User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Man, a Dog, a Walk Around the World

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,048x in 24,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post A Man, a Dog, a Walk Around the World

A Man, a Dog, a Walk Around the World - In 2015, Tom Turcich set out to circumnavigate the globe by foot. He has been walking ever since.

original_lede.jpg

There are many ways to walk. One may stride or stroll. Or amble, ramble, mosey, or wander—all of which imply a certain leisurely aimlessness when, bestowed with the grand luxuries of time and of money, there is nowhere in particular to be and nothing in particular to do.

Yet there are also more determined, more decisive forms of traveling on foot—hiking, trekking, tramping, and trooping, among them. These convey a sense of purpose or of place, the elements that lend structure and meaning, even if mundane, to the path ahead. One might commute long stretches of concrete, going city block after city block, only to reach an endpoint as ordinary as the office. Or one might traverse, on something like a spiritual pilgrimage, a distance deemed to be iconic, say the height of Mount Everest or the length of the Great Wall. But no matter where one walks, each journey unfolds in fundamentally the same way: one foot after the other, one step at a time.

Tom Turcich, on a mission to circumnavigate the world by foot, has walked all of these ways. Since leaving his home in New Jersey in April 2015, the 32-year-old has rescued a puppy named Lulu in Texas whom he now calls Savannah, been held up at knifepoint in Panama, and halted by life-threatening sickness in Scotland. He has celebrated the nuptials of strangers in Turkey and waited out a global pandemic in Azerbaijan, returning to the U.S. multiple times along the way, for recovery following his illness, for rest, for visas, and for a COVID vaccine. What he once expected to be a continuous five-year journey will be a piecemeal seven-year one. Currently in Kyrgyzstan, with 39 countries and 19,000 miles behind them, Turcich and Savannah still have a few countries and a few thousand miles to go, and they’ll likely return to the U.S. at least once more before they finish in order to avoid winter in Mongolia and being blocked from the border of Australia, which is still closed to travelers. But there’s no question they will finish. That, he assures us.

original_tom_1.jpg

original_savannah_1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

original_Az-3-15-9(s).jpg

https://www.afar.com/magazine/tom-tu...=pocket-newtab
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

donttread (08-08-2021)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a new industry of people traveling for a living that depend on donations and sponsors. Make videos and pass the hat. Thanks to "shoe brand" for sending me these new sneaker. The most comfortable I ever had...

I do get hooked on the sailing videos. I could do that, but these now appear to be careers.
    Last edited by carolina73; 06-30-2021 at 08:33 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-30-2021),RMNIXON (06-30-2021)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    There seems to be a new industry of people traveling for a living that depend on donations and sponsors. Make videos and pass the hat. Thanks to "shoe brand" for sending me these new sneaker. The most comfortable I ever had...

I do get hooked on the sailing videos. I could do that, but these now appear to be careers.
    There are far, far easier and less dangerous ways to make a living.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-30-2021),donttread (08-08-2021)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does he walk over the oceans or does that count?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    There are far, far easier and less dangerous ways to make a living.
    But all the time they stop overs make it worth it. On these sailing routes, I think I would not be comfortable without an RPG in certain areas.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    But all the time they stop overs make it worth it. On these sailing routes, I think I would not be comfortable without an RPG in certain areas.
    Back in the early '80s, when I was stationed for a while in Rota, Spain, I got this idea to hike over they Pyrenees to France. Of course I was much, much younger and healthier in those days, and I could probably have done it, but the command put the kibosh on my plan - said it was too dangerous, with the ETA (Basque separatists) a concern, and the possibility that I might be treated as a spy or whatever, or simply robbed and killed. I guess, from reading about it now, that there are ways to do it that are relatively safe, particularly if done with a group, but I really wanted to do it alone.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    A Man, a Dog, a Walk Around the World - In 2015, Tom Turcich set out to circumnavigate the globe by foot. He has been walking ever since.

Attachment 40470

There are many ways to walk. One may stride or stroll. Or amble, ramble, mosey, or wander—all of which imply a certain leisurely aimlessness when, bestowed with the grand luxuries of time and of money, there is nowhere in particular to be and nothing in particular to do.

Yet there are also more determined, more decisive forms of traveling on foot—hiking, trekking, tramping, and trooping, among them. These convey a sense of purpose or of place, the elements that lend structure and meaning, even if mundane, to the path ahead. One might commute long stretches of concrete, going city block after city block, only to reach an endpoint as ordinary as the office. Or one might traverse, on something like a spiritual pilgrimage, a distance deemed to be iconic, say the height of Mount Everest or the length of the Great Wall. But no matter where one walks, each journey unfolds in fundamentally the same way: one foot after the other, one step at a time.

Tom Turcich, on a mission to circumnavigate the world by foot, has walked all of these ways. Since leaving his home in New Jersey in April 2015, the 32-year-old has rescued a puppy named Lulu in Texas whom he now calls Savannah, been held up at knifepoint in Panama, and halted by life-threatening sickness in Scotland. He has celebrated the nuptials of strangers in Turkey and waited out a global pandemic in Azerbaijan, returning to the U.S. multiple times along the way, for recovery following his illness, for rest, for visas, and for a COVID vaccine. What he once expected to be a continuous five-year journey will be a piecemeal seven-year one. Currently in Kyrgyzstan, with 39 countries and 19,000 miles behind them, Turcich and Savannah still have a few countries and a few thousand miles to go, and they’ll likely return to the U.S. at least once more before they finish in order to avoid winter in Mongolia and being blocked from the border of Australia, which is still closed to travelers. But there’s no question they will finish. That, he assures us.

Attachment 40471

Attachment 40472

Attachment 40474

Attachment 40473

https://www.afar.com/magazine/tom-tu...=pocket-newtab

There are some incredible stories out there. There is also a joke here somewhere about living in Jersey.

+ Reply to Thread