Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 183x in 111 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Them Before Us

This recent book & movement is about putting Them=kids before Us=adults. That is the traditional way, but modern times have strained, even destroyed the family. Here is the principle author Katy Faust being interviewed about Them Before Us:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agree, I guess, though I think Faust goes too far. IOW, the reaction to parents first shouldn't be children first, but simply family first. As you even say, "That is the traditional way, but modern times have strained, even destroyed the family."

And actually, the family and other natural social institutions as traditionally was the case, as argued by someone like Robert Nisbet in say Twilight of Authrotiy.

Deneen has a wonderful essay, "Awakening from the American Dream" in Conserving America?, about movies like Capra's "It's a Wondeful Life" and Levinson's Avalon" and the breakdown of the extended family into the nuclear during the 30s, 40s, 50s. I myself grew up my first 5 years in the early 50s in one upstairs apartment with my parents, next to another with my uncle and his wife, in the fam house owned by my grandmother. All before the race to the suburbs and single-family dwellings. --Not the only change of course, another was the shift from life in city streets on front porches to life in the suburbs on fenced in backyard patios....

An earlier Enlightened change took place prior to and leading up to the American Revolution, from patriarchal, hierarchical families where the father, the eldest was king of the castle to almost turning that upside down. Arguments even from the pulpits about how to raise kids went from blaming children when they misbehaved to blaming the parents. That mirrored the change from the view of the patriarchal, hierarchical monarchy of Medieval Europe based on obligation and loyalty, to one of social contract between the people and king as argued by Hobbes, Rousseau, and Locke. This is chronicled in great detail from source material by Wood in his The Radicalism of the American Revolution.

It's not just Enlightened liberalism and enfranchisement under democracy but also the atomized individualism brought about by industrialization and capitalism.

Anyway, some thoughts, hopefully on topic.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-15-2021),RMNIXON (07-15-2021)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,462
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,544x in 17,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still hear about all these young adults living with their parents, but with broken family structures how many generations does that last I wonder?

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    You still hear about all these young adults living with their parents, but with broken family structures how many generations does that last I wonder?

In the old days, sons and daughters worked and took care of retired parents. Today it's just the reverse.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    In the old days, sons and daughters worked and took care of retired parents. Today it's just the reverse.
    You live in deep Lalaland, provide some proof for such nonsense. I come from a large extended family and while a sister helped mom everyone did it on their own. And our / all the the sons and daughters do it on their own. Get out of your closet sometime.

And the Ruth institute is another conspiracy religious wacko group.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ruth-institute
    Last edited by midcan5; 07-15-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,575x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That is why social security was created. As America industrialized families spread out and didn't provide the support for elders as they had in the past.

Ignore the idiot response above.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-15-2021)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    You live in deep Lalaland, provide some proof for such nonsense. I come from a large extended family and while a sister helped mom everyone did it on their own. And our / all the the sons and daughters do it on their own. Get out of your closet sometime....
    You just gave your own counterexample with your sister. Isn't it great when you find yourself arguing with yourself?

As I described my family above, my grandmother was supported by my mother, her daughter, and my dad and my uncle and his wife.

When I say the old days, I mean much older than us.

+ Reply to Thread