in our society and culture that you just take it for granted, not even thinking about how you might feel if that constant cultural validation weren't there.

I was channel surfing waiting for South Park to air last weekend when I stumbled on this adorable kid's action cartoon aimed at the 8 to 14-year old demographic on the Disney Channel called The Owl House. It was just delightful! At more than one point, I noticed the main protagonist and another girl blushed when they spoke to each other in kindly terms in one episode. That was all there seemed to be to it going on, but you know, that's a simple example of something that just wasn't there when I was a kid. I wish there had been a show like that. Because my parents actively discouraged me from even play-acting lady weddings with my toys. They weren't going to validate my internal reality. Neither were kids at school, or the church, or even the state government here in liberal Vermont at the time. It would've made a real difference just to feel like less of a freak. That's what I'm talking about with respect to visibility. The Dyke March was something that gave me a clue I wasn't totally alone in feeling the way I did. It meant something to me.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-30-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Having support is a very important thing when you're that age and just figuring $#@! out. I'm sure she appreciated it!
    Anyway, you know, I'd bet that a lot of people probably have seen a story about something like the Dyke March or the Lesbian Avengers in the news at some point in the past, but it just didn't stick with them like it did for me because it was just a lot more relevant to my life, so they forgot they ever saw it.
    As to the question of visibility, well let me just point out that heterosexuality is "advertised" all the time, all day long, everyday. It's a feature of like every song on the radio of the store I work at throughout my entire work day. It's in nearly every movie, video game, and TV show and certainly in any waiting line of any length. It's discussed openly on about every web site without shame on a regular basis. And it's the only valid sexuality according to most religious organizations. Lesbian relationships? Mm, not so much. Heterosexuality has been celebrated and praised and gay relationships and gay people have traditionally been belittled, stigmatized, vilified, and even persecuted. My point is that heterosexuality is so visible in our society and culture that you just take it for granted, not even thinking about how you might feel if that constant cultural validation weren't there.
    I was channel surfing waiting for South Park to air last weekend when I stumbled on this adorable kid's action cartoon aimed at the 8 to 14-year old demographic on the Disney Channel called The Owl House. It was just delightful! At more than one point, I noticed the main protagonist and another girl blushed when they spoke to each other in kindly terms in one episode. That was all there seemed to be to it going on, but you know, that's a simple example of something that just wasn't there when I was a kid. I wish there had been a show like that. Because my parents actively discouraged me from even play-acting lady weddings with my toys. They weren't going to validate my internal reality. Neither were kids at school, or the church, or even the state government here in liberal Vermont at the time. It would've made a real difference just to feel like less of a freak. That's what I'm talking about with respect to visibility. The Dyke March was something that gave me a clue I wasn't totally alone in feeling the way I did. It meant something to me.
    My friend was (she left us way too young to cancer) so relieved to 'find herself', that was about 2 years or so into testing the waters of lesbian-hood. She still didn't know if that was where she belonged, so when she finally got comfortable, she really relaxed.

I have friends from many walks of life, sexuality, every different skin tone out there. I guess none of us are 'activists', just go about leading our lives as we are. I'll have to inquire if those groups are known to any of them. I'm sure they've heard of them, but I highly doubt involvement.

As to your taste in TV viewing, uh no. I'll take mindless reruns of Criminal Intent before South Park.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

+ Reply to Thread