User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100 Years on a Dirty Dog: The History of Greyhound

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,630x in 25,167 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post 100 Years on a Dirty Dog: The History of Greyhound

100 Years on a Dirty Dog: The History of Greyhound - Greyhound has been busing Americans around for a century. But Greyhound’s journey to bus-industry dominance was far from smooth.

direct.jpg

As careers go, Carl Eric Wickman’s stint in the car business was less than auspicious. In 1913, the immigrant drill operator paid $3,000 to open a Goodyear Tire/Hupmobile car franchise in Hibbing, Minn., not far from the world’s largest open-pit iron mine. Unfortunately, Wickman was even worse at selling cars than he was at picking car makers—so the enterprising young Swede abandoned his dealership dreams soon after making his one and only sale … to himself.

Realizing that most iron miners were too poor to afford their own vehicle, Wickman decided to start transporting workers between Hibbing and Alice, a mining town two miles away. Cramming 15 passengers into his eight-seat “touring car,” the 27-year-old charged 15 cents a ride. On his first trip, in 1914, Wickman collected a grand total of $2.25. But 100 years later, that modest sum has grown into nearly a billion dollars in annual revenue.

Wickman, it turns out, pretty much invented intercity bus travel—which for most Americans equals Greyhound, the company that emerged from that long-ago Hupmobile ride. “Greyhound has become generic for bus travel,” says Robert Gabrick, author of Going The Greyhound Way. “Like Kleenex for tissues.” Indeed, this classic American business icon—which, as it happens, is now owned by a British conglomerate—today has more than 7,300 employees, with estimated yearly sales of $820 million and 2,000 buses serving 3,800 destinations in 48 U.S. states and nine Canadian provinces. “I’m amazed at Greyhound’s brand recognition,” says DePaul University professor Joseph Schwieterman, an authority on intercity bus travel. “It’s an American success story.”

direct.jpg

direct.jpg

direct.jpg

direct.jpg

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/1...=pocket-newtab

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (07-22-2021),Cotton1 (07-22-2021)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,145x in 28,535 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A warm crowded vehicle was probably preferred most of the year. I used to stay on Lake Superior in Duluth and drive over to accounts in Chisholm and Hibbing.

I was never so cold in my frickin life. In the winter the hotel came with free dipstick heaters and the parking lot was a web of extension cords.

I would have gladly hopped onto a warm bus.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (07-23-2021)

+ Reply to Thread