User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How a band with one album became the sound of the original Space Jam...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,033x in 24,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post How a band with one album became the sound of the original Space Jam...

How a band with one album became the sound of the original Space Jam...

ezgif-2-4ef88a2e8686.jpg

Like a rookie making their debut by hitting a Game 7 buzzer-beater,nobody saw Quad City DJ’s coming. Though not yet a household name when Space Jam debuted in 1996, the Florida trio’s theme song for the movie bounced across a digitally animated stage crawling with rabbits, basketball superstars, and aliens and into seemingly every pair of speakers around the world. “I have pictures of Michael [Jordan] pulling up at the premiere … and he told me that it was his two boys’ favorite song on the soundtrack,” says Quad City DJ’s cofounder Johnny “Jay Ski” McGowan. “He says, ‘Man, they play your song over and over again.’ … It was amazing!” With only a single album to their name, Quad City DJ’s ran through the halls of Miami bass culture to launch a pop smash as thrilling, propulsive, and instantly monumental as His Airness. Faster than you can rhyme “room” with “kaboom,” Jay Ski, JeLana LaFleur, and Nathaniel “C.C. Lemonhead” Orange became the resounding slam dunk of history’s greatest intergalactic sports pop culture film.

“I’m like a proud uncle, sitting there smiling,” says Luther Campbell, a.k.a. Luke Skyywalker of Miami bass legends 2 Live Crew. “Anything at those times not coming from New York, people had no time for. … And for these guys to be successful on a major soundtrack and it’s a bass record? … I was happy, proud, elated anytime our music and culture from the South, especially from Florida, gets recognized.”

ff27f154059677a825ff2d0c8de736a9.gif

DefiantRegalIberianemeraldlizard-max-1mb.gif

TiPB.gif

YBS1.gif

https://www.theringer.com/music/2021...ong-soundtrack
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (07-15-2021),Docthehun (07-15-2021)

+ Reply to Thread