User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DRIVING CHANGE Hyperloop zips commuters between cities in MINUTES moving as many peop

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DRIVING CHANGE Hyperloop zips commuters between cities in MINUTES moving as many peop

Pretty cool. I expect this will be used in the first manned outposts on the moon and Mars.

DRIVING CHANGE Hyperloop zips commuters between cities in MINUTES moving as many people as a 30 lane highway with levitation tech

HYPERLOOP systems will move as many people as a 30-lane highway between cities in minutes, according to Virgin Hyperloop's chief.

Speaking to Reuters on Monday, Josh Giegel said the upcoming transport technology would move "massive amounts of people" at the speed of an aircraft inside levitating capsules.

He also explained what it was like to ride inside one of the pods after taking part in a test run at a Virgin facility in Nevada last year alongside fellow staff member Sara Luchian.

"From starting this in a garage seven years ago, to drawing it up on a whiteboard, to sitting inside it, it was all very surreal," Giegel said.

"The acceleration was similar to a sportscar, and we were giddy.

"The biggest piece of that test was that the world saw two people get on a hyperloop, and saw two people get off.

He added: "Until that moment, everyone wondered 'Could it be safe for people?' Now we know that it is."

Developed by Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Hyperloop, the technology uses high-powered electromagnets to push levitating pods through a tube.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best hoping there are separate lines for each tube. Otherwise, the results could be.... messy.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 1950's Robert Heinlein wrote about "rolling roads", where the road, not the traveler moved. It was a conveyor belt system that you merely stepped on or off. The main issue I saw with that is that it wasn't just one belt, it had to be several running side by side in order to have a "step up" system when you could go from a stand still to 100 plus mph belt.

Unless acted upon by outside forces I believe private and personal transportation systems (i.e. automobiles, etc) will be with us for quite some time. At least as long as we are allowed some modicum of personal freedom in the future.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    In the 1950's Robert Heinlein wrote about "rolling roads", where the road, not the traveler moved. It was a conveyor belt system that you merely stepped on or off. The main issue I saw with that is that it wasn't just one belt, it had to be several running side by side in order to have a "step up" system when you could go from a stand still to 100 plus mph belt.

Unless acted upon by outside forces I believe private and personal transportation systems (i.e. automobiles, etc) will be with us for quite some time. At least as long as we are allowed some modicum of personal freedom in the future.
    I expect so too. That is why I mentioned in the first post that we will likely see these on the moon and Mars.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread